Crunchyroll noob questions

P.H.O.E.N.I.X.

Completely Average High School Student
Pondering about subscribing to Crunchyroll. Can someone answer these questions, please?

1. Do shows on Crunchyroll expire?
2. How often do they add new content?

Thanks!

1. Yes, Crunchyroll shows can expire although
2. Mostly when the new Anime season starts. The summer anime season just started, so a bunch of new airing shows have just been added. Some shows to get added sporadically throughout the year though too.

As far as I know shows expire very rarely, I can't even think of any off the top of my head except when they took part of Attack on Titan down when the physical US release came out. Mostly, once something is on there, it's on there for good.

P.H.O.E.N.I.X. said:
Can I tell when will the shows expire? I hope they keep JoJo and Mushishi there long enough...

It's pretty rare for a show to expire on Crunchyroll. The titles that have expired have lasted at least 5-6 years.

They will notify fans on the Site News forum section by about 15-30 days ahead just to let everyone know.

Don't worry about JoJo and Mushishi, those two will definitely last until about 2020 or possibly more.

P.H.O.E.N.I.X. said:
Can I tell when will the shows expire? I hope they keep JoJo and Mushishi there long enough...

At the side of a video page, it says availability for free members and availability for premium members, I believe they add an "until" to the end of that listing, if it has a definite expiry date.

I don't think so but they will give you ample notice. Keep an eye on NormanicGrav's Anime Streaming Thread, he keeps track of all the comings and goings of shows, so if a show is leaving, he will post there.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18172

Also, shows don't expire that often, so you don't have anything to worry about.

They always make announcements when stuff expires as far in advance as they can. As others have said, it's pretty rare for stuff to actually do so though.

They did have Nichijou and Gosick until a little while ago (well, maybe quite a while now). I keep hoping they'll get Nichijou back at least, especially if it means someone is going to do a Blu-ray release. Any excuse to mention Nichijou.

If you happen to be on the Crunchyroll page and see something along the lines of "Marathon Time", that's often how they announce that something is being removed.

P.H.O.E.N.I.X. said:
What annoys me the most is it seems like most recent shows are geographically locked. I hate having to set up VPN...

I thought Crunchyroll had done well this season to avoid geo-locked titles. According to NormanicGrav's helpful thread, there's only 3 Crunchyroll simulcasts from this season that aren't available in the UK (although 2 are on Viewster instead of Crunchyroll).

And off the top of my head I can only think of one continuing simulcast from last season blocked in the UK (Rinne).

I don't think he (or she, I have guessed people's gender wrong about 3 times on this forum) isn't in the UK. In another thread he mentioned a show not being available on CR when I could access it, so I'm guessing he is from elsewhere.

Well, if he's from Continental Europe, Crunchyroll really dropped the ball there. I guess somebody beat them to the Aniplex simulcasts, but it apparently wasn't Viewster...

Buzz201 said:
Well, if he's from Continental Europe, Crunchyroll really dropped the ball there. I guess somebody beat them to the Aniplex simulcasts, but it apparently wasn't Viewster...

Wakanim have 3 of them in French speaking territories

kuuderes_shadow said:
Buzz201 said:

Wakanim have 3 of them in French speaking territories

I was looking at Germany, where Viewster only has Working!!.

Sorry if this seems rude but isn't Crunchyroll a pile of crap compared to Funimation's subscription service? Haven't Funimation had simulcast for Death Parade, Durarara!!, Assassination Classroom, Kekkai Sensen and Gangsta.?

Very shocked nowhere got Dragon Ball Super though...

No? And since we don't live in the US, we can't easily subscribe to FUNimation's service anyway. FUNimation's streaming sucks compared to some Japanese services too, and thus the cycle repeats.

R

Everything I've heard suggests that on at least a technical level, FUNi's streaming service is absolute balls. The fact that foreigners have to enter a captcha to get on the site, despite them licensing more titles for the UK than some UK-only licensors, only confirms that...

ConanThe3rd seemed convinced FUNi went out of their way to delay UK simulcasts for their titles on the Manga UK thread, but I've no idea how true that is.

abstract87 said:
Sorry if this seems rude but isn't Crunchyroll a pile of crap compared to Funimation's subscription service? Haven't Funimation had simulcast for Death Parade, Durarara!!, Assassination Classroom, Kekkai Sensen and Gangsta.?

Very shocked nowhere got Dragon Ball Super though...

We've got access to Death Parade, Durarara!!, Kekkai Sensen and Gangsta legally via Crunchyroll & Viewster. 4/5 isn't too bad ;-)

Back