Full Details on Manga Animatsu’s Mamoru Hosoda Collection Releases for the UK

N

NormanicGrav

The wait is almost over and Manga Animatsu have some more info provided for these special Mamoru Hosoda re-releases.

Earlier in the year distributor Manga Animatsu announced they will be re-releasing three Mamoru Hosoda works in special edition sets similar to the model that Funimation have used over in the United States. These three films have already been released prior, but this is a special edition that offers enough to consider double-dipping!

Just to save folks the time and space, each title will contain English & Japanese audio with English subtitles and will cost at an SRP £29.99. They’re also Blu-ray & DVD combo packs!

Now then! We’ll be going through each title at a time starting with…

Girl-Who-Leapt-poster.jpg

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo

Original Japanese Theatrical Release: 15th July 2006
UK Hosoda Collection Release: 27th November 2017
Rated: 12

It’s been 11 years since the film was released and now it’s a great opportunity to revisit it with this brand new re-release! While many folks will have probably already picked up the movie for a low price point, this re-release may be worth a double-dip as it contains a ton more content both on-disc and physically!

Over in the US, Bandai Entertainment originally had the rights half a decade ago, and now Funimation rescued it with a new transfer and more content. Manga UK’s previous Blu-ray release was authored by a Spanish distributor called Selecta Vision with no extra content (unless you count Spanish trailers). Manga Animatsu’s Hosoda Collection is confirmed to include the on-disc features listed below for DVD. UPDATE: Confirmed to be using the 2011 authored release released by Manga UK.

Hosoda-Girl-Who-2.jpg

The Hosoda release will include the following on-disc features:

• Premiere Screening Event
  • Direction File (A Talk With the Director)
  • Behind the Scenes at Premiere Screening Event
  • Hanako Oku “Garnet” Music Video
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Promo Clip
  • Feature Commentary
  • Feature with Storyboard
  • Feature with Storyboard Commentary
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers

In addition the physical contents include:

• A Premium clear sleeve
  • An exclusive 52-page Booklet:
    • Behind-the-Scenes Content about the Film
    • Making-of Spotlights
    • Interviews
    • A message from Director Mamoru Hosoda
    • Artwork

After waking up late, flunking her pop quiz, embarrassing herself on numerous occasions, and starting a fire in her home economics class, high school student Makoto Konno figures she’s just having one of those days. And just when she thinks she’s made it through, the brakes on her bike malfunction putting her on a collision course with a speeding train. The life-ending accident would have been the perfect end to the worst day ever, but the strangest thing happens—she leaps backwards in time.

After unlocking her new ability, Makoto does what any teenager would do. She re-takes tests, corrects embarrassing situations, and sleeps in as late as she wants, never thinking that her carefree time travelling could have a negative effect on the people she cares about. By the time she realizes the damage she’s done, she only has a few leaps left to make things right.

Summer-Wars-poster-1.jpg

Summer Wars

Original Japanese Theatrical Release: 1st August 2009
UK Hosoda Collection Release: 11th December 2017
Rated: 12

Summer Wars was released 8 years ago, and this time we have a new Digimon mov… no wait. Jokes aside, Summer Wars is a great fun for everyone and this re-release offers a nice treat for the fans and newcomers.

Over in the US, Funimation acquired the license and released it with Manga & Madman following soon after. Manga UK’s previous Blu-ray release was authored by Australian distributor Madman and since it matches the Funimation release, the on-disc content was the same back then (but with different trailers). Manga Animatsu’s Hosoda Collection will share the same on-disc content as before (however it’s not entirely clear if the discs are identical to the previous release or not). Never the less, here’s the final artwork:

Hosoda-Summer-Wars-2.jpg

• Interview with Mamoru Hosoda (Director)
  • Interview with Ryunosuke Kamiki (Kenji Koiso)
  • Interview with Nanami Sakuraba (Natsuki Shinohara)
  • Interview with Mitsuki Tanimura (Kazuma Ikezawa)
  • Interview with Ayumu Saito (Wabisuke Jinnouchi)
  • Interview with Sumiko Fuji (Sakae Jinnouchi)
  • Teaser Trailers (2 trailers)
  • Teaser TV Spot
  • Original Trailer
  • TV Spots (7 spots)

• A Premium clear sleeve
    • Concept art
    • An Interview with the Director
    • Behind-the-Scenes Looks into the Creation of Oz and the Development of the Jinnouchi family
    • And More!

Worlds collide in a tale where virtual reality meets actual reality. When Kenji Koiso is pulled from Oz-a popular social networking realm-to play “fiancé” to classmate Natsuki, he faces a mess of challenges. Between the boisterous and bickering characters of the Jinnouchi clan and the sudden chaos in Oz, Kenji and his new companions must learn the importance of coming together to face the toughest of odds.

