Downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakey

Dandy Guy, in Space
Hey,
I was wondering where everyone downloaded there anime from (assuming you do). I have been getting mine from *link removed please read the rules about illegal downloading* but a friend of mine has been using anime crazy, this website is free unlike the one i have been using, is this actually a legal site? Coz i don't want to dl illegally.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CV3lfcQL8k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CV3lfcQL8k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

AFAIK the only legal downloading is the sort you pay for through the likes of iTunes. That site looks to be even worse than torrenting, as they're selling stuff they clearly don't own this rights to. 16 cents a day? C'mon. No way in hell is that legal.

I shall follow ayase's trend in answering the original question:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/psTUiQzNoxw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/psTUiQzNoxw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm pretty sure the site i dl from is legal. Can i seriously get banned on here for asking about downloading legally? I'm not interested in dodgey sites.

Can i seriously get banned on here for asking about downloading legally? I'm not interested in dodgey sites.
Except you just asked where everyone downloaded from, you didn't say legally - Potentially opening the floodgates for a very rule-violating thread. If we get it onto the subject of legal downloads I don't think there'll be a problem. ;)

Direct2Drive and iTunes are the only sources I know where you can legally download anime. And I don't even know if you can use Direct2Drive in the UK. Any sites offering anime for prices which are too good to be true are also too good to be legal.

ayase said:
Can i seriously get banned on here for asking about downloading legally? I'm not interested in dodgey sites.
Except you just asked where everyone downloaded from, you didn't say legally - Potentially opening the floodgates for a very rule-violating thread. If we get it onto the subject of legal downloads I don't think there'll be a problem. ;)

Direct2Drive and iTunes are the only sources I know where you can legally download anime. And I don't even know if you can use Direct2Drive in the UK. Any sites offering anime for prices which are too good to be true are also too good to be legal.

The only place with legal rights to download anime in the UK as current are Itunes and Xbox live, ofc manga are now doing streaming, but downloading from american sites even if legal are looked down about, This is anime UK News not anime America news, support your country ;)

Ryo Chan said:
ayase said:

The only place with legal rights to download anime in the UK as current are Itunes and Xbox live, ofc manga are now doing streaming, but downloading from american sites even if legal are looked down about, This is anime UK News not anime America news, support your country ;)

I apologise, i obviously wasn't entirely clear on what i was asking. At least i know where to download from now.

In response to RetroRainbows post, i doubt they will come round as the site i dl from isn't illegal. Also im 23 and don't live with my parents so i doubt they would taddle on me.

hehe np as i mentioned, no problems with talking about licenced or unlicenced anime, just as long as you don't name any sites or fansubbing groups ;)

Shakey said:
In response to RetroRainbows post, i doubt they will come round as the site i dl from isn't illegal.
You mean that one that's been replaced with "*link removed please read the rules about illegal downloading*" in your OP? :lol:

I hadn't noticed that, i guess that pisses on my bonfire lol. i'll have to change an use itunes.

ayase said:
Shakey said:
In response to RetroRainbows post, i doubt they will come round as the site i dl from isn't illegal.
You mean that one that's been replaced with "*link removed please read the rules about illegal downloading*" in your OP? :lol:

hoi hoi, just because chaz has the qualifications to be a boy in blue doesn't mean i'm going to send him around :D

Question, are legal downloads from outside the UK really frowned upon?

I know Funimation's website, when it's working just doesn't accept any attempt to purchase from outside the continental US (one reason why Manga will have FMA: B to sell in the UK), but I thought CR has worldwide distribution rights for some of its digital content, including both downloads and streaming.

I've never bought a download though so I wouldn't know. Too happy with the streaming option, and would prefer to spend my money on shiny discs.

Just Passing Through said:
Question, are legal downloads from outside the UK really frowned upon?

I know Funimation's website, when it's working just doesn't accept any attempt to purchase from outside the continental US (one reason why Manga will have FMA: B to sell in the UK), but I thought CR has worldwide distribution rights for some of its digital content, including both downloads and streaming.

I've never bought a download though so I wouldn't know. Too happy with the streaming option, and would prefer to spend my money on shiny discs.

ofc it's no different from buying region 1 disks when there are region 2 available

all in all yes someone is making money, but it's improving the american market, and killing the UK instead

imagine what our market would be like if we got releases before america. We'd be the buzzing country.

I'm sure Manga UK for example are urging you to give your hard money over to viz to buy Bleach instead of themselves ;)

Given that most of CR's offerings are either old shows which probably will never be released in the UK on disc anyway (Steel Angel Kurumi), or shows simulcast with Japan, aka not on disc in the US for another year at least, it shouldn't be an issue. The money in their case is a two way split, to them and to the Japanese creators.

To use your analogy, in this case the Region 1 discs are available, the CR downloads, but the Region 2 aren't. Those shows aren't streamed or downloadable from UK based company servers.

I get a touch of guilt (but not much) buying the Region 1 releases of Beez titles, simply because the collections are a fifth the price, but should I feel guilty for buying Shingu or Please Teacher?

