Do the BFI support anime?

serpantino

Thousand Master
I watch a lot of Asian films and a lot of them seen to get funding support for UK release from the BFI (British film industry).

Has anyone ever noticed an anime film supported by them? I think a couple of Ghibli may have but they have helped with some right rubbish in the past so I'm surprised they don't seem to regard anime as something to support.

If you're talking about the organisation BFI (British Film Institute) then they do support anime to an extent. They are literally running an Anime Month at the BFI Southbank at the moment, with them showing 9 different films this weekend.

In terms of them supporting the wider release of anime, I don't know if they fund production. You may find cases where they support locally made animation similar to how Song of the Sea had European funding.

If you're talking about the organisation BFI (British Film Institute) then they do support anime to an extent. They are literally running an Anime Month at the BFI Southbank at the moment, with them showing 9 different films this weekend.

In terms of them supporting the wider release of anime, I don't know if they fund production. You may find cases where they support locally made animation similar to how Song of the Sea had European funding.

Oops yeah that's what I meant ^_^. I don't bother with festivals, conventions etc so they all go over my head. I just wondered if they help fund home releases like they do with a lot of asian film.

Back