Carnival Phantasm needs a blu-ray release. I would buy it in a heart beat.
Prophetic as true to my word I am pre-ordering Fate Grand Carnival as soon as I get paid in a few weeks. It will be glorious.

Yeah this is just a me gushing post but...

I can't believe we are finally getting a follow up to Carnival Phantasm after 10 years, and I can't believe it's getting an english Blu-ray release as well. Yeah I am totally rewatching the original for the build up.

Sorry UFOtable but being second best isn't a bad position.

Last edited:
Prophetic as true to my word I am pre-ordering Fate Grand Carnival as soon as I get paid in a few weeks. It will be glorious.

Yeah this is just a me gushing post but...

I can't believe we are finally getting a follow up to Carnival Phantasm after 10 years, and I can't believe it's getting an english Blu-ray release as well. Yeah I am totally rewatching the original for the build up.

Sorry UFOtable but being second best isn't a bad position.

Prophetic indeed! The opening sequences are pretty funny. I just thought it was the original's physical release but didn't realise there was a second season as well.

So I’ve watched the HF trilogy twice over the past week and after digesting it I think it might be my favourite of the ufotable adaptations. I was initially taken aback at the darker tone it leaned into it with the Sakura route and found it very satisfying. I was confused about emiyou’s fate at the end though and had to look on wiki for more info, it seems someone called touko aozaki had a hand in it but I don’t recall seeing this character at all anywhere.

I also watched fgo first order immediately afterwards but I think the tonal shift was too soon after HF so I’ve downloaded the game and I’m going to play through it before watching the other singularities.

So I’ve watched the HF trilogy twice over the past week and after digesting it I think it might be my favourite of the ufotable adaptations. I was initially taken aback at the darker tone it leaned into it with the Sakura route and found it very satisfying. I was confused about emiyou’s fate at the end though and had to look on wiki for more info, it seems someone called touko aozaki had a hand in it but I don’t recall seeing this character at all anywhere.

I also watched fgo first order immediately afterwards but I think the tonal shift was too soon after HF so I’ve downloaded the game and I’m going to play through it before watching the other singularities.
Touko has a brief cameo appearance in HF at the end but you wouldn't recognise her if you haven't seen Garden of Sinners though.

Walking past Rin and Sakuramhbdg7vd3nq61.jpg

Shirous mind and body was destroying itself since he took off the wrap protecting him from Archers arm. After the fight with Berserker he predicted he could only use projection about 3 times before he would die. And die he did. But Illya using the third magic through the ritual of Heaven's Feel was able to keep Shirous spirit alive.

Rin and Sakura would later seek out Touko who is a master of puppet magic for a new body to put his spirit into and the rest as they say is that. Well there is a lot more to be said about the ending but this was a tldr

Last edited:
I felt the same about Heaven's Feel, it was brilliant and I re-watched the 3 a good few times after heh. Ufotable have worked magic and there are so many scenes I could just sit and rewatch again and again, though my favourite was the brilliant scene of Sakura fantasy-land with the Goldie showdown. I too found FGO very different in tone, though as @Vincentdante mentioned previously, it certainly has dark elements. Perhaps it's because HF almost had an arthouse feel to it a lot of the time, or at least in the scenes where everyone is not beating the living daylights out of each other heh. Good call on the game before the series I think, though the series end, including Temple of Solomon, very much inspired me to get hooked on the game heh.

After literal years of on and off playing I have now achieved all 45 endings in Fate/Stay Night.

Just in time for the tsukihime remake english patch tomorrow and then the adventure begins all over again.

View attachment 25304
Nice one, is this available on steam? I have just had an epiphany and realized that I could use my wife's laptop to play VNs on Steam in comfort, rather than try and fail miserably again and again at my desktop. That would mean I would need to get back into Higurashi first though! I'm refusing to watch the new animes until I've played through the VNs for that and Umineko first.

Nice one, is this available on steam? I have just had an epiphany and realized that I could use my wife's laptop to play VNs on Steam in comfort, rather than try and fail miserably again and again at my desktop. That would mean I would need to get back into Higurashi first though! I'm refusing to watch the new animes until I've played through the VNs for that and Umineko first.
Alas no, I had to import a (now OOP) copy and use a fan translation. Same deal with the Tsukihime remake.

At least Witch on the Holy Night will get an official english release.

On topic of dark twists I do wonder, which is darker between Heaven's Feel, Tsukihime or the Lostbelts. They are all pretty dang dark.

Last edited:
Alas no, I had to import a (now OOP) copy and use a fan translation. Same deal with the Tsukihime remake.
Ah well, it's probably a good thing that I won't be tempted then, though hopefully if the Witch on the Holy Night does well then maybe the others will follow.

On topic of dark twists I do wonder, which is darker between Heaven's Feel, Tsukihime or the Lostbelts. They are all pretty dang dark.
Hiiiinteresting, looking forward to Lostbelts at least heh.

Touko has a brief cameo appearance in HF at the end but you wouldn't recognise her if you haven't seen Garden of Sinners though.

Walking past Rin and SakuraView attachment 25303

Shirous mind and body was destroying itself since he took off the wrap protecting him from Archers arm. After the fight with Berserker he predicted he could only use projection about 3 times before he would die. And die he did. But Illya using the third magic through the ritual of Heaven's Feel was able to keep Shirous spirit alive.

Rin and Sakura would later seek out Touko who is a master of puppet magic for a new body to put his spirit into and the rest as they say is that. Well there is a lot more to be said about the ending but this was a tldr
That’s great thanks a lot, I think garden of sinners will be my next purchase and I’ll watch apocrypha and fate extra on Netflix.

That’s great thanks a lot, I think garden of sinners will be my next purchase and I’ll watch apocrypha and fate extra on Netflix.
Keep an eye out for discounts on the GoS set from either holiday sale periods and also MVM's weekly deals, as that pretty but pricey set can get some good reductions during these. Personally, I really enjoyed Apocrypha on second watch and it has a great if overused score as well; Fate Extra had very interesting concepts and settings, helped along by the Shaft take on it, but wasn't very good overall despite that but still worth a watch if you have time.

Y'all have no idea how much I appreciate a good in built flowchart in visual novels. The Tsukihime remake is amazing just for having one, so many more decisions... sooo many more locked endings...
Any chance you could add a list of the different Western VNs available to your summary at the start of thread if you get a chance please? Thanks!

Any chance you could add a list of the different Western VNs available to your summary at the start of thread if you get a chance please? Thanks!
There is only the two really, FGO and Witch on the Holy Night (I really want to call it Mahoyo). The rest are japanese imports with fan patches unfortunately. I don't think it's in the TOS to let me tell you how to run fan mods but feel free to PM me if you want to go over it privately :)

20220720_145442.jpg
flowchart.jpg

I guess there are the Fate Extra/Extella games if you want to count them, They are more like traditional RPG's instead of visual novels but here is a quick order guide for them.

-Fate/Extra: Came out on PSP and is getting a remake as Fate/Extra record
-Fate/Extra CCC: the one that they don't think can be remade. Came out on PSP. This act's as an alternative route for the original Extra
-Fate/Extra the anime on Netflix: This follows on from one of the bad endings from the game, I haven't seen it myself.
-Fate/Extella: Currently out on modern consoles and on Steam so it's easy to buy. A pseudo sequal to Fate/Extra.
-Fate/Extella Link: Direct sequal to Extella, also out on Steam and modern systems

This is all we have in the west, unless you are comfortable with importing and modding your games (and hardware in the case of the Switch). This is why Mahoyo getting an official english release is such a huge deal for us :)

Last edited:
Back