DVD Discussion and Questions

frostythebudgie

Brigade Leader
I'll start of this thread by asking a question first. I'm looking to buy Suzuka. The UK release is in 4 volumes but the US release is in six (except in the box set versions). Do all of the releases have the same amount of episodes? Which version should I buy ( UK single volume release is cheapest )?

Also, this is a thread for discussion of anime DVDs. Feel free to ask questions!

It's best to buy the US release of Suzuka, as Revelation Films the distributor of the UK release cancelled all their anime releases leaving quite a few series incomplete including Suzuka, which is why only 4 volumes were ever released here and why it it is so cheap. The US S.AV.E boxset is roughly over a tenner on UP1 and has all the episodes on it.

Good series, but as Rena said buy the region 1 release. The R2 release is incomplete.

It's cheap enough not to worry about the royal mail £8 fee.

Thanks, will do.

It's becoming much harder to collect the single volumes of anime from companies that are no longer in existence,, such as ADV and Revelation films. You get the first few volumes for a fair price, then the next one pops up at £130.

Seriously, look up Fullmetal Panic Mission 7 on Amazon.

Full metal panic is one of those series which should get re-released in the UK, it's been rescued in America with a lovely blu-ray (which I think is A/B).

Kite said:
Full metal panic is one of those series which should get re-released in the UK, it's been rescued in America with a lovely blu-ray (which I think is A/B).

Totally agree.

Hopefully someone like MVM or Manga will pick the original series and Fumoffu up, and release the Second Raid in the UK. Still waiting for the UK releases of Haganai and Highschool DxD... :roll:

frostythebudgie said:
Still waiting for the UK releases of Haganai and Highschool DxD... :roll:

Just a heads up if you can't wait any longer, the US versions for both titles are Region B (Blu-ray) and Region 2 (DVD) compatible.

Even more than those, I really want someone to pick Lucky Star up over here, I really can't be bothered paying £100 for the OOP Bandai Anime Legends release.

Same with Gurren Lagann and TMoHS...

frostythebudgie said:
Even more than those, I really want someone to pick Lucky Star up over here, I really can't be bothered paying £100 for the OOP Bandai Anime Legends release.

She practically treats foreign DVDs like contraband.

My DVDs of Magical Witch Punie Chan, Ah My Buddha and Air were all confiscated. Lucky my dad stepped in (mum and dad don't live together anymore) and said he'd get rid of them by selling them on eBay. Instead, he gave them back to me. :D

I managed to get Lucky Star on Ebay for £30 (with a figure & 2 games).
Just keep looking and you'll eventually find one at a decent price :)

Gurren Lagann is getting a re-release next year by Anime Limited and I suspect that Haruhi will eventually get a re-release as well.

frostythebudgie said:

The Australian version of lucky star is still available with a more decent price of just over £40 from united publications.

Anyone else excited about the UK release of Another?

Despite MVM's estimate, I'm starting to wonder what the BBFC will think of it. Sitting on the fence somewhere between /15 and 18...

EDIT: Huh. Disc 1 is rated 12 and disc 2 is rated 15. Didn't see that one coming. I guess Roberta's Blood Trail being rated 15 came as a surprise to me too though.

frostythebudgie said:

Despite MVM's estimate, I'm starting to wonder what the BBFC will think of it. Sitting on the fence somewhere between /15 and 18...

I would have been, if they released it on Blu-ray (was planned but cancelled).

Another got rated by the BBFC recently; 12 (Episodes 1-6) and 15 (Episodes 7-12). I guess the scene in Episode 7 avoided the 18 rating.

NormanicGrav said:
frostythebudgie said:

Another got rated by the BBFC recently; 12 (Episodes 1-6) and 15 (Episodes 7-12). I guess the scene in Episode 7 avoided the 18 rating.

The BBFC are strange...

Penguindrum rated 18? Really?

Having read up on some impressions and seen screenshots of the Penguindrum episodes in question, I'm actually not surprised it got an 18 based on the BBFC's current sensibilities. It actually takes a lot to get an 18 nowadays though.

I notice that all of Guilty Crown got passed as well, including episodes 12-22. We don't have a date for Guilty Crown part 2 yet but I guess they're imminent.

Since we're asking questions about DVDs, I'll ask one too! What was your very first DVD? My sister bought She's All That and Notting Hill back when we got our brand new PC with a DVD-ROM drive, but the first DVD bought specifically for me was Ghostbusters.

Ath said:
What was your very first DVD?
The third Matrix film was my first DVD. I bought it on release day in Woolworths along with the little remote control thingy you plug into an original Xbox to let it play DVDs. VHS was dead to me after that day.

frostythebudgie said:
NormanicGrav said:
frostythebudgie said:

The BBFC are strange...

Penguindrum rated 18? Really?

I know I got the first box set and it was a 12 but I never expected the second on to be a 18

Ath said:
What was your very first DVD?

First DVD: Lassie when I was five.

First CD: first Franz Ferdinand album when I was four.

First anime DVD: Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 when I was ten.

First horror DVD: IT when I was eight. / Alien Quadrilogy (amazing set, must-buy) just this year (I'm 12)

My ridiculously small anime DVD collection is (I started properly collecting a month ago):
Always My Santa
Eden of the East series
Excel Saga vol. 1
Beyblade Metal Fusion (aka Beyblade Solid Horse-****) volumes 1-4
Ouran High School Complete Series
Hellsing Ultimate Vol 3
Air TV S.A.V.E edition
Girls Bravo S.A.V.E edition
Pokemon Series 1+2
and some other crap

Back