UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Going by the Funimation streams (which evidently came true for CLANNAD), the K-On! discs Manga currently have (atm) are the old Bandai Entertainment masters for Season 1 (which were released in four parts, hence 4 Blu-ray discs) and the old Sentai Filmworks collection disc masters for Season 2 (which received two parts, hence 4 Blu-ray discs also) as well as the old Sentai release for K-On! the Movie (the same one Manga released on Blu-ray years ago).

Sentai are known in recent years for basically improving their releases for every re-release. The Ultimate Collection release, which is 7 discs in total, improves on most of the issues (I believe there's an audio issue in Season 2 that wasn't fixed in the re-author but everything else was improved for the better). Also remember those K-On! shorts that were initially exclusive to the Japanese Blu-ray box? That's included in the Ultimate Collection release.
Ah, just had to scroll back to catch up on this... This may throw a spanner in my UK version ambitions...

So I got Clannad today and found it interesting that there's no Manga branding whatsoever on it. Would that normally have been the case even if it hadn't been for the latest news, or would they have made sure it wasn't Manga branded because of what I guess would have been the imminent announcement when they printed materials for it?

Plenty of Funi branding, ofc :p

So I got Clannad today and found it interesting that there's no Manga branding whatsoever on it. Would that normally have been the case even if it hadn't been for the latest news, or would they have made sure it wasn't Manga branded because of what I guess would have been the imminent announcement when they printed materials for it?

Plenty of Funi branding, ofc :p
The transition from Manga to Funimation slowly began last October with the release of My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising and eventually fully taking over with Fairy Tail: Final Season Part 4 and No Guns Life earlier this year. It just depends on what gets approved first is where the Manga branding lies, for instance Hetalia was supposed to be released last year hence why Manga's logo is on the packaging despite being released this month.

I don't mind the Funi logo as it means less mess on the spines. Now all that's left is to remove the BBFC logo on the spine and it's done.

Just saw Cannon gunbusters was arriving for some people, and I thought nice slightly early so mine will arrvie soon as I ordered it with BOFURI which should be released any day as I ordered them together from UP1, so went to go check stuff.

Did I miss something when I ordered them back in early April, I swear I checked them and the release date on the Manga UK pages was maybe 10 days differnce (BOFURI was the end of April). But now all the MangaUK pages I've checked says that Bofuri got delayed till the end of June. But they say that update was done :
"March 16 Update
BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, So I’ll Max Out My Defence moves from April 26 to June 28."
So did I miss something or did they just stealth it in there and then call it a March 16th update when in fact it was like a update from the last week?

Last edited:
Going by the Funimation streams (which evidently came true for CLANNAD), the K-On! discs Manga currently have (atm) are the old Bandai Entertainment masters for Season 1 (which were released in four parts, hence 4 Blu-ray discs) and the old Sentai Filmworks collection disc masters for Season 2 (which received two parts, hence 4 Blu-ray discs also) as well as the old Sentai release for K-On! the Movie (the same one Manga released on Blu-ray years ago).

Sentai are known in recent years for basically improving their releases for every re-release. The Ultimate Collection release, which is 7 discs in total, improves on most of the issues (I believe there's an audio issue in Season 2 that wasn't fixed in the re-author but everything else was improved for the better). Also remember those K-On! shorts that were initially exclusive to the Japanese Blu-ray box? That's included in the Ultimate Collection release.
If you look at the placeholder cover that was included with the leaked Anime-on-Line listing last year, it was the K-On! ultimate collection cover with Manga/Funimation logos on it, but as you say, that was a 7-disc set. I've emailed Funimanga to ask for clarification on which version they're releasing, so I'll let everyone know if I get a reply.

Regarding the problems with the older releases, the main ones I can see mentioned are season 1 not having lossless audio, season 2 episode 11 having slightly muffled audio, and season 2 having huge subtitles. A song was also replaced in episode 1, but that's bound to have been a licencing issue, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened on the 2019 release. I think the jumbo-sized subtitles are the main one that would bother me.

Got Funimation about a month ago to watch/support Dynazenon.

PS4 app is broken as hell. Makes me laugh it has a "Watch the new episode!" feature. It either won't load, loads the previous ep or this week it's the last episode with the new one's subs on it.

What marvellous quality I'm paying for.

PS4 app is broken as hell. Makes me laugh it has a "Watch the new episode!" feature. It either won't load, loads the previous ep or this week it's the last episode with the new one's subs on it.

My favourite bug is where you click to continue watching a series and it plays the previous episode but says its playing the new episode then you either watch the OP or use the R2 trigger to skip forward.
That also only works 50% of the time to watch 3 or 4 mins of an episode to think 'hold on, I've seen this!? I think!?! Have I seen this?? It says episode 5 and I definitely watched episode 4 a week ago!'...

TL;DR - PS4 app is a flaming pile of rubbish!

Switch ain't too bad but still not perfect.

ALSO!! you know why I support legal streaming?! Because I like watching the newest anime straight from Japan an hour after it airs on my 65'' 4K TV in glorious 540p!!!! 😍

Yeah, that happens on Xbox as well. To fix the sub issue you need to fast forward to create a bookmark, come out of the episode, reload from bookmark and restart the episode.

Rubbish.

Yeah, that happens on Xbox as well. To fix the sub issue you need to fast forward to create a bookmark, come out of the episode, reload from bookmark and restart the episode.

Rubbish.
LoL bookmarks! Welcome to PlayStation!
Pause too long, starts the episode again.
Come out of episode and go back in, starts episode again.
Press the 'PS' menu button, starts episode again.
Get out of here bragging about your fancy bookmarks! 😂

Back