Far too many sticky topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
Ever since the new admins took over, there has been an absurd increase in sticky topics, especially in the General Anime forum. Most of these are unnecessary and take up too much space. Maybe it would be a good idea to cut down on them?

The "Everyone can post news" and "Forum rules" topics could certainly do to be cleared out of General Anime. I think everyone is aware of these things now, and if they might still be useful to new members they could be moved here into the Forum Rules section.

Err, AFAIK, we only created three sticky topics since Paul left, two on the general anime discussion which are the themed week ones and another on the rules. I can hardly call that an absurd increase on them.

I agree that some of them can become regular topics again, but we have other things to look into first.

i'll take a looksie and see what we can demote

but yeah as Chaos said, there's been hardly any new ones posted, so i think your making a mountain outta a molehill ;)

When it comes to the themed weeks and the discussions for each, the new one is switched with the old, so to not clog up so many stickies. With the news sticky, i could probably get rid of it is chaos says so, i'd consider keeping the rules there, but again i can take that down if necessary as well.

EDIT: Much like Ryo said as well, hah. Erm but yeah, 3 stickies isn't a ton, its hardly any, so i don't see what to complain about in that respect. Its not like we're other forums with maybe half a page to a full page worth of em.

The General Conversation topic should not be stickied. If that dies, all the better - it's not important enough to require being a sticky topic, in any case. Besides, it's popularity is such that it will continue to be on the front page of that forum.

thread has been unsticked on a trial basis, but it's most likely to stay like that as i'm sure it won't be going anywhere near page 2.

While we're at it, I really don't see the need to stick the avatar and background threads either. If people want to use them, they'll find those threads. If they don't (and people don't use those threads a lot, in fairness), then it's not going to be taking up space unnecessarily.

they're fine the way they are atm.

if others want to complain about them then feel free, other than that, i can see any other reason to change them

Can you at least justify why they are there? I suspect you are unable to, and if you cannot justify it, then there's no reason at all to keep them and they should go.

As i said, if you can find other people unhappy with the current sticky situation then feel free to get them to pm mods about this.

But as it stands it just seems to be a storm in a tea cup, so matter is now closed.

Unlocking just to post my views on this. It will be subsequently locked. PM me if you wish to object :)

Stickies are not, in my opinion, reserved purely for topics which are of the most value to a forum. They are for topics which come up time and time again and lead to multiple threads being posted if they aren't prominently there. Ideally people would check before making a new thread - in practice very few people put the time into doing so. Having used many forums where stickies are not implemented I have seen the confusion caused by numerous identical topics over time and appreciate that most of the avatar/desktop stuff, to use the example of General, is confined to one place for quick reference.

If the number of stickies becomes genuinely unmanageable that's a valid complaint - please drop one of the mods or myself a note and we can look into it.

I am going to unsticky the threads in Movies/TV as they aren't particularly more relevant at the moment than any of the other threads, having run their course, and it's not a terrifically busy forum. The rest I don't see much problem with for now. You're welcome to try to convince me otherwise by PM.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back