Crunchyroll to add offline playback in 2017

P

Paul

The video streaming market is an interesting place for anime fans right now. The competition is intense, with the long established Crunchyroll now facing strong competition in the form of Amazon & Netflix, but from the consumers perspective, this can only be a good thing.

In an article recently published on Polygon, it had been suggested that Amazon had the edge in the form of offline playback for their anime offerings, but according to that same article, Crunchyroll have now pledged to add offline playback to their own service in 2017.

Continue reading...

The competition is intense, with the long established Crunchyroll now facing strong competition in the form of Amazon & Netflix, but from the consumers perspective, this can only be a good thing.
I've always kinda wondered about this when it comes to streaming. After the season is carved up between multiple providers, I'll likely end up not actually being able to see everything I'd like to without being subscribed to all the services at once.

It sounds silly saying it... but I'd rather be a little ripped off by one service that does everything, than pay a fair price for 3.

I've always kinda wondered about this when it comes to streaming. After the season is carved up between multiple providers, I'll likely end up not actually being able to see everything I'd like to without being subscribed to all the services at once.

It sounds silly saying it... but I'd rather be a little ripped off by one service that does everything, than pay a fair price for 3.

This is a good point. When I was writing this, I was coming it at from more of a product development perspective, in the sense that the competition will drive the platforms to improve, but indeed, it's expensive to be subscribed to a load of anime streaming services.

I wonder if we'll ever reach a point where 1 service has a monopoly over anime.

I have similar reservations about the market being divided, but I do appreciate Amazon's download option for offline viewing, so if a little competition encourages CR to up their game, I won't complain just yet.

Back