Overseas US: FUNimation Limited Edition, Anime Classics and S.A.V.E./Essentials releases

st_owly said:
I might be interested in taking your spare set of discs, if you're wanting rid. I bought Khazi's release cheap at a con (because I wanted the plushie...) but I didn't realise how terrible the discs were...

Was that in the direction of fabricatedlunatic or myself?

If it was in the direction of myself then I'd be happy to pass on one of my two current sets of disks although I'd like to understand what the situation is re: do I end up with a third set first...

I'd even let you choose the sealed or unsealed set although I would want to test the unsealed set first.

Or I could just shoot myself in the foot and inform you that there is what is probably the same as the two sets I've got (no box but LE disks + amrays) on amazon.es for about £15...
http://www.amazon.es/gp/offer-listing/B0069556PO/

msgeek said:
st_owly said:
I might be interested in taking your spare set of discs, if you're wanting rid. I bought Khazi's release cheap at a con (because I wanted the plushie...) but I didn't realise how terrible the discs were...

Was that in the direction of fabricatedlunatic or myself?

If it was in the direction of myself then I'd be happy to pass on one of my two current sets of disks although I'd like to understand what the situation is re: do I end up with a third set first...

I'd even let you choose the sealed or unsealed set although I would want to test the unsealed set first.

Or I could just shoot myself in the foot and inform you that there is what is probably the same as the two sets I've got (no box but LE disks + amrays) on amazon.es for about £15...
http://www.amazon.es/gp/offer-listing/B0069556PO/

Twas meant for you. No hurry, it's more an if you wanted rid, I'd be happy to help. PJ holds the rare distinction of being something I own physically and have watched, hence how I discovered the discs were terrible. This means I'm not in a desperate hurry to rewatch.

msgeek said:
On the subject of Fruits Basket...(my confusion continues) 704400010408 which is listed in the spreadsheet under remarks actually looks very much like a chipboard set...
e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRUITS-BASKET-T ... 2071079762

704400031069 - which is it's spreadsheet entry looks like a "collectors" edition... Can anyone confirm?

Here's a link to a youtube video where someone unboxes Funimation's collector's edition http://youtu.be/cCH-GWHF8-Q - looks like a chipboard box to me

Mrclt1994 said:
msgeek said:
On the subject of Fruits Basket...(my confusion continues) 704400010408 which is listed in the spreadsheet under remarks actually looks very much like a chipboard set...
e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRUITS-BASKET-T ... 2071079762

704400031069 - which is it's spreadsheet entry looks like a "collectors" edition... Can anyone confirm?

Here's a link to a youtube video where someone unboxes Funimation's collector's edition http://youtu.be/cCH-GWHF8-Q - looks like a chipboard box to me

Yeah - Sorry. To clarify, I wasn't saying that the CE wasn't chipboard, just that there appears to be a different version (the one in the ebay link - note the different covers from the CE in the unboxing) that is also chipboard...

Stupid question... I've been through the list to try and work out which LE's are DVD only AND have no alternate BD release which includes an English Dub track.

The list I came out with ended up as;
Hetalia Sets
Chrome Shelled Regios
Fruits Basket
Hero Tales
Rosario + Vampire
Sacred Blacksmith
Shangri La

Would anyone who is a little more knowledgeable than myself be so kind as to glance over that list and confirm it appears correct? I'd ideally like to "sanity check" that those sets indeed do not have an alternate BD release (which includes Eng dub track) and also that I'm not missing any from that list (i.e. the rest of the DVD LE's do have BD versions with dub available...

Hope that makes sense?

Edit: in other news unboxing vids of the FMA CE and LE have hit youtube. it does indeed look like the LE is not chipboard whilst the CE does contain a chipboard box...

msgeek said:
Stupid question... I've been through the list to try and work out which LE's are DVD only AND have no alternate BD release which includes an English Dub track.

The list I came out with ended up as;
Hetalia Sets
Chrome Shelled Regios
Fruits Basket
Hero Tales
Rosario + Vampire
Sacred Blacksmith
Shangri La

Would anyone who is a little more knowledgeable than myself be so kind as to glance over that list and confirm it appears correct? I'd ideally like to "sanity check" that those sets indeed do not have an alternate BD release (which includes Eng dub track) and also that I'm not missing any from that list (i.e. the rest of the DVD LE's do have BD versions with dub available...

Hope that makes sense?

Edit: in other news unboxing vids of the FMA CE and LE have hit youtube. it does indeed look like the LE is not chipboard whilst the CE does contain a chipboard box...

That seems about right.

You might as well as Riddle Story of Devil to the list seeing as that's DVD only with an English dub and LE with no Blu-ray release.

NormanicGrav said:
That seems about right.

You might as well as Riddle Story of Devil to the list seeing as that's DVD only with an English dub and LE with no Blu-ray release.

Are you talking about the Japan release or is there a western release I'm not seeing for that?

edit: to clarify my purpose in this list is to ensure that I get myself BD versions of the rest of the Funi DVD LE's (the ones that exist)...

