E3 2012

Arbalest

黒い剣士
So E3 starts again in less than 24 hours, so to help keep everything in one place, here's the yearly E3 topic. The order of the conferences is as follows(times shown are for here in the UK):

Monday 4th June:

Microsoft - 5:30pm
EA - 9pm
Ubisoft - 11pm
Sony - 2am

Tuesday 5th June:

Nintendo - 5pm

So what do we expect from each one? We just had Nintendos pre-E3 conference which you can find here which has a link to a nice write-up of the event by Joshawott. Through that conference, we can now say that the conference for Ninty will focus primarily on games. I'm expecting a release date and price tag to be announced as well, but i hope to see that third party support greater than last years(since last year had a pretty huge amount of support).

For Microsoft, i hear rumours of a tablet being announced, but bar that, i expect it'll be Kinect, Kinect, Kinect, Halo/Gears of War/Tomb Raider/CoD and Kinect. They honestly don't have much they can fire at us that i think will surprise me anymore. Unless they announce the removal of their subscriptions, which would be awesome(yet unrealistic).

As for Sony, i honestly have no real idea what to expect from them. I think we'll get a showing from Kevin Butler and he'll be the one to show off Sony All-Stars Battle Royale, specially considering he is in the game in some form. Vita might be their main focus, and hopefully it is, since they need to really push it more. Announcing a price drop for the Vita would be the best step for them at the moment, and one i'd hope they would do here.

Nintendo have outright said that release dates and prices for the Wii U won't be announced at E3. As well as having their main keynote at 5pm, they also have a Software showcase which will be at around 2am on Wednesday (our time).

Here's an interesting list of confirmed and highly speculated Wii U games.

tbh, I think more games are way more important than a price drop for the Vita. People need a reason to spend "some money" before they start worrying about "how much".

Lots of ace Vita games is the only thing I am interested in, the level of hype coming into this show for me is zero, new consoles are badly needed all around.

I'm interested in Metal Gear Rising (still unconvinced by its redesign at the moment, but the latest trailer is promising), Tomb Raider and... that's more or less it. Maybe some surprise games. Not really fussed about Star Wars 1313, but I'm willing to hear more.

ilmaestro said:
tbh, I think more games are way more important than a price drop for the Vita. People need a reason to spend "some money" before they start worrying about "how much".

Lots of ace Vita games is the only thing I am interested in, the level of hype coming into this show for me is zero, new consoles are badly needed all around.
Definitely. When I was in Gamestation buying my pre-owned PSP, the guy at the counter agreed with me that £230 is a lot of money to put down on a console. However, when the 3DS came out, I had no issue with paying that same sum of money (admittedly, I later got that all back when I found out I won the thing, but still). The reason was because, despite the 3DS' launch line-up being lacklustre, I knew there were better things coming out for it in the later months, so it was an investment.

Even if the PlayStation Vita's price is cut down to £130 (like the 3DS was), if there's no games to interest me, I still won't buy it. As it stands, there isn't a title that makes me want to rush to the game store and buy a PS Vita yet - which is something it needs (come on, even the PSP is beating it in the sales charts in Japan!).

I'll be watching the Microsoft conference as always each year. I have Kinect admittedly but I only have a handful of games for it being: Just Dance 3, Dance Evolution and Child of Eden. It would be nice if they made some 'proper' games for it too.

On another note, I saw the trailer for Tomb Raider - it looks great!

Oh my. The Microsoft E3 conference was extremely disappointing.

It showed barely any games and the games they did show are basically the same old FPS rubbish.

Tomb Raider and RE6 were the only good points of a lacklustre presentation.

Usher and Dance Central 3 marked the end of gaming itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Microsoft have just commited suicide.

Start off with... HALO 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Fills next hour and a half with Kinect and social platform malarkey*

'And we end with...'

NEWS ON 720! :eek:

Black Ops 2.

Beckham.jpg

South Park: The Stick of Truth was the best thing about the Microsoft E3, cool thing that it's Multi-platform :) (Trey Parker and Matt Stone are legends!)

Forza Horizon did look kind of cool too...Also Lara Croft ;)

Max Takeshi said:
I'll call it now:

Watch Dogs is Game of the Show.
I felt that the footage went on for way too long, but otherwise I agree.

I just hope it comes to Wii U, because I don't own a PlayStation 3 (also, it looks like it could work well on the GamePad).

Joshawott said:
Max Takeshi said:
I'll call it now:

I just hope it comes to Wii U, because I don't own a PlayStation 3 (also, it looks like it could work well on the GamePad).

By What I'm Hearing it will be Out on PS3/360/Wii U/PC

Microsoft's presentation was just boring for me, at least last year's was bad enough to be funny, though the random Usher performance was hilarious. Trey Parker and Matt Stone saved it with South Park though.

EA...sequels, DLC, "adding value" (i.e. charging extra), brown shooters, at least Need for Speed: Most Wanted Burnout Paradise edition looked cool. Interesting that Messi is fronting FIFA now, I think I still have a PES with him on the cover somewhere.

