Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm currently in education

• I'm sitting on my hiney :p

• Total voters

Yunagirl

Completely Average High School Student
I'm not trying to provoke anyone here, and I'm not attacking anyone personally.

I'm just curious as to how many of you have jobs, I know the recession (sp?) is a problem, and there's not much you can do if it hits you hard and you loose your job. But there is a big difference between trying really hard- doing everything in your power you can possibly think of to get a job, and sitting on your hiney occasionally clicking 'apply' on a website when the mood takes you.

I've noticed that a few of the people around me have little or no desire to work. They play games/watch anime all day, till the early hours of the morning, sleep then repeat the process often not eating propery and having difficulty sleeping. It really worries me especially when it impacts on their health, but they don't seem to listen no matter how much people are worried about them. Though some may say it's none of anyones business but theirs, and they should just be left to their own devices.

It's something I'm sure most of us have done occasionally or perhaps went through a phase of doing. I didn't know what to do when I left school and spent a while in this kind of phase, but I did progress out of it after a short while. I got a temping job, after that I worked at a crappy but secure job for four years, and I'm now studying for an apprenticeship. Though the people in question don't seem to have ANY intrest in working, education, or being able to support themselves, please note they're all over eighteen and some have spent a year or more in this situation.

Personally I think it's unfair to expect others to pay for you all the time, and unfair on your parents to expect them to keep paying for all your living costs. Although I don't pay rent as I don't earn much money atall (apprenticeships only disadvantage is the minimum wage rule does not apply), after my pay goes above a certian amount I WILL be paying rent, and I will be happy to do so. I have paid for everything except my food and drink* since I was sixteen however, and it takes a lot of the strain off parents and teaches you a wee bit about the cost of living.

I would love to hear what you guys think, and all about your experiences and reasons!

Penny for your thoughts?

*toiletries, bedding, clothes, travel costs, medical costs, pet costs, leisure activities, going out, ect.

Yunagirl said:
I've noticed that a few of the people around me have little or no desire to work. They play games/watch anime all day, till the early hours of the morning, sleep then repeat the process often not eating propery and having difficulty sleeping. It really worries me especially when it impacts on their health, but they don't seem to listen no matter how much people are worried about them. Though some may say it's none of anyones business but theirs, and they should just be left to their own devices.

This is what happened to me when I lost my job a year ago. It was hell but I had become a recluse so it was all I could do. Luckily I got a job shortly after and that got me back on track. Now I am an apprentice electrician and hopefully have a job for life :D

I hated being on the dole, but I did try my upmost to get a job filing for many jobs a week. But the reason for me losing my last job and me being really shy prevented me getting a job. It was also tough on my mum because I was unable to pay rent., though when I did get a job I did pay the back log.

Yuna which apprenticeship are you doing?

I am doing a business apprenticeship GNVQ level 2 :3 I love the combination of experience study and work and a little wage too~ it sort of sets you up pretty well I think! Though my studing doesn't start till january :S nevermind though~ freedom till after xmas : D though I hear it's mainly reporting on what you do in your placement anyways which is cool :)

Apprenticeships are a fantastic way into employment, okay pay starts of a bit sucky but at the end it's worth all the time and effort put in. I do like the work side of things as it breaks up the college which can be boring.

After attempting further education no fewer than three times, a couple of crappy short-term jobs interspersed by fairly long periods of unemployment and then helping my dad to set up and run his retail business, I am now self employed with a retail business of my own. It's sodding hard work (and people not spending doesn't help - it doesn't help the economy as a whole either, go out and spend!) but hopefully it will pay off at the end of the day.

I don't blame the people who have no desire to work though, I don't really have any desire to work. Most people's idea of heaven on earth is winning the lottery and not having to work ever again. The problem is it's so easy to defraud the benefits system into giving people money they aren't really entitled to, not to mention the fact that it's badly thought out anyway. The biggest motivator into work is that if you work you'll be better off, but this currently isn't the case. Anyone with children or disabilities is better off on the dole than they are doing a 16 hours a week part time job for minimum wage, and that says there's something very wrong with the system.

I'm currently in education but thinking of dropping out. People in college are bastards at the best of times. I've really lost a lot of enthusiasm to do stuff at times- but at other times I feel like I want to do things. I wish I could make my mind up.

Augh... I dont understand why so many people keep asking me to spend time out at pubs/clubs and waste money on drinks when I've got jobs just to keep me "above sea-level." And it's X-mas, so people want gifts, celebrate royally and spoil themselves, but I dont think I'll be doing much of that myself.

I work in 2 retail jobs, one of which is temp until 2nd Jan - furture extention possible, and this is going towards spending it on food/drink, bills and gifts. I'm (physically+mentally) feeling more and more tierd with the longer hours and the 6/7 days of getting up and running after other people.

When I search for jobs, I'd accept anything if it's full time. My current employees couldn't give a crap about giving me that. In all honesty, I want to finally get off this bottom rung, or be in a job where I'm not always looking up to someone.
And yes, I'm still living with my bro and father, who I get on well with.

I think I'll stop here, as this is a far too serious and depressing topic for me, especially after a long/naff shift today.

Spyro201 said:
I'm currently in education but thinking of dropping out. People in college are bastards at the best of times. I've really lost a lot of enthusiasm to do stuff at times- but at other times I feel like I want to do things. I wish I could make my mind up.
That sounds familiar... ;)

Spyro, I'd stick at it if I were you. Knowing that you want to be involved in the legal system, you are going to need eduction for that. Really I was damn lucky to get to where I am today with no further education - If my dad hadn't decided to start a new business which I helped him with (and was able to learn a lot in the process of doing so) I would probably be either stuck in a monotonous job or on the dole.

ayase said:
Spyro201 said:
That sounds familiar... ;)

Spyro, I'd stick at it if I were you. Knowing that you want to be involved in the legal system, you are going to need eduction for that. Really I was damn lucky to get to where I am today with no further education - If my dad hadn't decided to start a new business which I helped him with (and was able to learn a lot in the process of doing so) I would probably be either stuck in a monotonous job or on the dole.

