David Cameron says the UK is a Christian country

We are 'broadly' a Christian country; although as far as it goes we're far more sectarian or agnostic in actual practice for the average person.
We are considered a Christian country though, because as a country, and as a people, we still widely embrace events like Christmas and Easter, which are primarily Christian religious events.

I think "Sod off Dave" but then that's not really any different to what I thought before. He's just pandering to his Middle England voter base. I doubt he actually intends to do anything.

alexrose1uk said:
We are considered a Christian country though, because as a country, and as a people, we still widely embrace events like Christmas and Easter, which are primarily Christian religious events.

Is Easter widely embraced? I hardly even notice when it comes by.

Also, Christmas is primarily a commercial holiday now. Don't they celebrate it in Japan now.

Ark said:
alexrose1uk said:

Also, Christmas is primarily a commercial holiday now. Don't they celebrate it in Japan now.

I don't think anyone can fail to miss the stacks of chocolate eggs piled into supermarkets surely? :p

Bringing back Christianity on a wider scale won't mean that we'll be morally beteer, if anything it'll just encourage bigotry. Cameron fails on so many levels.

I also notice that the census stats in this article fail to mention Jedi as a religion, wasn't it the 4th biggest religion according to that census?

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Ark said:
alexrose1uk said:

I don't think anyone can fail to miss the stacks of chocolate eggs piled into supermarkets surely? :p

But other than that what is there?

What do chocolate eggs even have to do with the ressurection of Jesus 2000 years ago anyway?

Ark said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Ark said:
alexrose1uk said:

But other than that what is there?

What do chocolate eggs even have to do with the ressurection of Jesus 2000 years ago anyway?
Nothing. Because Easter was originally a Pagan event, so the whole eggs thing came from that I think.

animefreak17 said:
its all B***S*** if you ask me

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iBywRYQiZ4M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iBywRYQiZ4M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Ark said:
Yes, that recent development of Christmas in Japan. Never before has such a religion-free country been a better barometer of what Christmas means to people.

There is a solid reason that some forums don't encourage religious discussion.

ilmaestro said:
There is a solid reason that some forums don't encourage religious discussion.

Thank goodness we are above such pseudo-censorship.

tumblr_lqj0sywOun1qhk50go1_500.jpg

But of course, nowhere that is a registration-required forum actually is above that, and I wouldn't for a second suggest that there is anything "pseudo" about it. There are things you are allowed to say, and things you are not allowed to say, for many different reasons.

It all boils down to certain religious folk refusing to tolerate the suggestion that they might be incorrect. Why should those willing to debate be silenced for the sake of a closed-minded minority?

ilmaestro said:
But of course, nowhere that is a registration-required forum actually is above that, and I wouldn't for a second suggest that there is anything "pseudo" about it. There are things you are allowed to say, and things you are not allowed to say, for many different reasons.
I can't think of a single good reason to prevent anyone saying anything though.

Back