Dragon Ball Z DVD questions

Semajer

Brigade Leader
I've been doing a bit of research recently into why there isn't a UK DVD release of Dragon Ball, Z and GT.

I just wondered if anyone knows why FUNimation haven't released their new season sets here. I've read that AB Group have the distribution rights but thats about it, does anyone know more about the AB Group's rights.

Also if anyone has the season DVDs are they region two? I've read that they are but I'd like to make sure before I consider buying them.

Techincally there has been some Dragonball Z releases. mainly the three movies (Tree of Might, Lord Slug and the one where Goku fight's Dr Wheelo but they didn't use their original name and the dubs were of very bad quality). I was always surprised by the fact that series never made it to these shores i mean the games look like they do well.

I hope Funimation's season sets NEVER get released here and stay in America, disgusting job they did to the series.

There was a post on this a month of so back explaining who has the licensing rights, I forget what it is though, someone else can explain. Anyhow if I remember correct, I think it's something to do with someone else having the rights for it in Europe... or something.

DaNiMe-sama said:
I hope Funimation's season sets NEVER get released here and stay in America, disgusting job they did to the series.

There was a post on this a month of so back explaining who has the licensing rights, I forget what it is though, someone else can explain. Anyhow if I remember correct, I think it's something to do with someone else having the rights for it in Europe... or something.

Andrew from Beez said something on the matter I think.

CitizenGeek said:
What's wrong with FUNi's DBZ releases?
They cropped it for widescreen TV's, meaning they cut off a section of the top and bottom of the picture (The show was originally made in full screen). Apparently it was done rather poorly.

They cropped up the edges totally ruining the 4:3 aspect of the show. I don't know much more about it.

I shall not be buying them in the near future though, A re-re-re-re-release is needed.

BlackWolf said:
Is this only on the recent Funi releases? I own the Funi release of the first Broly movie and there doesn't seem to be a problem with that
Apparently it's with these Season sets they are releasing. These.

I have the three season sets(RI), and I find them quite enjoyable.

Picture is good quality and it has been fun re-watching them again, especially since it's uncut and there's quite afew differences in the cut & uncut from what I can see.

Do you know if they have region 2 encoding?

Also I know about the cropping, I'm just not that bothered, I'd rather have cropped releases than nothing or those god-awful movies.

Jayme said:
DaNiMe-sama said:

Andrew from Beez said something on the matter I think.

Link?

I also own these sets. I can honestly tell you that they aren’t as bad as everyone makes them out to be (usually those who haven’t seen it for themselves and are repeating what they heard from some forum).

(bad points)
Indeed, they are cropped, and as a result of this, you do loose the top and bottom of the screen to create a widescreen picture.

(good points)
However, the show has been remastered at 1080p (although it has been released on DVD so the best you can currently see it is up-scaled if you have the equipment to do so), you get around 33 episodes or so (depending on the season) and there are 3 audio options. 5.1 English dubbed with the Japanese score, 2.0 English with the American score or Japanese mono for the voice and score.

Also, Funimation's DBZ shows are region 1,2 and 4, so they can be played on a standard pal DVD player and you can find it for as little as £18 if you shop around online.

I’m watching it on a HD set up-scaled to 1080p through a PS3 and it looks pretty nice, although, I would agree that it probably looks stupid on a standard definition TV that isn't widescreen, but the decision is ultimately yours alone.

Would you RLY be happy with a purchase like this:

45cd228348a0fae2af990110.L.jpg

Semajer said:

Read the Beez discussion thread.

There's really nothing wrong with them.

The original format had gone to **** around the edges...that's part of why they cropped it to widescreen. If they'd released it with noise all over the place, I'm willing to bet the people crying about the cropping would be moaning about poor quality DVD releases.

It's barely noticeable anyway, unless people feel the need to cap really random frames. It's not as if you just see Goku's chin and chest for the whole time...

I've got the season 1 DVD and am really pleased with it. I am pretty sure it is R1, 2 and 4 as mentioned earlier. Very good stuff especially considering the price~episode count ratio :)

King Jimmeh said:
I've got the season 1 DVD and am really pleased with it. I am pretty sure it is R1, 2 and 4 as mentioned earlier. Very good stuff especially considering the price~episode count ratio :)

Well, I never tried it on the PS3 before, so I just checked it out now.

What was said earlier is true, it'll work on region 2 players aswell, I just never tried it until now... :oops:

I can honestly tell you that they aren’t as bad as everyone makes them out to be (usually those who haven’t seen it for themselves and are repeating what they heard from some forum).

I agree.

Ash said:
HiroYui said:
I can honestly tell you that they aren’t as bad as everyone makes them out to be (usually those who haven’t seen it for themselves and are repeating what they heard from some forum).

I agree.

It's as much the principle as anything else. The fact that Funi cropped them at all is a bad thing, and the quality of the remastering could be significantly better. Having said that the sets are perfectly watchable, so long as you're not that fussy about video quality. There are a few dodgy shots here and there, but it's not as bad as the detractors make it out to be.

39 episodes for around £16 if you look around sounds great to me, just wondered about the dub?
May seem a silly question but is it the same dub we got on cartoon network UK?

The short answer is no. The dub we got was made by Ocean in Canada for non-US markets. This release uses the Funimation dub, which was only shown on TV in the US. The long answer is slightly more complicated, given that the Funi dub was shown overhere for a few episodes during the Namek/Freeza sagas, before being switched back to the canadian dub.

Back