Doodles (Image Heavy)

GolGotha

Death Scythe
I failed art back in 2005 or 2006 and hadn't picked up a pencil until last year, so please excuse the mistakes.

Started doodling whilst on the phone to a cutomer, was done straight in biro so there are a lot of mistakes

Started this but never finished...whoops!

First attempt at painting (acrylics) - Unfinished

"Making of"

Second attempt at painting (acrylics) - Unfinished

Decided to change the background last minute, not sure if I like it though...

What I'm working on at the moment

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Lum, Yuri and Rally? I approve.

Your inks look impressively smooth there, particularly on Rally and Lum. The acrylics have come out nicely as well, but there's just something about spot black... Sadly, I think it's becoming a lost art.

GolGotha

Death Scythe
Thanks guys :)

Lum & Yuri were done using a standard bic biro, where as Rally was done using Pilot drawing pens.

My apologies for being stupid, but what do you mean by "spot black" ?

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Eh, it might be a bit of an outdated term these days, but 'spot black' or 'spotting blacks' is when you tone an image using only full black and white. Something like this would be a good example.

It's something I've rarely seen on its own in manga - generally the black areas are accompanied by screentone dot patterns to fill in the midtones. It used to be much more common in American and European comics, but now that it's easier to print shades of grey and cheaper to print in full colour, it's not a technique you see so much of.

GolGotha

Death Scythe
Ah! I see.

I quite like that style. In fact I started doing it for Rally, but for some reason tried to add tones....think I should of left it alone :p

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Ach, it's just personal taste really - I think it looks fine there. I went through a phase of trying to use tones myself, but I gave it up as I never had much success with them.

GolGotha

Death Scythe
The only reason it really annoyed me is that everyone who chose the theme "Black" failed the exam....

The others were "Collage" and "Shoes"...how boring! lol

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Couldn't you just photocopy it once you've finished the pencils? It's what I used to do...

Always nice to see some love for the original Dirty Pair anyway :)