Ubisoft: Voodoo tits, Girl wood, RAYMAN, ZombiU, crazy entertainment and finally a NEW IP! Watch Dogs looked amazing. Ubisoft finally brought E3 to life!

I'm going to power through the night for Sony's conference, hoping for some surprises. My anticipation is still mostly with Nintendo's WiiU games presentation tomorrow and their 3DS presentation on Wednesday, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Sony have to offer.

MrLaserSharkKH said:
Joshawott said:
Max Takeshi said:
I'll call it now:

Source for that?

If so, that's the first confirmed Wii U game purchase from me.

EDIT: So Sony are ripping off Smash Bros? Come on, at least me subtle about it!

Sony's presentation bored me.

My thoughts so far.

Microsoft
Terrible. What few games they had to show were very underwhelming and everything else reeked of desperation. We already have enough streaming services for sports as it is, and music services are a dime a dozen. Couldn't care less about Kinect. I can't see them returning to the console market with a new console at this rate.
3/10

EA
Dull, and half the time they only talked about their sports games. Need For Speed looked OK. They tried damage control for The Old Republic. They turned Dead Space into a chest-high-walls-and-cover-shooter simulator.
4/10

Ubisoft
Ubisoft had the best selection of games by far. For the first time I got excited about Rayman. Watch_Dogs looked incredible and has the potential to be a new AAA IP. ZombiU had a really cool trailer but didn't really show anything else, but I can applaud them for making God Save the Queen listenable. Not so sure about the direction they're taking Assassin's Creed III.
6/10

Sony
Most games I didn't care about and they seemed desperate to shift Vita units by giving everyone in the audience a free one year subscription to PSN+. Last of Us looked too much like Uncharted for my taste but it had some cool ideas. No gameplay for Beyond was shown, so people need to stop creaming themselves over it.
5/10

Waiting for Nintendo with bated breath.

MaxonTreik said:
Not so sure about the direction they're taking Assassin's Creed III.
They're going with the "Jump through trees" direction.

Sony
No gameplay for Beyond was shown, so people need to stop creaming themselves over it.
Didn't they stay the story covers 15 years...and is in real time? :S

Also, I stopped watching Sony in the last few minutes because I got bored, but...did they reveal the SOEmote thing that was rumoured, or not? I'm guessing they didn't, but just wanted to be sure.

EDIT:
Mass Effect coming to Wii U?

no SOEmote at all. Wasn't revealed. So yeah, it was all games more or less from them, bar the change of PS Suite to PS Mobile.

Microsofts was....ok, and then it hit midway. Halo 4 was a good way to open, then going with Splinter Cell as well. If they had put Tomb RaiderIand South park) at the start of the conference as well, it would have been fine, i could have left it after xbox smartglass, which looks nice, but in some ways, feels like it's taking from the WiiU functionality already. My concern with microsofts, was Resident Evil 6. What have they done to it? Seriously, i've never been that horrified by a gameplay demo in a long while. Gaiden 3 still at least looked interesting at the time, but look at what happened to them by throwing in a million QTEs, nearly noone liked it.

EAs i never caught, but i did watch the Dead Space 3 "reveal" and gameplay, as well as some of the other bits in there. Dead Space has gone stupid as well, stop taking away horror from my games. We don't want stupid amounts of action, We.Want.Horror, it's why we buy Dead Space. With the gameplay demo shown, it's not there, so why would i want it? I'll maybe watch it if i have time later.

Ubisofts caught me off guard. It turned out to be far better than the other two easily, and that could possibly be down purely to Watch Dogs. My god that trailer was nice. I liked how they wanted to show off shootmania, but the problem is, fps is harder to sell in that respect than, say, RTS or fighting games. They would have been better showing off a basic tutorial then a small match. Kudos in getting the likes of swifty there though.

Sonys was good, really enjoyed it. A lot of games there with a fair bit of potential. It was let down by that stupid section on the move. It wasn't necessary at all. There is a reason most people have forgot about it. I remember seeing the All Stars gameplay stuff a few weeks back, and the reveal was meant to be Drake and Snake, so it was surprising to see Big Daddy in there. Still feels too much like an attempted Smash Bros Rip-off to make me want it though. The main other thing that took my interest was the Last of Us gameplay. It really was hella nice to watch. I never caught a release date or predicted release for it though, was there one shown?

Hopes are that Nintendo go all out with this one. Only a couple of hours away before it starts, so i'm gonna get whatever i need done before watching that

Joshawott said:
MrLaserSharkKH said:
Joshawott said:
Max Takeshi said:
I'll call it now:

Source for that?

If so, that's the first confirmed Wii U game purchase from me.

EDIT: Sony are paying tribute to Smash Bros

Pretty much a Given that PS3/360 and at a Push PC would be getting it!
In-fact they have already announced this pretty much already!

For the Wii U I would be hella surprised if I didn't see this appear on it, this game probably won't appear for at least another 18 months or so anyway, and Ubisoft are most definitely not going to just to just turn a blind eye on the Wii U after there showing of support of Wii U stuffs at E3!

Back