Escaflowne?

Neon-Noir

Dandy Guy, in Space
I finished the T.V. series and the movie (which didn't really connect together too well) a few days ago and was wondering if the manga was any different. If anyone who has read it could tell me about it then that would be nice.

One thing I was hoping for was more depth given to the ending, and does Hitome get to stay with Van at the end of the manga series, instead of just going home? That ending really didn't do anything for me... Or is the manga more like the movie, with those huge differences from the T.V. series, like the entire story and that thing with Hitome being the Wing Goddess or whatever that was? :? Any help would be nice.

And sorry if this has already been covered, I know it's probably an old topic, being such a well-known title an' all, but I was just too lazy to look it up.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
From animenewsnetwork:
There are two different manga versions of Escaflowne. The first is an 8 volume shounen version by Katsu Aki which focuses more on action and fanservice and the second is a two volume shoujo version by Yashiro Yuzuru which focuses more on characters and romance. The English manga from Tokyopop is the shounen version.
I find this a shame because the most enjoyable thing about Escaflowne was that it wasn't pathetically pidgeon holing itself into anime aimed at either guys or girls. It was a great romance story with awesome action elements. A truely best of both series. An 8 volume fanservice-full manga doesn't appeal to me, and a 2 volume (and unavailable) romance focused version is simply too short.

Also worth considering; look at a sample of the Shounen version on the Tokyopop website. I was pretty repulsed. The character artwork looks hideous.

Hmmm... I understand where you're coming from. It seems like a shame really, as the T.V. series really was such a treat... I guess I'll have to give that a miss then.

Thanks for the info kupoartist, much appreciated.

Back