Ever thought i wanna read the bible but it looks boring

Well, uh, I have read a fair amount of the Bible, just out of interest.

As a whole it's fairly naff, because it's just what the Romans cobbled together - the bits of Christianity they liked and thought accptable as a replacement religion for theirs, when large parts of the Empire's population started converting.

What they came up with was Judaism (Old Testament) with the philosophy of Jesus (New Testament) added to it. That's why it's so contradictory. Jesus said loads of stuff that went against mainstream Jewish dogma of the time.

Jesus's philosphies (if you take Jesus to be just a man rather than the messiah and treat him like any other philosopher) and some of the stories on their own are sorta interesting though. Especially if you look at the Sumerian and Egyptian roots of some of the old testament stories. If you treat the bible as mythology rather than law it suddenly gets a whole lot better.

The bible would make a great movie though if you cut out the boring "be nice to humanity bull" and get down to this sort of stuff.

I'd like to see the Qur'an in lego. They'd probably run out of red bits though.

Oh god - I went there. (I wonder if I'll get a fatwa on me - I don't want to be beheaded).

Oh god I'm awful.

In all seriousness though, I'd like to actually know what the Qur'an teaches. Muslims get such a bad representation in society, and I'm sure it's not justified.

I bet the vast majority (if not all) extremists/fundamentalists in all relgions haven't actually ever read a word of their 'holy book'.

I thought most of the Qur'an was just the Bible's old testement anyways. Can anybody see Revalations? I'd like to see that in lego!

melonpan said:
In all seriousness though, I'd like to actually know what the Qur'an teaches. Muslims get such a bad representation in society, and I'm sure it's not justified.

I bet the vast majority (if not all) extremists/fundamentalists in all relgions haven't actually ever read a word of their 'holy book'.

I've read the Qu'ran when I was young, but didn't understand it because we were expected to read it in Arabic without knowing what it means.

But I have the English Transalation and it's shows what is wrong with believers as a whole.

1. The Quran state that "Christian is Men without Religion" and "Islam is religion without men". They must be reffering to the Protestant now days... which is wierd since Islam was born way before Protestant was created.

2. This is the only thing I agree with them on. Jesus is "not" the Son of God. He never said he was... It's just a mis-intepreation on the behalf of the Christian. He did say he was the "Son of Man". But everyone who is a believer is really "Children of God". And this isn't the only thing the Quran said, but also the DVD of the story about Jesus handed out by "Christians" themselves

3. A women is only "half a witness". So in court, you need two women to equal one man in witnesses.

4. They state that "Jews worship through Anger" and "Christian is on the wrong path"

5. Oh this one... You hear that "many muslims" in the UK state that this country is the spawn of the devil, etc. Well... The muslim are sinning themselves... The quran clearly states that "If you live in a country with non-believers, enjoy living with them and understand their ideology, then you are a Mushka (non-believer). You should/must EMIGRATE to a Islamic country where the religion is practiced"

So yeah... The quran itself have flaws like the Bible or Torah does. But that's a holy book... It's law is 2000 year old...

Chrono Mizaki said:
melonpan said:

I've read the Qu'ran when I was young, but didn't understand it because we were expected to read it in Arabic without knowing what it means.

But I have the English Transalation and it's shows what is wrong with believers as a whole.

1. The Quran state that "Christian is Men without Religion" and "Islam is religion without men". They must be reffering to the Protestant now days... which is wierd since Islam was born way before Protestant was created.

2. This is the only thing I agree with them on. Jesus is "not" the Son of God. He never said he was... It's just a mis-intepreation on the behalf of the Christian. He did say he was the "Son of Man". But everyone who is a believer is really "Children of God". And this isn't the only thing the Quran said, but also the DVD of the story about Jesus handed out by "Christians" themselves

3. A women is only "half a witness". So in court, you need two women to equal one man in witnesses.

4. They state that "Jews worship through Anger" and "Christian is on the wrong path"

5. Oh this one... You hear that "many muslims" in the UK state that this country is the spawn of the devil, etc. Well... The muslim are sinning themselves... The quran clearly states that "If you live in a country with non-believers, enjoy living with them and understand their ideology, then you are a Mushka (non-believer). You should/must EMIGRATE to a Islamic country where the religion is practiced"

So yeah... The quran itself have flaws like the Bible or Torah does. But that's a holy book... It's law is 2000 year old...

It does appear to have alot more flaws though :lol:

Chrono Mizaki said:
melonpan said:

Ahhh....I wonder if I should put that in my R.E exam next year..... :wink:

lainshadow said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
melonpan said:

Make sure to change the words around, google is a bit of a bastard.

Gacha said:
lainshadow said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
melonpan said:

Make sure to change the words around, google is a bit of a bastard.

LOL

I wouldnt put it in the RE exam, a muslim may find it offensive, therefore its racist.

Whoa,

thats just made my judgement even stronger...when i was in egypt (muslim country) i was amazed over a few things.....1 no women were out during the day.. women were classed completely diffenert to men, they are regarded second class citizens, so thats where the 2 women equal 1 man in court must derive from.

I also understand alot more now why they *in general* find it hard to convert to our way of life and seperate themselves from our ideoligies...because a book said if they do then they'll be classed "non-believers", also compairing england to egypt is eye opening, across there no matter what colour/race/belief you are all men shake hands when they meet as a sign of respect. across here there's no such respect. in ways their way of life is just as developed and at the same time just as primitive as ours.

If we could get the good points from all cultures and religions then the world wouldn't be as messed up, i believe the UK government may of used the UK as a guinea pig to see if multiculturality will sort itself out and well all get on, the truth of the matter is, its seperated us all more than the waters that did before them.

In my eyes....religion is worthless, you can pray to any *god* and believe they talk to you, but in the end no such force takes place. the "holy books" in this world where used by each country a long time ago to brainwash the countries into living a certain way, if you think about it that way it is a strong possibility, the world was corrupt without a law system really, so how do you chastise a country? you scare them into believing a omnipotent, omnipresent force will judge them and punish accordingly. it all makes sense...

the egyptians believed that the sun was a god called Ra, that a jackel was Anubis, that the pharaoh was gods representative on earth....but so did england...the king believed he was gods representative in the medievil times. its all a big misunderstanding and primitiveness. that has stayed alive through a old book.

Back