Ebay counterfeits...

Hokum

Straw Hat Pirate
Who here has ordered stuff on ebay then received a knock off?

Just wondering, i ordered hellsing a few years back and got a counterfeit version, and i must admit i prefer it to the proper releases!

The packaging is much better and the who series was on only three disks!

What is everyone elses experiences with it?

Hokum said:
i ordered hellsing a few years back and got a counterfeit version, and i must admit i prefer it to the proper releases!

The packaging is much better and the who series was on only three disks!
... meaning the video is more compressed and picture quality will suffer as a result. Disc count is the main way to tell bootlegs from the real thing. On the packaging point though, from pictures I've seen a lot do seem to come in nice digipacks - it is a little disheartening when counterfeit merchandise is better packaged than official releases.

I've never bought a bootleg anime DVD, but I ended up with two bootleg soundtracks thanks to not knowing that 'Miya Records' were in fact Taiwanese counterfeiters who get around copyright law due to Taiwan's dubious legal status. At least they were cheap, but I'd rather download than buy bootlegs. No money is going to the creators, but at least none is going to criminals either.

I have both the R2 release in singles(!) and the R0 version, and tbh i couldnt tell the difference in quality even on my 32" HDTV.

Hokum said:
I have both the R2 release in singles(!) and the R0 version, and tbh i couldnt tell the difference in quality even on my 32" HDTV.
Tbh, I have the same thing with my bootleg Ikki Tousen/.Hack//Sign disks. As long as I get the basic image, it doesn't bother me, and I've played it on big screens.

Not that I condone it, but when life gives you lemons, sqeeze it in their eyes!! :p

I bought Pokémon Ruby on the GBA & got a pirate version. Paypal made them give me a refund, & then I sold the knock off copy to a shop in town. :D

I bought afew 3 dvd box sets for $10 each and sold them to cash converters for like 25quid each.

i kept this version of cowboy bebop because of its great design.

cowboybebop-cover.jpg

Though ive since purchased the real thing. I've considered buying pirated copies over the real thing... specifically cardcaptor sakura. Which i havent but i will at some point.

before I bought the Platinum Tin I had a bootleg of Evangelion. It had the whole series, Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion over 4 discs. All the imagery on the packaging was taken from the covers of the manga version. For a bootleg is was surprisingly professional looking.

Project-2501 said:
The industry is less worse off with people leeching rather than buying bootlegs. Someone profits (quite a lot) from bootlegging, its why they do it.
^ I agree with this. However, this:

skikes said:
I bought afew 3 dvd box sets for $10 each and sold them to cash converters for like 25quid each.
Is a truly brilliant idea. How recently was that - are Cash Converters really that gullible?

Oh man, back when I was just discovering anime, and having no idea where to find UK releases, I bought a load of boxsets on Ebay without realizing they were fake! D:
Most of those I got I've started getting the official DVDs though. Much better quality.

And what's this about Cash Converters? I can make an extra bob? :D

ayase said:
Is a truly brilliant idea. How recently was that - are Cash Converters really that gullible?

Oh god yes. But not as daft as some of their 'customers'. I've picked up some cracking bargins from them due to neither side knowing what something is worth.

However its still no worth lining the pockets of some dirty bootleggers.

ayase said:
skikes said:

eh... it was about 4 years ago. I trying to pick some old dvds up in there one day when i seen someone had traded in pirated anime dvds and they were quite expensive... so i was like ****! how much are these guys giving for these dvds and... PROFIT!

Project-2501 said:
ayase said:

Oh god yes. But not as daft as some of their 'customers'. I've picked up some cracking bargins from them due to neither side knowing what something is worth.

However its still no worth lining the pockets of some dirty bootleggers.
It is if it lines my pockets with twice as much. :twisted:

Should go down to Cash Converters more often. I did contemplate buying out their entire stock of HD-DVDs and a player when the red side lost the format war.

I bought a DBZ (really bad) bootleg as much first ever anime puchase (and first ever series to watch all the way though), t'was just on CDs in plastic wallets. The only other one I can think of was FMP: Fumoffu, which was actually a rather good set, although I bought the official one afterwards.

I have been considering getting the Digimon Season sets that are on there at the moment, due to obvious reasons. They are apparently very high quality, although are a bit pricey for bootlegs...

Hokum said:
These seem pretty cheap on ebay, and being from Hong Kong, suspicious, but would someone knock off Revoltech models?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Revoltech-38-038- ... 286.c0.m14
Once you've added the postage on, then $16.88 = £10.54. Normal small Revoltech models are between £10-£15, so that's towards the cheap end but not suspicious. A lot of people make their items show up as being cheaper by taking cost off the item and adding it onto the postage.

I used to buy from ebay but didnt know they were bootlegs at at the time because the packaging did look well done and was sealed and everything. I stopped when I relised and since only brought from ebay when I'm sure but almost always buy from online shops instead.

I replaced all the ones I brought that I really liked with official copies. I found that on really large TVs the boot leg copies are pixilated because they apply higher compression to fit more episodes on few disks so give a lower quality.

Back