Deathsmiles (xbox 360)

Wow, crazy. Hope they sell more than seven copies, but then I also hope that the Villa will win the league this year...

At least I now know what nationality you are. :p

It sold >50k in the US (similar to japan), actually a fairly sound release.
Casuals that would be turned off by the EGL would be turned off by the fact it's an STG anyway. Or vice versa, us STG players don't care so long as it's not 3D or a euroshmup.
Most of the rest of their games have large quantities of moe anyway.

*I'm just as half-English half-Wesh as I always have been*

Oh **** yes!!!! I am all over this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ever since I saw the first screen shots in Arcadia I wanted to play it!

Here's hoping eventually we ca nget more of the Cave titles over here. ESPGaluda II especially.

ESPGaluda II is regionless anyway, like Mushihimesama Futari.
Import 'em.
Please let them bring out Ketsui and DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu (Resurection), the other 360 titles that have region lock.

Reaper gI said:
It sold like 100k in the US (more than it did in Japan), actually a fairly sound release.
Casuals that would be turned off by the EGL would be turned off by the fact it's an STG anyway. Or vice versa, us STG players don't care so long as it's not 3D or a euroshmup.
Most of the rest of their games have large quantities of moe anyway.

*I'm just as half-English half-Wesh as I always have been*
I know it sold pretty well in the US, but anyone I know outside of Japan who is into their 2D shooters has long ago set themselves up to import them due to not all of them being region free, and already bought Death Smiles. Probably part of the reason why it did sell so well. It never really occured to me that people might not buy it from the character design point of view, just that no-one in this country buys these games unless they're released at a truly budget price on XBLA or something.

And can you read Swedish then? Or was it just only reported on the Swedish site?

Only that site, that's where Cave pointed it out on their English Twitter, still a UK company picking it up tho'. Waiting for them to officialy confirm.

US and JP version had region lock; most people, even STG players, don't all have import consoles. A JP 360 costs ~ 3 times what a UK one does, and you get no support if it breaks.
US version was lower RRP as well.

Ah, OK, that's where they linked to, gotcha.

And seriously, I know plenty of people with import consoles to play shooters on, as there's a fair crossover between fighting game players and 2D shooter fans. Japanese 360s haven't been that expensive for very long, only UK price cuts and poor exchange rate has caused that. When I first imported a Japanese 360 (back when Blue Dragon came out) it was cheaper to buy one and import Asian-version games. People who are that into their niche genres have been importing consoles for a long time, certainly back when it was a lot harder and more expensive to import things than it is now!

You get more shooters on Wii ware than you do on an import 360. Almost all the XBLA ones are available globaly. There's fairly little reason to import this generation.
There's >50k people with US 360s that haven't imported a JP one. There should be similar in europe that haven't imported consoles either. I assume pleanty who would be put off by the costs involved. Buying the local version will be cheaper and get people that wouldn't go to those lengths to also buy it (myself included)

Edit for more official number

Just bought this seeing as I can use my Street Fighter controllers to make it somewhat playable.

Anyone wanna trade Gamertags for some hiscore competition or 2p action?

I've been playing since yesterday, using my SFIV fight stick for the truly authentic arcade experience. And it is magnificent. My short-term goal is to complete the game with every character on level 1 using a single credit, and even that's proving tricky.

Kaede: feel free to add me. GT=mytotyc exyt

Was playing this until 2.30am this morning, couldn't put it down it's such a great game. Made it quite far into the final stage playing on Rank 1 with 1 credit (Xbox360 mode). I tried a couple of levels on higher rank and they look much more fun! Deffo gonna be sticking with this game for a while.

I'm a bit put off ordering the other Cave titles though as the graphics in arcade mode look shocking on my HDTV. You really need a standard def, RGB television to play it properly and they're dying out.

EDIT: Fab, I have sent you a friend req.

Part way through the final stage is as far as I've been able to make it on a single credit and the lowest difficulty. My plan was to not ever use more than one, but having seen how tough the final stage is I relucantly decided to continue a few times just to get an idea of what I was up against. Hooo boy. It's going to be a while before I single-credit Deathsmiles!

Playing on at least level 2 difficulty is the way to go. Level 1 is too easy and can't prepare you for the intensity of the final stage /o\

Yeah that's a good idea actually, I'll try that tonight. Haha I also made the mistake first time round of selecting the canyon stage. :eek:

What's the dealio with the homing shot? (A+B buttons/X button). If you use it before your counter reaches 1000, it depletes the counter. It doesn't seem to be more powerful than the regular shot so I'm wondering what the point of it is? Is there a quicker way of bumping up the counter? I usually get my first power up mode on stage 2 (playing rank 1).

Made it to Tyrannosatan (lol) rank 2 all the way. Secret to the final stage is saving your power up mode for the trickiest spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
On one credit? I'm struggling to reach the final stage on one credit when playing all stages on level 2 (but having much fun trying). No idea about the homing shot; I haven't used it at all.

If you see me playing the game, feel free to send me an invite for co-op. I don't have a headset, though, so communications are out. I'm guessing that won't be too problematic, unless we have a knack of using our bombs and going into power up mode at exactly the same time ^_^;

fabricatedlunatic said:
On one credit? I'm struggling to reach the final stage on one credit when playing all stages on level 2 (but having much fun trying). No idea about the homing shot; I haven't used it at all.

If you see me playing the game, feel free to send me an invite for co-op. I don't have a headset, though, so communications are out. I'm guessing that won't be too problematic, unless we have a knack of using our bombs and going into power up mode at exactly the same time ^_^;

Continues are not an option!! Yeah on one credit, I've been playing Cave games for a fair few years now and this seems to be one of the easier ones.

Will do and no probs about the comms. Reevo, I'll add you too!

Back