Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker Than Black sequels in the works?

melonpan

Death Scythe
Information is scarce, but Canned Dogs is <a href="http://zepy.momotato.com/2008/07/04/bones/">reporting</a> that Japanese animation studio Bones has a sequel to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullmetal_Alchemist">Fullmetal Alchemist</a> in its planning stages - with <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=3555">Irie Yasuhiro</a> as the director, and that they're "working on" a sequel to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darker_than_black">Darker Than Black</a>.&nbsp; The information comes via a leaked private&nbsp;document that contains personal information of the staff involved, and other unfortunate information for the company involved.&nbsp;
<strong>Update:</strong>&nbsp; Studio Bones have issued an <a href="http://www.bones.co.jp/news/archives/000529.html">official statement</a> explaining that the document was leaked by a third party,&nbsp;thus being fake, and that the document doesn't exist inside Bones' office.&nbsp; One discrepancy remains however, that being only one of the animators on the list - the Mnemosyne anime director - included all their real personal information such as phone numbers and addresses.&nbsp;&nbsp; Canned Dogs also <a href="http://zepy.momotato.com/2008/07/06/bones-says-animator-list-is-fake/">notes</a> that nowhere on Bones' official statement&nbsp;does it say that legal action will be taken or that the police will be involved.&nbsp;

*throws up violently* (in a GOOD way!)

If this is true, it's made my year. The Fullmetal Alchemist anime has a special place in my heart, and a sequel would just be beyond amazing.

I've kind of always wanted to see sequels to older awesome series.

Oh, and I find the document, I'm not going to post it, but I'll try and find quotes from it or something. I doubt I will though.

melonpan said:
If this is true, it's made my year. The Fullmetal Alchemist anime has a special place in my heart, and a sequel would just be beyond amazing.

Agree 100%! :] I hope this turns out to be true!

From what I've read (avoiding spoilers in the process), DtB's ending was a bit open-ended and 'meh' but given the quality of the episodes I saw, a sequel will probably be very welcome indeed.

Trouble is I'm still waiting to finish the first season! It's been so long since the licencing was announced I've forgotten who's supposed to be releasing the DVDs...

EDIT: a quick check reveals it's under the charge of Funimation. I wonder what the hold-up is in lack of news? :?

Martin said:
From what I've read (avoiding spoilers in the process), DtB's ending was a bit open-ended and 'meh' but given the quality of the episodes I saw, a sequel will probably be very welcome indeed.

Trouble is I'm still waiting to finish the first season! It's been so long since the licencing was announced I've forgotten who's supposed to be releasing the DVDs...

EDIT: a quick check reveals it's under the charge of Funimation. I wonder what the hold-up is in lack of news? :?

According to Funimation at an American convention last month (or around that time), the materials for producing the R1 release of DtB had been delayed a whole 8 months from when it was announced (this time last year, at Anime Expo 2007). So, Funimation got the materials in April, I'd assume (I hadn't worked that out before).
And, Ouran High School Host Club just got announced as having a late October release date, and was licensed at the same time at DtB, so a release date around that point would be assumed. More information will come at the Funimation panel though, I'm sure.

A Fullmetal Alchemest sequel could work extremely well chronicling their adventures through the gate. While I thought that the end of the series was where it could have ended while still being open I felt that the movie (even though I enjoyed) sort of closed that and made the series seem unfinished starting a new bookend for a possible second series.

I look forward to it. The anime was always better than it's manga counterpart anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lupus Inu said:
FMA sequal? DO NOT WANT. Unless by sequal it's a restart and the follow the manga in which case DO WANT.
So basically you want them to turn FMA into a 300+ episode shonen jump style series? Haven't we got enough of those already.

Sy said:
Lupus Inu said:
FMA sequal? DO NOT WANT. Unless by sequal it's a restart and the follow the manga in which case DO WANT.
So basically you want them to turn FMA into a 300+ episode shonen jump style series? Haven't we got enough of those already.
So how much of the manga have you read?

Lupus Inu said:
So how much of the manga have you read?
First 5 books. Compared to the anime everything just seem to go with any flow it wants and almost everybody is less developed or interesting.

Probably because it didn't have to fit it into 51 episodes, and has more time to spread it across, the manga is coming to an end now, which will probably be 100 chapters long so I'd prefer a real anime-manga adaption. Considering the anime is pretty close to the manga until like volume 6/episode 25.

i wish tht this fma news is true would be really cool i would like both to be made a sequel to the current anime exploring there story line and also one which follows the manga which is super interesting imo esp at the moment considering its nearing its end

I've enjoyed the anime and as Sy said, the movie gives a nice closing to it. I wonder which kind of setting they would come up for a second season. I've never read the manga, so I can't say anything to which is better anime or manga.

chaos said:
I wonder which kind of setting they would come up for a second season.
I would say that it would be around Europe set just before or during the second world war. The darker atmosphere and inability to use alchemy and instead turning it into a sort of steampunk series could really bring new life into the story. I guess a story about them trying to get back to the other world could work if done right but I think a story about the brothers trying to adapt and survive through a whole new world on the eve of WW2 without alchemy to save them could potentially become a whole lot more interesting.

I think I've been misunderstood, which isn't surprising since the post where I said it was a bit of a jumble.

I thought that the end of the series was a fine ending. Some things were closed, some were left open with hints as to where they would lead and you were left to imagine what the brothers would do. There wasn't any need to show it really because it was obvious that the bond between them was still strong despite being seperated. The brotherly bond to be was the main theme of the series and I was happy if that were the end and no more.

Then the movie happened and we actually saw what happened to them. Now even though I do find it an extremely entertaining movie and I guess at first glance it does seem like the story is given more closure. However, the movie made me actually want to see what the brothers do next now they're together again and to me seemed more like a set up for another series rather than 'the end'.

So to sum it up. After I watched the series I felt the story that needed to be told was complete but after watching the movie it felt incomplete again.

I'd really like a new Fullmetal Alchemist series. I've heard from numerous people saying that the anime adaptation kills the original story in a way, so I still want to read the FMA manga in full eventually even if this does go through. Also, FMA in 1080p would be epic.

I dunno, though. I want it and since its Studio BONES and the probability rate of it being actually.. bad is fairly low (imo). Its too early for me to think about the prospect of a sequal happening.

With Darker Than BLACK, I can't say I enjoyed the first bit I watched of it, However, I think I'll probably get the DVDs when it eventually gets released since its generally highly approved by people and it was interesting enough.

Note: This post barely makes sense. -__-

Lupus Inu said:

What's the point? Like Sy said... There are too many shounen adaptions.

Besides.. I remember a member saying about a sequel based on 'Engineering' than 'Alchemy'

I rather have that than a reboot of FMA just to follow the manga =P

Edit: I noticed... Sy pointed out the idea. So yah... Give me Fullmetal Engineer any day.

Back