Easy to Marathon Anime?

Aion

Time-Traveller
Watching Phantom made me think about the titles I've found easy to blaze through over a day or two. In most cases, I struggle to watch more than five or so episodes in one sitting, but certain series are able to hit the imaginary switch in my brain that enables me to keep going as long as time/my eyes allow.

Basilisk is a decent example. Because its story takes place over the course of a few days and death is always around the corner, it's hard to stop watching. There's a non-stop flow from episode to episode as the numbers of ninja on both sides decrease and the story edges towards its conclusion. Most anime have events play out over a lengthy period of time, so having so much occur over the space of a few days made it different.

Kaiji's another good example. Its story focuses on a series of 'games' where the contestants lives are on the line. Outside of the first game - which plays out over four hours (in-anime) and takes around eight episodes - the remaining games all occur during one rather hectic night. Every episode ending on a cliffhanger as the psychological duels continued to twist prevented me from stopping with ease.

And, as I mentioned at the start, Phantom also made me enter 'marathon mode' yesterday. It's actually slow-paced and its story plays out over many years, but crime drama where there's no true 'good' and lots of death is gripping when done right, and Phantom was executed superbly. Each of the three arcs slowly build towards their respective conclusions, making sure the viewer is emotionally connected, and my desire to see the climaxes of each of the arcs made boredom an impossibility. Linking it into Basilisk, no-one being safe from death kept me on my toes throughout.

Other titles I marathoned include Berserk & Gungrave (both similar shows I watched in one-sitting) and Maison Ikkoku (2x 30 episode marathons.) Looking back further, Naruto is probably another I watched a lot of all at once, back in the goold ol' days of Narutardism. Getting into it when 60-70ish episodes were out made it kinda hard not to!

I marathoned Death Note, though the Yotsuba arc kills a lot of the initially marathon buzz. Full Metal Panic Fumoffu I marathoned because it was easy lighthearted watching and though it's not anime I marathoned Red vs Blue, but then each ep is only a matter of minutes and each season is about an hour so..

Marathoning ef, whichever one is a good idea, i recommend watching memories first otherwise you'll be confused assuming you haven't seen it. Give's a great effect

Shows I marathoned because they were just THAT addictive:

Hajime no Ippo
LOTGH
Monster
Major 1
Nana
Rose of Versailles
Berserk
Death Note
Gundam SEED

Others I loved I didn't marathon because I followed them as they aired e.g. Kaiji.

hmm...i've marathoned quite a few in my time...lets see...

Bleach when it originally aired up to 164
Evangelion
Skip Beat
Nana
Clannad & Afterstory
Kanon 2006
Gundam Seed
Gundam 00

There were others aswell which i cant remember from the top of my head, but usually when the story line is addictive then i'll end up watching the whole show in one sitting

I remember marathoning Lain. I had to pick my brain up in pieces afterwards, though.

To me, marathoning is watching a show the whole way through largely without stopping, but I guess if people are mentioning long shows they just mean they marathoned bits of them. In that case I think Naruto once it gets up to the chuunin shiken is pretty good if you like shounen fighting, and good, long sports shows tend to lend themselves quite well to marathoning.

Don't think I've honestly marathoned anything. I remember that I watched Macross Frontier 'quickly', but that's probably... within a week? Not too impressive, thankfully.

Jayme said:
What's your stance on One Piece, Aion?

Roughly, the same as my stance on normal life and humans.

Vivian/bitch-person: I didn't list Death Note for the same reason you didn't list Kaiji. Getting excited/acting like a little girl over DN weekly was good. (Code Geass wasn't mentioned for the same reason, too... though I did watch around half of that before catching up.)

CloudedMinds said:
Just so you know regarding Bleach, it was all i was watching whenever i wasnt at work or not having breakfast/lunch/dinner :p
Not calling in sick to work and not eating in front of the TV = fail. :p

CCS, it makes you halucinate it raining cherry blossoms (for a few days). Was very surprised when it came up in conversation and the same halucination happened to someone else that had also done it.
Clannad/afterstory was okay. ef~ a tale of memories/melodies didn't think too well of in one go.
Geass R2, beholdeth oh mighty trainwreck.
Nearly all 13 ep series, they're so short anyway.

Naruto - whenever i get the latest shippuden boxset i try to dedicate a day to going through it undisturbed.

Jyu ho sei - 12 something episodes, fairly interesting, easy to sit through in one day.

Black blood brothers - pretty much the same as above, easy to watch, fairly interesting, short. (only annoyed that its left on a cliff hangar....i suspect it was originally intended to be a proper series but cut short due to funds, or no fanbase)

Afro samurai - although i enjoyed it, its only a couple of episodes really, so to give it justice, get the "boxset" and go through that in a day or so.

Bakuretsu tenchi - fanservice...piped into your brain....should take a day to do, not a bad anime really.. just needs more purpose.

Coyote Ragtime show - i actually really enjoyed this, action, humour, adventure and reminds me of oceans eleven, only 3 discs, but i can't fault it at all.

Kino's Journey, easy to marathon really, good for if you want a psychological trip down "thought provoking" street.

Hundred stories - complete mind ****, i dropped it, to weird and dark. but only 13 eps. shouldn't take long to marathon

She, The ultimate weapon/ Saikano, hah.... anyone who's seen this will know that i've only added its name for sheer numbers...its not the greatest anime.

Elfen lied, quick, simple, violent, what more do you want?

Spent weekends marathoning: Deathnote, Devilmaycry, cowboy bebop, GITS 2nd GIG,

Shows with a serial plot are the easiest for me to "marathon". It seems soapy drama is a particular weak spot of mine; Rumbling Hearts, School Days, True Tears, and the first season of White Album were each devoured in a couple of sittings.

Other shows I got through relatively fast are Basilisk, Gungrave, Now and Then Here and There, Baccano, and Gun X Sword. In each of those I was hugely invested in the story and characters, and all have a shitload of cliffhangers that keep one's dead eyes fixed on the screen.

As most shows come out in half season or full season box sets I marathon most things. In the days of single discs I would blast each disc and then have to wait for the next. The only things I don't really marathon are streaming shows unless I am catching up on ones that I did not see as they aired.

Of course some shows are easier to marathon than others, there has to be something about the show to hold your interest.

Back