Ah ok... makes sense. I guess I'll add t to my to buy list if I want to keep on top of the LE's... Shame about no BD... Any idea why? I presume predicted sales figures?

msgeek said:
Ah ok... makes sense. I guess I'll add t to my to buy list if I want to keep on top of the LE's... Shame about no BD... Any idea why? I presume predicted sales figures?

As mentioned by Grav in his thread, it's because of the Kadokawa's Blu-ray Holdback scheme. Not sure exactly what that entails myself, probably to stop reverse imports.

As always, thanks for the pointer NormanicGrav, i've added both Riddle Story of Devil LE and Haganai Season 1 Anime Classics to the spreadsheet.

Added Black Lagoon: The Complete Series: Collector's Edition to the spreadsheet, seems i completely overlooked that title :oops:

Also added some region codes for LE editions, taking the FUNimation website as the source. Need to go through the Anime Classics and S.A.V.E. titles to also add region codes where missing and available on the FUNimation website.

An interesting find?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Witchblade-TV ... 1a06599ceb
Shamelessly stolen photo...
$_57.JPG

Looks chipboard...?

Stiivun said:
Interesting yes, but it's not a chipboard edition, see image 4 and 7 of that eBay listing.
Image 4 seems to be a cardboard box inside the chipboard box?
Image 7 just seems to be the cardboard box without the chipboard casing...

I found an unboxing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8UEGb3P-4

certainly looks chipboard to me?

Edit: Solty Rei looks like it has a chipboard edition... these two are (from what I can see) from 2007 so don't know if there is a cut-off in the spreadsheet / the data source? I found a copy of the Solty Rei "LE" that was pretty reasonable and included all disks so I took a punt on it.

Solty Rei unboxing at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSN2iKK3Mz8

I wonder if there are more of these?

Thanks for the links, i'll check them this evening and then add these also to the spreadsheet.

Also added Terror in Resonance: The Complete Series to the spreadsheet, slated for a January 2016 release. And also changed sheet name for LE from Limited Edition to Limited Edition and Chipboard Boxed.

Come to think of it, maybe it would be an idea to actually have a separate sheet so Limited Edition and Chipboard Boxed have their own sheet.

Thoughts about this are welcome.

Don't know re: separate sheets as pretty much all the "chipboard" ones I've seen I've seen listed as "Limited" somewhere... :S

TBH I may be heading down the rabbit hole with these older chipboard sets... Just try searching ebay.COM for funimation box.

Loads of results many of which look like Funi releases in chipboard boxes...

edit: I took a bit of a look to see how deep the rabbit hole goes... Came up with (in addition to the ones mentioned above);

Rumbling Hearts
Paradise Kiss
Glass Fleet
DBZ Box vol 3 (presume other boxes)
Basilisk (it's a damn wooden box!) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basilisk-All-Vo ... 3ab3e1b8e1
Kiddy Grade (4 disk + 8 disk versions?)
Kodocha (Babbit Box version)
Speed Grapher
Red Garden
Desert Punk
Spiral
Baki the Grappler (probably S2 too)

*EDIT: Re-wrote the post because a lot of info just got unveiled*

The following Limited/Premium Edition sets are no longer showing up on Funimation's shopping section:
- Appleseed XIII
- Aquarion EVOL Part 1
- Aria the Scarlet Ammo
- Attack on Titan Part 1
- C: The Money and Soul of Possibility Control
- Code Breaker
- Darker Than Black Season 1
- Fractale
- Freezing Vibration
- Ghost in the Shell ARISE Japanese Imports
- Kamisama Kiss
- Level E
- Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
- Maken-Ki!
- Nobunagun
- Shakugan no Shana Season 3 Part 1
- Soul Eater
- Space Dandy Season 1
- We Without Wings

The following S.A.V.E. sets are no longer showing up on Funimation's shopping section:
- Jing King of Bandits: Seventh Heaven
- Sasami Magical Girls Club: Season 1

Guilty Crown sets (both Part 1 and 2) are also selling out so I advise everyone who's still looking for them to order straight away. I suspect a S.A.V.E. re-release is planned at some point.

So here's the remaining sets (based on Funi Shop listings):

- Hero Tales: Part 1 [DVD]
- Spice & Wolf: Season 2 [Blu-ray/DVD]

- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt [DVD]
- Strike Witches: Season 2 [Blu-ray/DVD]
- Tenchi Muyo! Movies Collection [Blu-ray/DVD]

- Blood-C [Blu-ray/DVD]
- The Future Diary: Part 1 [DVD]
- Guilty Crown: Part 1 [Blu-ray/DVD] *this one is selling out pretty soon*
- Last Exile -Fam, the Silver Wing-: Part 1 [Blu-ray/DVD]

- Robotics;Notes: Part 1 [Blu-ray/DVD]
- Senran Kagura [Blu-ray/DVD]