Ebay Purchase Gone Wrong

cyborg 002

School Idol
I don't use ebay that often. When I do I have had many good experiences. I only use it as a buyer. I have 75 positive feedback and no negatives.

I was after Fencer Of Minerva vol 2. I managed to get a "Brand new" DVD from a seller but when I recieved the DVD, there was a huge knife cut down the spine.

So I ofcourse contacted the seller.

"Hi.
I recieved the DVD today.
I have included a picture of the envelope the DVD was shipped in. I opened the envelope properly and there is no damage to the envelope.
The DVD was described as Brand new.
Could you please tell me why you did not mention the cut down the spine?"

Seller's response.
"Hi, the DVD was no damege when I send it to ebay`s international shipping center.
The damage was caused by ebay international shipping center.
eBay should have send the dvd in the box, not a soft envelope.
Even the envelope has no damege. Inside of the envelope is a plastic case that is easy to be broken by heavy weight during over sea shipping.
Thank you"

I have sent yet another message asking him to take resposibility, since he is the seller.

I paid over 50$ including postage and imoort duties.

upload img

Since I have never had an encounter with a seller with such a poor excuse before,, I don't know how to handle it. what should I do in this case?

I suppose you can always escalate, EBay does usually favor the buyer - so you could likely get a refund or at least some of the money back. It's more of a moral question I suppose - how comfortable are you to push it all the way. I think you definitely deserve at least some of the money back though.

Open a claim.
Your contract is with the seller, it's up to him to sort out with eBay if he has a problem with how they've shipped something.

You are not responsible for anything, except to receive the item as described that you purchased.

If you paid via PayPal and you don't want to mess around you can do a direct debit indemnity with your bank. If the sellers not in the UK then they will have a hard time doing anything about it & in my experience PayPal don't care as they get the money back from the seller anyway.

Yeah escalate it with eBay. If he's blaming them in such a shaky way they'll be able to arbitrate directly. Also I've had thousands of single DVD cases delivered in envelopes and even when they get squashed you never see anything damaged quite like that.

R

black1blade said:
Is it a normal amaray case? If so then surely you can just swap cases.

Do youy realy think I would do all this because of an amoray case?

It's more than that. The cut is all the way through to the artwork on the spine.

I bought from this seller because he advertised it was a brand new DVD.

He eluded to mention the cut, therefor I should not have bought it at full price and all I want is a discount.

I contacted the seller again.

"The cut is a clear cut! In other words a knife cut! Please don't come up with poor excuses like it happened in transit.
You sent it, you are the seller, the responsibility is yours.
I still hope we can come to an amicable solution.
What will you do to rectify the situation?."

Seller's response.
"Hi,
The dvd was no damege when I shipped. NO DAMAGE at my place.
Ebay shipping center repacking the dvd at its place.
I assume that ebay shipping center did it. Maybe custm. Anyway not me.
Is ebay shipping center use insured shipping method?
thank you"

Thanks for all the posts guys.

I will post here when there is update.

Sounds like the seller and the eBay shipping service he uses can argue about the details until the cows come home, but it's not your problem. I can't imagine they won't rule in your favour.

R

As Rui said, the seller and eBay can blame each other as much as they like. You received an item that was not in the condition it was described as, so you should be able to get your money back pretty easily.

Vaguely related, but I once ordered a manga volume from an Amazon marketplace seller (one of the big ones like WorldofBooks or something) which was described as "used very good." When it arrived, it was an ex library book, so covered in stickers and had several bent pages. A quick grumpy email and they refunded me almost straight away and said I could keep the book. They didn't even ask for proof. I suspect though, big companies would rather keep people happy so they don't slag them off to their friends. Individuals probably don't care as much.

The big companies are usually very good at refunds - they deal with so many orders they just do it as a matter of course/courtesy without even checking.

I've bought the odd bootleg off eBay by mistake. Though normally the buyer was pretty cool with me returning it for a refund.

As others have said, eBay heavily favors the buyer, so if you're not happy with his conduct, open a case and get eBay involved. If it's a legitimate problem, which in your case it is, eBay will refund you, and hash out the details with the seller.

Update.

I opened a dispute.

I asked for a 14$ discount.

Seller declined.

Seller wrote this message.

"I am very worried about this situation. I am very sad.
I send a BRAND NEW DVD that has NO DAMAGE to ebay global shipping center.
The transaction was an International sale thru Global Shipping Program.
Please let me know what kind of shipping method was used by ebay Global Shipping center, and what is the color of the envelope.
Thank you"

My reply.
"It was shipped in a white envelope by a company named GLS.
I bought a DVD that you sell as Brad New, it arrived with the artwork cut up. I am not a satisfied customer.
I understand your situation, ultimately you are the seller, the responsibility is yours.
What are you going to do about this situation?"

What an asshole. As a collector i wouldn't have even gone for the discount but if you were willing to go for it he should have just took the plunge.

In the end he probably is going to lose money because of his deceit though. It's sad to think that these kind of people probably often get away with this **** because there's people that don't bother arguing about flaws like that (some people are just fine with getting the dvd's)

Winkuru said:
What an asshole. As a collector i wouldn't have even gone for the discount but if you were willing to go for it he should have just took the plunge.

In the end he probably is going to lose money because of his deceit though. It's sad to think that these kind of people probably often get away with this **** because there's people that don't bother arguing about flaws like that (some people are just fine with getting the dvd's)

Well he might of been screwed over by the shipping company Ebay have started to make people use when sending overseas. Still that's his problem, he needs to refund fully or partially to the buyer and take the shipping damage up with Ebay/the shipping partner.

A bit late on the reply but it's worth pointing out that I've seen quite a few different sellers and buyers who have had exactly the same problem as the OP. Apparently ebay's global shipping program does repackage items, and have been known to damage them. It's one of the reasons I avoid any sellers that use that scheme although ebay are supposed to refund on items damaged by their shipping.

Back