faulty dvds at expo?

garrison

Completely Average High School Student
Hey there everyone.

I was at expo this weekend and picked up four dvds from the same company. I know the odds of this are astronomical but every single one is faulty. Three of them make a loud wiring noise in the player when they run, but other than that they work fine. The last wont work at all. I haven't put the companies name since it would be unfair to flame them on something that is probably just a bad batch but if anyone else want to reply here and let me know that they had the same prob or PM me with the specific titles I would really appreciate it since it would put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance everyone

Garrison

Dang that's really harsh that ALL of them are faulty. I only bought one DVD at Expo and it works perfectly. Maybe the whirring noise is a fault in your DVD player?

The dvds I bought were Full Metal Alch 1 and 2, and Samurai Champ 1 and 2. Both Full Metal make that noise in my player and my xbox and so does Samurai 1. Samurai 2 doesnt work at all.

The underside of the disks looks mottled, like it hasent been pressed completelly or something.

I know this isnt MVM's fault since they get they're dvds made by an external company.

Im just curious if anyone else has had the same problem.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah like I said it was probably just my bad luck. Thats why I didnt mention the name at first since it would have been unfair to MVM as it might have made them look bad.

It sounds like there was a fualt in the manufacturing of those dvds, your best bet is to contact MVM, they shoud hopefully send you replacement copies.

Oh now you've said the name of the disks i can say i've had the same problem, i didn't buy them from the expo though, just from their website. I have FMA volume 2 and Samurai Champloo volume 1 (i havn't got around to buying the second yet), and they are exactly the same. They make a really loud wiring noise and are mottled on the underside. I got a replacement for FMA when i first got it but the replacement was exactly the same

Have you tried to play them on any other players? It would help to rule out the possibility that the player you've been using is at fault.

Aye they do play alot better in my PS2, though i can't actually play dvds properly in that anymore which is annoying.
Is a bit of a coincidence that it is just these particular disks that don't play properly in our dvd players, though we could have the same dvd players, and it could be something to do with that :? .
And it does make me a bit reluctant to buy Samurai Champloo volume 2 now

It does seem to vary slightly depending on what player your using. When I tried them on my mac it seems to start making the noise and then stops. Ive just had my replacments sent through and they are all exactly the same so it must just be a faulty batch.

If thats all it is I could live with them as they are but im just slightly concerned about long term damage to my player. I dont even know if it even could damage it.

Samurai Champ 2 doesnt make the noise but it is missng the menu. You just get a blank screen. But if you just press your select button it will start fine. Its been the same on both discs ive got.

garrison said:
Samurai Champ 2 doesnt make the noise but it is missng the menu. You just get a blank screen. But if you just press your select button it will start fine. Its been the same on both discs ive got.

I had this problem with the promo of Samurai Champloo 2. I found it to be a problem with the player rather then the disc. The menu displayed incorrectly on a Pioneer DV-575A and played correctly on a Philips DVD-634.

Is this a fault that should be the responsibility of the DVD publisher or the players’ manufacturer?

I feel this is a bit of a grey area to be honest.

garrison said:
If thats all it is I could live with them as they are but im just slightly concerned about long term damage to my player. I dont even know if it even could damage it.
I was wondering about this also, though i suppose it can't be helped, i hope to get a new dvd player at some point anyway, a nice multi-region, so hopefully they will play fine on that

Back