Wolf-Children-poster.jpg

Wolf Children

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

Original Japanese Theatrical Release: 21st July 2012
UK Hosoda Collection Release: 13th November 2017
Rated: PG

Wolf Children was released 5 years ago, and was also among one of the first anime films Manga UK brought to the cinema in the past decade. It’s a wonderful film and heart-warming for many to enjoy and watch. This re-release also offers a nice treat for both the fans and newcomers.

Over in the US, Funimation acquired the license and released it with Manga & Madman following soon after. Manga UK’s previous Blu-ray release was authored by Australian distributor Madman and since it matches the Funimation release, the on-disc content was the same back then. The previous release was even given a collector’s edition combo pack with four exclusive art card designs and a slipcase. Manga Animatsu’s Hosoda Collection will share the same on-disc content as before (however it’s not entirely clear if the discs are identical to the previous release or not). Never the less, here’s the final artwork:

Hosoda-Wolf-Children-2.jpg

• U.S. Actor & Staff Commentary
  • Stage Greetings
  • PR video Director’s Versions 01 & 02
  • Promotional Video
  • Original Trailer
  • Original Teaser
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers

• A Premium clear sleeve
    • Concept Art
    • Interviews
    • And More!

When Hana fell in love, she never imagined that her beloved would be part wolf. Accepting him, she fell for the handsome wolf man and embraced a new life filled with unique challenges. Blessed by love, their family grew with two additions, Yuki and Ame. However, happiness was fleeting and tragedy struck their happy family. Suddenly alone, Hana is left to raise their children without any guidance. With few resources, she struggles to learn how to raise wolf children in a world that could never understand them. But love always perseveres, and together, this exceptional family will face every trial on the path to their own happiness.

And that is all of the information provided so far. The current release date listed above are correct as the distributor confirmed that there were some delays for select titles prior to this article.

Many will be asking about the other Hosoda titles, and unfortunately The Boy and the Beast was acquired by Studio Canal instead of Manga Animatsu so there won’t be a Hosoda Collection release for that title. Digimon: The Movie is also strangely still available under 20th Century Fox on DVD. On the plus side Manga Animatsu do have the rights to One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island which is available as part of the One Piece Movie Collection 2 DVD box set, however Funimation currently do not own the rights so there are no plans for any special release at the time of this post.

Continue reading...

Many will be asking about the other Hosoda titles, and unfortunately The Boy and the Beast was acquired by Studio Canal instead of Manga Animatsu so there won’t be a Hosoda Collection release for that title.
Not here at least. There is a Funimation version: The Boy and the Beast: Hosoda Collection Blu-ray
Their original release of the film worked here according to the US region B compatible thread, but this isn't on that list.

Liking the look of these since they're replicating the look of Funi's Hosoda collection sets but when you say TGWLTT is using the 2011 authored release Manga did, does this mean it's not the new transfer Funi made and it's basically the same disc from before?

Liking the look of these since they're replicating the look of Funi's Hosoda collection sets but when you say TGWLTT is using the 2011 authored release Manga did, does this mean it's not the new transfer Funi made and it's basically the same disc from before?

Unfortunately that is the case, according to what they said on Twitter. The DVDs might be carried over from Bandai's release (as I recall Manga did release a collector's edition DVD with bonus extras before).

There should be review discs for these films, so we'll know more about it then.

Unfortunately that is the case, according to what they said on Twitter. The DVDs might be carried over from Bandai's release (as I recall Manga did release a collector's edition DVD with bonus extras before).

There should be review discs for these films, so we'll know more about it then.

There won't be. I got an e-mail saying that since they're repacks of existing discs not new prints, there won't be any check discs.

Welp. This is going to be something. Granted Summer Wars and Wolf Children have no issues to my knowledge as I have the BDs for all three films.
For me it's not much of a problem as I haven't brought any of these films before and it's good to know about Summer Wars and Wolf Children not having problems, but this means TGWLTT will have this problem still:
I think that the subtitlers worked from the central dialogue channel to create the captions. There are scenes in the film where voices come from the rear and around the soundstage. When there isn't any dialogue in the central channel, there aren't any subtitles, which means in one important scene, subtitles are missing.
It's probably the one non-Ghibli film I've seen enough in English to not be a problem when I watch it in Japanese.

I don't own any of these films so I'm intrested in picking them up. The only one I'm not sure on is Summer Wars as I wasn't a big fan of it.

I don't own any of these films so I'm intrested in picking them up. The only one I'm not sure on is Summer Wars as I wasn't a big fan of it.
I've got TGWLTT and WC on pre-order and I've put SW on my wishlist so I may or may not get it for Christmas (I found it OK, so if someone else were to buy it for me I wouldn't be too upset :D)

Back