Sounds familiar as in, i've said it a few times before? lol.

Well I have to stick at it- it's just Maths Mechanics is seriously hard, and i'm worrying about whether I can pass the exam or not. I've got so so many notes...

I'm currently at university without a job, which is rather annoying because i need to find one so that i can get a bit of money over the summer, or from now until next year, but its annoying how little there is at the moment. So currently i'm either at the flat or at uni studying, since i don't really have any other options until i can find one.

TBH you'll be really lucky in you can get a job right now. When I was at uni I never got a job, I tried a lot and that was when the recession was just starting to develope. If you get one you're very lucky, especially one that will fit around your studies.

Jonboy87 said:
TBH you'll be really lucky in you can get a job right now. When I was at uni I never got a job, I tried a lot and that was when the recession was just starting to develope. If you get one you're very lucky, especially one that will fit around your studies.

Finding one to fit maths is one thing, finding one that will fit maths and my interests is another, since they are not one in the same, hah. Asides from that, i still have this year(3rd) and 4th year to go before i really have to make any choice. the project module we have this semester is pushing us to take internships to improve our chance of getting into a job at the end of the course, but even then, thats not easy in itself

I'm in Arbalest's position at present, though I study a combination of two subjects: one of which traditionally leads to good employment, and one which doesn't (but is more interesting).

I like to think that I'm presentable and have sufficient communication skills, but I fear my degree classification might be an issue when I finally try to become employed. In tough times, it would be tempting for an employer to focus only on those with the highest graded single-honours science degrees.

To move back up North would be disheartening to say the least, and any postgraduate options would require me to find an elusive funding source. Not to mention the fact I'd have to hope for enough luck to overcome the odds and get a 2:1, or the fact that the subject I'd have the greatest desire to continue is the 'unemployable' one.

:( I'm the only one sitting on my hiney according to the vote.

I very recently finished my masters and graduate in two weeks. So right now I'm not in education and not in work, and trying to decide whether to work or do a PhD but it will probably be work.

I did a well paid year placement during my masters and saved from that so I'm ok for a while without a job if I keep costs low.

I'm working.
I know how you feel about further education and if you should continue with it or not. I myself have applied and got onto College courses simply to bail out of them. with reasons though.

I finished at my highschool and was told about a job in I.T for the NHS, working on a helpdesk for a few months until i start at luton 6th form (best college in the county) I took a 2 weeks rest inbetween finishing highschool and starting working. it was a 37.5 hour a week job, 9-5 mon - fri. At first it was fun, So when i was due to start college i decided to stay on at the I.T Department (promises of a perm job with a payrise) Then a month later Alpesh turned up. a weedy little person who really didn't like me at all, for no apparent reason. He farced a load of things and when i'd complete a job he'd go back into the log screen and change the name so that it made him look as if he was doing everything, and i was doing nothing. his last step was to call a load of managers and spread a rumour about the whole I.T dept going off to a christmas meal and leaving 3 band 2's (lowest banding in the organisation) to pick up and run the whole I.T department, telling them his name was my name....So i got pulled up for it and fired.

I was stuck, No job. couldn't go to College because the courses had started already and it was months into the course too.
So had a word with my mum.... A manager of a service within the NHS. She got me a Low banding job. From which i've had training on how to do this that and the other, Worked my way up to a state where i'm not a low banding person just helping out...but someone who's overseeing a county and part of another county, much better pay and higher banding with the view to get higher next year. I have applied and got myself onto A Diploma 2nd line technicians course on evenings....to which halfway through the course i gave up interest....the level at which everyone else was performing was just holding me back, so i stopped going....and still walked out with a high grade from it. The college cancelled my CompTia A+ technicians course due to lack of numbers. So i had to skip my plan (which was to do the A+ then the Cisco networking course) and applied and started the Cisco pathway course a couple of months ago....instantly realised that i didn't know what was being said in some cases and figured that as i hadn't done the A+ i didn't have enough background knowledge to do the course....many of the people on the course where retaking the course because they'd failed previous attempts and also you have to retake it every 3 years anyway. So that was enough initiative to just walk away from it. I am watching the spring term courses. hoping to get myself onto the A+. hoping that they don't cancel it again....I don't mind my work at the moment, there's good and bad days, quick and then days that drag...regardless of things, my hearts not in it. I'm looking out for any jobs which require a diploma certified techy, When i find one...i'll be a much happier person....though....i know 2 things. If i move into an I.T Dept....i'd hardly ever come on here, i wouldn't have time....I'd be too busy......and secondly....Its dangerous to consider getting another job at the moment anyway.

Been working 2 and a half years now. and i've learnt a few things...Living isn't cheap, not by a long shot! I pay a weekly board of £35. get my food free. but clothes, drink, any other or specific food i want, going out with the gf or with the lads, taxi's driving lessons and anything else i may want, like dvds, games or tech. I hate the letters the bank send me after however many months....the one that says how much has gone into my account and how many thousands have been coming out ¬___¬

Still, next year me and my mate are on about renting a house. So that will be a huge learning curve. Standing pretty much alone. No safetynet parents to fall back on for a cushy life.

^ (o_O)
Like I always say, save a copy of everything - email, document or otherwise. Some people are simply unbelievable.

Good luck on the no-safety net thing. It's a real life-changer.

Back