Finally made an account!

AnimeCollectorUK

Brigade Leader
Hi everyone,

I've been an infrequent lurker of these forums for about three years now, checking up on them every few months. I was looking for a new community to join earlier and thought it would be a good time to make an account on here.

I'm a freelance web developer in my early 20s and got properly into anime in 2013. Since then I have seen over 300 shows and amassed a pretty decent physical collection of anime and manga as well as some figures and other merch.

I attend MCM Comic Con in Glasgow every year and was at Miku Expo in London earlier this year, which was absolutely spectacular.

My favourite anime include Welcome to the NHK, Steins;Gate and Beck. I'm also really like Azumanga Daioh as you may be able to tell from my avatar, although I much prefer the manga for that one. Some other manga I like are Osamu Tezuka's Message to Adolf, Battle Royale, JoJo and Watamote. I'm willing to try pretty much any genre, from moeblob to horror.

Like many of you I'm also a gamer and mostly play JRPGs. Big fan of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, including the Persona games.

Besides anime, manga and video games, I like to travel and have a strong interest in the British Rail network. I keep a record of each train station I visit and always travel by train when viable. I haven't been out of the UK much but I am interested in Eastern Europe and have plans to visit Ukraine in the very near future.

Thanks for reading, I'm sure you'll hear more from me soon! 😊

Welcome, @AnimeCollectorUK now you are amongst the... I don't know what to call these people.

I would say the only manga I really have that isn't my usual taste is City and Made in Abyss, though Abyss is still pretty close. One of my own faves is claymore so you can pretty much guess my taste from that

I haven't seen beck though but steins gate and NHK? Some good choices there NHK is a bit of a gem to find though when everyone already knows Steins, probably one of the ones newbies hear about the most

Welcome, @AnimeCollectorUK now you are amongst the... I don't know what to call these people.

I would say the only manga I really have that isn't my usual taste is City and Made in Abyss, though Abyss is still pretty close. One of my own faves is claymore so you can pretty much guess my taste from that

I haven't seen beck though but steins gate and NHK? Some good choices there NHK is a bit of a gem to find though when everyone already knows Steins, probably one of the ones newbies hear about the most
NHK is actually what properly got me into anime, which sounds strange to say because of all the references to other anime and otaku culture that I didn't really get at the time - I just thought the premise sounded so unique that I had to check it and out, and 300 series later I still haven't found anything massively similar to it.

Welcome to the forum.
Some really good choices there.
It would be cool to see some pictures of your collection.
I really enjoyed the shin megami tensei games. I pretty much grew up on RPGs.
As for trains I know shadow cat a big fan of them.

@AnimeCollectorUK:

Wow, what a really good introduction. Welcome to AUKN! 😀

NHK is something of a favourite of mine too, and you're right that it's pretty unique. The nearest I've ever come across is an 11-episode series called The Tatami Galaxy. That one's another favourite.

Funnily enough, I have the same opinion of Azumanga as you do when it comes to the manga versus the anime. In fact, there was a bit of chat about it quite recently:

And yeah, as @Denny Fisher points out, @Shadow Cat is interested in trains, too, and also collects model railway.

Good to have you here. 👍

I really should get round to watching Tatami Galaxy; its been on my plan to watch list for far too long. And yeah, the Azumanga anime really doesn't have the same charm as the manga.

Welcome to the forum

I've only just read Azumanga but watched the show about 7 years ago so cant easily compare them. Enjoyable Slice of Life but like Lucky Star its not one I'm going to be rewatching anytime soon

As mentioned by others I'm also into trains (more about seeing either older multiple units or Loco) and using rover tickets to travel around local areas.

Currently planning a Z Gauge layout but not got very far with that so far :/

Back