Eureka Entertainment to release Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis

Yami

Thousand Master
Metropolis%207_zpsizomta1y.jpg

Eureka Entertainment have confirmed on Facebook that they will be releasing Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis "in a Dual Format edition in the not too distant future." It is unconfirmed whether it will be the first anime title to join their Masters of Cinema series.

Fingers crossed that they can also get Tokyo Godfathers and Memories from Sony...

Not actually a huge fan of Metropolis, but this is a neat development all the same. More folks releasing anime can only be good.

BRILLIANT NEWS!

If they can get more from Sony now, including maybe even Cowboy Bebop, that would be amazing!

It's great news! Would be especially cheesed if someone got first look on the film though before us! Current talks suggest better news on that frontier though...

AP

Hopefully it signifies a change in policy from Sony UK. Certainly, this and Anthony Mann's The Man From Laramie are forthcoming from Eureka. It makes no sense to refuse to licence out titles that you're not going to release yourselves, and Sony are pretty poor at releasing their back catalog on Blu-Ray. The arrival of Criterion in the UK might have something to do with it too, as they appear to have a deal with Sony as well.

Hopefully it signifies a change in policy from Sony UK. Certainly, this and Anthony Mann's The Man From Laramie are forthcoming from Eureka. It makes no sense to refuse to licence out titles that you're not going to release yourselves, and Sony are pretty poor at releasing their back catalog on Blu-Ray. The arrival of Criterion in the UK might have something to do with it too, as they appear to have a deal with Sony as well.

I've heard Criterion are being distributed by Sony, so perhaps that's what signalled the change.

There is already a Blu-ray release of Paprika, it's not a fancy release but I don't think there's anything wrong with it (at least, it doesn't seem to be in the defective/disappointing thread). That may make it less likely that we'd see a fancy release as well, especially since the existing release seems to generally be quite cheap.

I wouldn't complain about Blu-ray releases of Tokyo Godfathers and Memories. I should really get around to watching those at some point.

Excelsior!
At last, my favourite anime is due a high-definition release. In accordance with a statement I may or may not have made years ago, this could well be my first purchase in such a format...

I wonder if Eureka Entertainment will go beyond this in terms of anime releases. They have been pretty thorough when it comes to Metropolis so it's surprising sure but perhaps the one Anime that made sense for them. I guess it'll be await and see. I mean if this sells well I don't see why they wouldn't try out some more high profile Anime films.

It remains to be seen whether this particular release will feature
The post-credit photograph depicting Kenichi rebuilding Tima
. Strange though it may seem, the reported absence of this from the English-language release was why I opted to import a subtitle-free release from Japan back in 2008.

That's an excellent point, Zin5ki. A detail like that can SUBSTANTIALLY alter the mood of a film's ending. And fixing it might even lead me to double dip on the film. IF the price is right.

14713034_1354821291195230_6397103331901342155_o.jpg

14681782_1354826117861414_7449755236741421005_n.jpg

OSAMU TEZUKA’S METROPOLIS, the spectacular anime based on the 1949 METROPOLIS manga, itself inspired by the 1927 German silent film of the same name, for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, in a limited edition Dual-Format SteelBook on 16 January 2017, and a Special Dual-Format edition on 13 March 2017.

Based on the classic comic created by revered manga artist and animator Osamu Tezuka (Astroboy), written by anime legend Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) and directed by Rintaro (Galaxy Express 999), METROPOLIS is a spectacular film featuring stunning imagery and unforgettable characters.

In the industrial, tri-level world of Metropolis, Duke Red is a powerful leader with plans to unveil a highly advanced robot named Tima. But Duke Red’s violent son Rock distrusts robots and intends to find and destroy Tima. Lost in the confusing labyrinth beneath Metropolis, Tima is beginning a friendship with the young nephew of a Japanese detective. But when Duke Red separates the two innocents, Tima’s life – and the fate of the universe – is dangerously at stake.

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES:

High-definition presentation | DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray | Optional English Subtitles | The Making of Osamu Tezuka’s Metropolis – a documentary on the film’s production | Interviews with the films creators | Multi-angle animation comparisons | Original Trailer

Eureka Entertainment is proud to present OSAMU TEZUKA’S METROPOLIS for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK in a limited edition Dual-Format SteelBook.

Last edited:
Back