The internet is a truly global market, and it's about who can get their produce to the consumers quickly and consistently.

I think a divide has formed between Internet content viewers and DVD collectors. Most of Manga's upcoming catalogue has been available to stream from Funimation for months (and given Funimation's lax security before the One Piece debacle, easily rippable to hard drive to anyone so inclined). You could (if the site were up) go and see all of Ouran, Negima, Shigurui, Baldr Force EXE, and most of Manga's other Funimation acquisitions for free, months before the eventual release on disc.

Yet Manga announced Ouran High School Host Club as the best selling Shojo title in the UK to date.

Ryo Chan said:
it's no different from buying region 1 disks when there are region 2 available

all in all yes someone is making money, but it's improving the american market, and killing the UK instead

imagine what our market would be like if we got releases before america. We'd be the buzzing country.

I'm sure Manga UK for example are urging you to give your hard money over to viz to buy Bleach instead of themselves ;)
The whole attitude of UK market protectionism (especially from fans) is something I find quite bizarre. It's up to the UK distros to offer us something better, either in terms of quality or price. We aren't obliged to spend more if there are better value alternatives available.

We're living in a global economy. Capitalism is supposed to thrive on free trade (or so we've been told for the past 30 years it's been decimating our manufacturing sector) but it seems a lot of companies now like preserving their own little domestic markets because it's easier for them to make a profit. A lot of businesses love free trade only when it suits them and not when it's good for the consumer. If media companies really believed in it, there should be no region coding - If governments really believed in it there should be no import taxes. The playing field should be level, and the market should decide which companies survive and which don't.

I have to say the majority of my collection is UK releases - I weigh up the cost, picture/sub quality, packaging quality, number of episodes per set etc. then decide whether to buy the UK, US or other version. This is now tilting very much in favour of the UK due to Manga's generous episode counts and Beez's good quality packages.

ayase said:
A lot of businesses love free trade only when it suits them and not when it's good for the consumer. If media companies really believed in it, there should be no region coding - If governments really believed in it there should be no import taxes. The playing field should be level, and the market should decide which companies survive and which don't.
I'll admit, I rarely support the UK industry at the moment due to the absence of titles available in it; I've bought all of the R2 shows I've had my eye on already. Naturally, if there are more people like me who look to R1 importing to benefit from its title selection, our own industry will suffer.
In my defence however, I am simply taking advantage of what is being offered. If I am acting immorally, I'd retort by saying such morals have been outgrown by the Information Age.

Zin5ki said:
ayase said:
A lot of businesses love free trade only when it suits them and not when it's good for the consumer. If media companies really believed in it, there should be no region coding - If governments really believed in it there should be no import taxes. The playing field should be level, and the market should decide which companies survive and which don't.
I'll admit, I rarely support the UK industry at the moment due to the absence of titles available in it; I've bought all of the R2 shows I've had my eye on already. Naturally, if there are more people like me who look to R1 importing to benefit from its title selection, our own industry will suffer.
In my defence however, I am simply taking advantage of what is being offered. If I am acting immorally, I'd retort by saying such morals have been outgrown by the Information Age.
That's exactly what I mean. Of course there isn't anything "immoral" about it. Other than the treatment of workers, morality doesn't come into economics! But whether the product in question is anime or not, some companies seem to be pushing the notion that they have a "right" to pursue market protectionism and that by buying foreign imports people are damaging their country. It's only bad for domestic business if they don't offer good value compared to their international counterparts, it certainly isn't bad for the consumer! If they can't keep up in price or quality, then they go down. That's the way the free market is supposed to work (and it would, if governments didn't keep propping their own domestic companies up with taxpayers money).

Er, can anybody see the topic anymore? Pass me those binoculars would you?

My personal stance is that so long as the creators are getting money from what I watch, I'm happy with it. So if (say) R1 has a show that the UK isn't likely to ever get due to the companies involved, I would feel no shame in buying from there so long as it's from a legal source and the creators are getting paid.

If a UK company announces a license in time or gets their act together and releases a good deal for something I don't have, I like buying locally. It's more convenient and makes it easier for our industry here to grow and reel in new [paying] fans.

I really like what Beez are pushing in the UK, i.e. near simultaneous releases for things like Gundam 00. That's the kind of thing which makes me happy to buy locally, whether digitally or on disc (personally, I prefer buying discs as I'm a collector type). I also very much like Manga's rebundlings of TV series in double/triple disc sets at a friendly price.

I hope that Beez's strategy will be the successful one long term, with us all benefiting from worldwide releases at competitive prices. As a consumer of much foreign music, video and art I greatly look forward to the day when this world works like a global marketplace instead of the current mess of illogical regions.

R

I like to support the R2 market whenever possible, but it's complicated. There is a mix of market size issues, availability and price matters that makes me buy elsewhere. Would I replace my R1 with R2 discs? I don't think so.
I try to support the distros I believe are doing it right, such as Manga and Beez, but that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back