Fan Dumb

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
After wandering round the London Film and Comic Con as well as reading some of the latest 'Sub vs Dub' Thread and seeing some of the comments there, wondered what the dumbest thing you've heard an anime fan say or debate was. I've heard of some of the shipping wars in shows like Bleach, and the agruments for and against each shippers female (or maie) who should get Ichigo, or some of the fan wanking trying to explain why a gundam would beat Escaflowne in a battle, but the proverbial biscuit has to be taken by an arguement of the merits of Evangelion over Rahxephon. Now Ark and I have had well moderated, intelligent debates about this. We both generally admit that while the other show has merits, we have different tastes and like different shows. However the argument i found in another board went something like this
Never watched Rahxephon, but it sucks. Eva is rock's cause it's got Tiffany Grant in it.
Now the reasons why this fails on so many levels (other than spelling which i have improved on), is that she appears in both.
The other was the lass who asked Spike Spencer at the Con what he had done. When asked if she had seen (or heard of), Eva, Nadesico, Orphen, WOW, said no. She also had no answer the Spike's next question ' Why are you here?'

spike done a very good creepy doctor too in excel, plus since it's the first thing i've ever seen him in, I can't get it out of my head that he's suddenly gonna turn pedo on the audience or something.

Did anybody ask anything plainly sane like what's his main line of work now since ADV needs rescuing

The only recent example I can think of is people commenting that they don't like the new Azumanga art because it looks too much like the art in Yotsuba&!. Yeah, why doesn't Azuma just disregard everything he's learned about drawing these past ten years and try to emulate his earlier, less proficient style? :roll:

Also, in more general terms, people who turn against shows because they're popular without realising that they have far more in common with the bandwagon jumping fanboys/girls they hate so much than either the real fans or the real critics. "OMG X is the best show evar!" "STFU X is so overrated." etc. That gets really old. And never ends.

I have to say though, that Rahxephon quote sounds so provocative I'd suspect it of being the work of Obvious Troll doing his daily rounds...

Well I found this on crunchy

Title of thread
Why do girls in anime have really large boobs?

one of the many answers

Because most Asian girls are lacking in anything even slightly reminiscent of curves. Anime gives those perverts out there false hope that they'll find a stick skinny Asian chick with huge knockers who hasn't had to go through surgery. :]

=/

The one which comes up time and time again is people complaining that a series was licensed, either because it means all of the fansubs will stop (they won't), because it may get dubbed (this doesn't make the original language version magically disappear from the universe) or because it will "become popular" (oh noes).

In actuality a series being licensed affects none of the people who complain for those reasons and it hurts my brain reading their indignant posts each time.

I think the only time a license is disappointing is if it's something awesome and a non-anime company grabs it, chops it up and refuses to make uncut/bilingual discs. But even then, the original version still exists for those who really care! And if it manages to become a hit, chances are proper discs will eventually be made one day for collectors (I'm still waiting for Pokemon, Viz).

R

See i never got that "becomes popular" garbage. What does it matter to people if a show makes it big or not? Isn't it better to have more fans to talk to about it? Do they think that by it being popular its going to change into something horrible in front of their eyes? It just seems nonsense and a weak excuse to give.

unellmay said:
Well I found this on crunchy...
Come to think of it, many of the CR comments I've read would qualify for a mention here quite uncontroversially. A little more punctuation around places like that wouldn't go amiss, I fathom.

I'd like to mention Habbo forums, specially eforum where people just tend to spam topic. I know it's not anime but there's not many other boards then this one i go to

"You're just too stupid to understand".

This is the justification people use to defend a series that tries to be deep but fails and ends up being shallow and not having any real meaning. While there are some people that are a bit shallow or need things at face value, it can boil down to creators making a series unnecessarily complex. NGE has some of the worst fans when it comes to this. Now I'm not saying it isn't deep. I tend to notice that a large group of NGE fans never give a valid reason as to why it's supposed to be deep. Many Elfen Lied fans are also culprits of this pretentiousness.

There's nothing to be gained in forcing ideas and philosophies on those that don't see them or don't care.
unellmay said:
Naruto vs Bleach

It's so stupid....

We all know naruto is way way way better :D
That's like saying human turd is better than dog turd. It's still turd. :)

Maxon said:
"You're just too stupid to understand".

This is the justification people use to defend a series that tries to be deep but fails and ends up being shallow and not having any real meaning. While there are some people that are a bit shallow or need things at face value, it can boil down to creators making a series unnecessarily complex. NGE has some of the worst fans when it comes to this. Now I'm not saying it isn't deep. I tend to notice that a large group of NGE fans never give a valid reason as to why it's supposed to be deep. Many Elfen Lied fans are also culprits of this pretentiousness.

There's nothing to be gained in forcing ideas and philosophies on those that don't see them or don't care.
unellmay said:
Naruto vs Bleach

It's so stupid....

We all know naruto is way way way better :D
That's like saying human turd is better than dog turd. It's still turd. :)

But you agree it's better? :)

I think Rui got in before me with hers so here are a few others.

I don't get the jumping ship just because something becomes popular either. I will give anything a chance popular or not if I at least like the sound of the story premiss, or something about the art style catches my eye. Really look at anime forums even after everyone says that that don't like X popular show how many topics are about popular shows.

Also I don't get all the so and so from some show would beat so and so from another show type arguments.

And don't get me started on those wise arses that can only ever post negative comments about shows, they never say what shows they actually like or participate in the discussion about them. Are they even anime fans.

Dracos said:
And don't get me started on those wise arses that can only ever post negative comments about shows, they never say what shows they actually like or participate in the discussion about them. Are they even anime fans.
This is becoming a problem amongst the anime community. Everywhere I look flame wars are happening just because people can't agree to disagree. People are too eager to trash shows they don't like and not participate in discussion because it's becoming an offense to not like or dislike absolutely anything related to anime. Of course, you also get trolls thinking it's epic lulz to try to piss people off.

Maxon said:
Dracos said:
This is becoming a problem amongst the anime community. Everywhere I look flame wars are happening just because people can't agree to disagree. People are too eager to trash shows they don't like and not participate in discussion because it's becoming an offense to not like or dislike absolutely anything related to anime. Of course, you also get trolls thinking it's epic lulz to try to piss people off.

That should be an offence
one treated with capital punishment :twisted:

ayase said:
The only recent example I can think of is people commenting that they don't like the new Azumanga art because it looks too much like the art in Yotsuba&!. Yeah, why doesn't Azuma just disregard everything he's learned about drawing these past ten years and try to emulate his earlier, less proficient style? :roll:
I personally think from what I've seen of it so far, the new Azumanga artwork is gorgeous. It's such a shame that that version isn't being released in English. ;_;

I agree with the whole "It's mainstream" issue. I've seen so many posts on internet forums like "Death Note used to be so awesome. But then it became mainstream, it sucks now, everyone else likes it, eew"
Popularity is a silly reason to hate something, if you're really that concerned over the popularity it's the fanbase you should be hating, not the anime/manga itself. :roll:

ilmaestro said:
Stupidest argument ever would be people who give Superman a chance in a fight against Goku.
The whole argument is stupid. It creates needless tension between comic-book and anime/manga fans.

Maxon said:
ilmaestro said:
Stupidest argument ever would be people who give Superman a chance in a fight against Goku.
The whole argument is stupid. It creates needless tension between comic-book and anime/manga fans.
33101304_11789882_god_kills_catgirl.gif

Back