UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

If I'm correct, Madman used the same discs for their Ultimate Collection release (now out of print). If so, then Madman pretty much used the same discs as their previous releases, which in turn are based on Bandai Entertainment's release for Season 1 and the original Sentai releases for Season 2 and the movie (only the movie was previously given a UK release by Funimation UK, then known as Manga).

The original release had distorted and muddy audio on the music and effects track, if Funi are using those discs, I’d like to know if they fixed it.
just tried it and yes the audio channel is noticably rougher on the JP audio than the EN audio, just switching between them on the opening credit music was eyeopening.
also there is no indication on the disc labels which episodes are on which disc, just disc 5, 6, 7 etc so took me a couple of goes just to find the right episode. poor design imo.

If I'm correct, Madman used the same discs for their Ultimate Collection release (now out of print). If so, then Madman pretty much used the same discs as their previous releases, which in turn are based on Bandai Entertainment's release for Season 1 and the original Sentai releases for Season 2 and the movie (only the movie was previously given a UK release by Funimation UK, then known as Manga).
Correct, Madman very much likes to re-use older discs like Manga UK have done in the past.

2021-08-12.png
2021-08-12_1.png
2021-08-12_2.png

also there is no indication on the disc labels which episodes are on which disc, just disc 5, 6, 7 etc so took me a couple of goes just to find the right episode. poor design imo.

If it helps (this is based on them using the old discs), the episode split I believe is:
  • Disc 1 - Season 1 Ep. 1-4
  • Disc 2 - Season 1 Ep. 5-8
  • Disc 3 - Season 1 Ep. 9-12
  • Disc 4 - Season 1 Ep. 13-16
  • Disc 5 - Season 2 Ep. 1-9
  • Disc 6 - Season 2 Ep. 10-13
  • Disc 7 - Season 2 Ep. 14-22
  • Disc 8 - Season 2 Ep. 23-27
  • Disc 9 - The Movie
Even the menu for Season 1 still has the "Volume 1" etc mention which just further shows how old these were.

Correct, Madman very much likes to re-use older discs like Manga UK have done in the past.

If it helps (this is based on them using the old discs), the episode split I believe is:
  • Disc 1 - Season 1 Ep. 1-4
  • Disc 2 - Season 1 Ep. 5-8
  • Disc 3 - Season 1 Ep. 9-12
  • Disc 4 - Season 1 Ep. 13-16
  • Disc 5 - Season 2 Ep. 1-9
  • Disc 6 - Season 2 Ep. 10-13
  • Disc 7 - Season 2 Ep. 14-22
  • Disc 8 - Season 2 Ep. 23-27
  • Disc 9 - The Movie
Even the menu for Season 1 still has the "Volume 1" etc mention which just further shows how old these were.

yes the whole package feels cobbled together with very little effort put in.
I get that it's cheap and an old(ish) show but the lack of care and attention is just a bit sad really. sigh.

Btw guys if your outside the U.K. zavvi now adds EU vat to orders so your packages arrive without vat, the ioss logo is on the packages

Attachments

• 36FA1821-C38D-4BF5-9A1F-6F9F871E2F9C.jpeg
    36FA1821-C38D-4BF5-9A1F-6F9F871E2F9C.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 31
just tried it and yes the audio channel is noticably rougher on the JP audio than the EN audio, just switching between them on the opening credit music was eyeopening.

Thanks, saves me from double dipping to get that problem fixed.

Might give them a try again then 😃 I got something a couple of months ago and I had to pay VAT for that.
They only started the ioss scheme since the rules changed before that it seems it was random if people got caught with vat or not. You have to be in an EU country for it to work though. I assume some places like Switzerland would still need to pay the charges

Just watched episode 5 of K-On can anyone else tell me if at 14:41 the picture gets a lil messed up?

EDIT: Found a scratch on the disc, probably because of the card sleeves.... Also more visual glitches in episode 6!
IMG_20210814_010451.jpg
IMG_20210814_012529.jpg

Last edited:
I examined the discs earlier and saw some more tiny scratches that cause they picture to go like this.

Oh noIMG_20210815_090735.jpg

Now this is on disc 3, earlier I though only the ones in front (even numbered) had scratches.

Small scratches usually don't cause such problems. If the scratch affect the readability of the disc, then the player should usually skip the affected part (and make disc reading sounds). The corrupted frames are probably baked into the M2TS files.

Back