Eden of the east: Snog, Marry, Avoid?

Snog. If we're only judging through GitS glasses, only a few aspects of the show will be enjoyable to you. It's characters are much more vulnerable and coming-of-age than the fully ones characters of GitS, so that differs, so does the tech but I think generally, the world should appeal to you for the 11 episodes it runs for. It's much less hypothetical (showing, not telling) as a whole really.

I like the series. I think its a bit confused about what it wanted to be and somewhat changes the game with each episode. Due to this, however, there's certainly going to be a part that appeals to you. Maybe even the constant game-changing, cos that's sort've GitS-ian. So, a fling yes; marriage no.

GitS and Eden of the East have very little in common. The only major element shared between the 2 series (I assume you mean GitS:SAC) is the mystery elements during the Laughing Man case, and that is largely left to one side during 1st Gig.

The product description on amazon should be enough to see whether you'd be interested (minor spoilers for eps 1 & 2) :

"On November 22nd, 2010, ten missiles strike Japan. Known as Careless Monday, this attack does not result in any apparent victims, and is soon forgotten by almost everyone. Then, three months later... Saki Morimi, a young woman currently Washington D.C. on her graduation trip, is saved by a mysterious man, who has lost his memory, and has nothing except for a gun and a phone with 8.2 BILLION yen in digital cash."

If the description makes it sound interesting you'll probably at least enjoy it. Just be warned that the series only wraps up some of the plot threads, you'll need to watch the 2 films to finish the story.

Jiindama said:
Just be warned that the series only wraps up some of the plot threads, you'll need to watch the 2 films to finish the story.

Well I wish I'd known THAT before I bought the box set. :x

Anyone know anything of licenses or whatnot?

The films are already licensed by Funimation (the first will be out in the next few months) so I can't imagine it will take Manga long to bring them here as well, unless sales of the TV version completely grind to a halt or something.

R

Jayme said:
I haven't seen the films, nor felt the urge to, really. The series wraps up better than most.
I agree with the second bit, and can see why you say the first, but after I'd watched the series I was desperate to see the continuation, personally. Also, you really should watch the movies if you enjoyed the series.

ilmaestro said:
Also, you really should watch the movies if you enjoyed the series.
Yeah, I should. I always like to watch anime films in good quality, so I was trying to wait for the DVD/BDs actually. Might download though. Hmm.

Ah, right, an idea I also support with movies and OVAs etc (buying them, rather than downloading them). I just meant "don't 'never' watch the movies", I took it from the tone of your comment that you weren't even looking on them when they come out here/USA.

Personally I love both, though I wouldn't say that they have much in common.
I slightly prefer EoE, but I do <3 my GitS:SAC and have both on DVD....

VivisQueen said:

You might wait 'till you're asked! Tut tut!

Thanks for the info on licenses, Rui. I'll be marking those up on my 'stuff to buy in 2011' list.

Just started the series tonight. I'm not really far enough into it to be getting the best from it, I feel, but it certainly looks like a keeper from the outset.

VivisQueen said:
In typical fashion of shows created after 2005, it is fantastic at first and then **** up later.
Would you mind clarifying that slightly? (re: all the other shows, not Eden of the East)

I find that to be more of a generally recognized problem in a lot of fiction, across a range of media, over a much longer period, so I'm wondering why you pick out the last five years of anime in particular.

If it was just intended as a glib generalization to make your assessment sound a bit slicker, then ignore me of course. :p

Hmm looks of interest. I stated GITS as i'm not a huge fan of Shonen type stuff, except maybe Fullmetal Panic, and prefer something with a bit more depth.

Hmm now blu ray or DVD... hmmm.

Back