Dead Island

Everyone seems to be going crazy about it, it trended on Twitter last night and it's still up there. It looks alright but I'm honestly sick of zombies these days, as much as I loved them, they're EVERYWHERE.

Lupus said:
Everyone seems to be going crazy about it, it trended on Twitter last night and it's still up there. It looks alright but I'm honestly sick of zombies these days, as much as I loved them, they're EVERYWHERE.

I got caught in the middle of IGN announcing the announcement for a re-reveal of the game a couple days back and they decided to troll everyone by including in a list of game that would NOT be revealed, this game.

Anywho, here're the details i found on the game:

Release date
Description
- first-person melee combat
- 4-player coop
- weapon customization
- set on an open world tropical island
- RPG elements for character development
- hordes of gruesome zombies
General information
Dead Island combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customization of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to 4 players in co-op mode.
Products
Developed for Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.
Website
http://www.deadisland.com

Reading that, I fear all the genres it wants to attempt will just make it fall flat on its face. It's ambitious but I'm very doubtful it can satisfactorily pull of all them ideas; it's like a nerds [wet] dream video game.

Hokum said:
Maybe it is cause I have a child, but I found the trailer very emotional.

That's pretty much what i thought after watching it properly(last time i did was middle o the night last night. Only half watched it). Though of course i'm minus a child.

In terms of impact though, if they can bring that style and feel into the entire game, gameplay and narration, this will be more than worth the purchase it has to be said. I'm gonna keep my eye on this, as soon as i find more, i'll fire it here.

I think we realise that, but a trailer is supposed to get you interested in a product... It has just done was it's supposed to...

Lupus said:
At least these zombies seem to be the old school shamblers and not the 28 Days Later style "zombies".

Wasn't this in production years ago? I remember seeing an old teaser for this ages back.

Yeah its been in production for a while as far as I've heard.

Can't tell much from the trailer, but the concept (a zombie apocalypse Fallout 3 from what I've heard) sounds interesting, but its being published by Deep Silver and I can't remember a single game that wasn't incredibly unfinished that they've published.

It'll be good to have a left 4 dead type game available on the ps3, Red Dead's undead nightmare mode doesn't really cut it.

As for the 'the trailer isn't the game' the same could be said for Mass Effect 3 and Batman: Arkham City, neither show any game engine footage.

i'll skip it, not big on zombie games myself, but if the visual and story qualities are as good as the trailer shows, i'll find it impossible to even try and fight off a horde of zombies

I'm with Hokum 100%

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQ5c9BzohM4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQ5c9BzohM4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

here we go, details for you people.

- Its going to be an open-world game.

- Devs call it a Zombi-slasher Action-RPG. Guy who have seen it calls it Left4Dead meets Fallout: New Vegas.

- 4 or 5 character classes with talent trees to put skill points into. Tank, Assassin, Leader, Jack-of-all-trades

- Crafting of objects

- Day and Night areas

- Slow, lumbering zombies, fast agressive zombies and exploding zombies

- Probably not zombie children

- PC, 360 and PS3 in 2011

I was going to say "of course there will be no zombie children" but then I remembered that they let Dead Space go through and that babies that had been taken over by Necromorphs, mind you the context of Dead Space is very different from this.

New trailer

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TyViM7KSdA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TyViM7KSdA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

If that trailer was an actor it'd be Orlando BLOOM.

On a more serious note, I'm getting rather concerned. So far all Dead Island has categorically proved is that they know how to make artsy trailers. I really hope the experience is just as enthralling.

Back