Creating a Manga/Graphic Novel

Voddas

Symphogear
Hyperthetically speaking, if I was wanting to create a Manga or graphic novel, what would be the best techniques to use in your opinions?

Lets say the story itself has been completed and now it's time to put it onto paper. How much would be done using pens/pencils etc. and how much would be done using a computer (if any at all)? Also, if you would use a computer, what programs would you suggest using?

Maybe you'd draw the outlines firstly, then scan and shade in using a program? Being a novice, I would have no idea where to start. =P

You can do it all by computer, pick up a tablet and some software. s'good. plus CTRL+Z is far more effective than a rubber. no?

I have Manga studio 4, it's good.

Makes sense, only it's been a ball ache to find a decent tablet PC. All laptops are turning touchscreen instead. Plus I have like £480 worth of vouchers for amazon and they don't appear to sell them.

Thanks for the suggestion. Simple and smart.

Long answer: eh, I'd say it depends what kind of story you've got in mind.

If you're making fairly short comics and you can work out some means of tracing things (I use a sheet of clear perspex with an angle lamp behind it), then you could do it without a computer at all. It can take a lot longer and its harder to experiment as you go along, but it's by no means impossible. If you've got a pc and a scanner, you can still add colours or screentone as well.

Of course, you can save a lot of time by going digital. As Kirrimir says, being able to hit 'undo' when it all goes wrong is invaluable. Added to that, the scope for experimenting and creating effects you'd never have thought of otherwise is staggering. If you're planning something longer and more involved, this is probably the way to do it nowadays.

Short answer: you pays your money, you takes your choice really. If you've got plenty of practice drawing with traditional methods, I'd say try it that way first. If you're not heavily into drawing on paper, and you can afford it, by all means get a tablet or a tablet pc and go for it.

stuart-says-yes said:
So, the image isn't on the pad itself but on your PC/Laptop screen? How easy is it t get used to? Sounds like it would be hard to draw on one thing to see it appear else where?

Professor Irony said:
If you're making fairly short comics and you can work out some means of tracing things (I use a sheet of clear perspex with an angle lamp behind it), then you could do it without a computer at all. It can take a lot longer and its harder to experiment as you go along, but it's by no means impossible. If you've got a pc and a scanner, you can still add colours or screentone as well.

Of course, you can save a lot of time by going digital. As Kirrimir says, being able to hit 'undo' when it all goes wrong is invaluable. Added to that, the scope for experimenting and creating effects you'd never have thought of otherwise is staggering. If you're planning something longer and more involved, this is probably the way to do it nowadays.
Thanks for the advice. Truth is, I thought of an awesome story that if done well, could be great. I started off just doing it for fun but now it's become a whole different thing. I have very low expectations of it being completed as creating a manga takes a ot of work if it's done properly.
I'm a traditional "draw to paper" kind of guy and drawing with a mouse is the only digital stuff I've done (pain in the ****).
I guess the only way for me to do this is via Tablet if I want to do it properly.

If anyone has a preferred digital drawing device. I'm all ears.

Voddas said:
stuart-says-yes said:
So, the image isn't on the pad itself but on your PC/Laptop screen? How easy is it t get used to? Sounds like it would be hard to draw on one thing to see it appear else where?

Yes, I find standard graphics tablets impossible to understand since I have pretty poor coordination at the best of times. Fortunately my other half is quite arty and we have one of these, which is an excellent compromise.

R

Rui said:
Voddas said:
stuart-says-yes said:

Yes, I find standard graphics tablets impossible to understand since I have pretty poor coordination at the best of times. Fortunately my other half is quite arty and we have one of these, which is an excellent compromise.
That looks like it would be perfect but sadly out of my price range. That's exactly the kind of thing I'd be thinking of though.

I need to win the lottery. :?

Different people do different things. I normally pencil on paper, scan, and then ink, tone and letter on computer (Manga Studio/Photoshop), although that said I'm trying to get into inking on paper a bit more. It creates a bit of a different vibs so experiment with both perhaps?

If you're going to get a tablet it pretty much has to be a Wacom brand. It also takes a lot of practies to get properly used to.

As for toning, the old fashioned way of laying ziptone sheets over your inks is completely time-consuming and insane. Definitely consider getting Manga Studio Debut (4 is the latest version) at some point along the line, if only for that reason alone, lol. :)

If the idea of working straight onto the screen appeals to you, it is entirely possible to get a standalone tablet pc (as opposed to just a laptop with some basic touchscreen functionality) for far less than the price of a cintiq. I did attempt to look into this sort of thing with a view to buying one a while back, but it was more than a year ago and I really couldn't tell you what's worth buying now. Try having a look on youtube to get some idea of what's possible on different models. This, for example, isn't a particularly new model, but there's still plenty of drawing power there.

I wouldn't recommend it as a serious drawing tool, but if you were considering one anyway, it does seem possible to get some good results with the ipad too. He's drawing with his fingers, but you can buy a proper stylus for it as well.

Urgh, yeah, I have the issue where I can't draw something unless it's in front of me, i.e. a pad. I have a tablet, but it's not like the IPad, where you have a screen to "draw on." It has hot keys around it and you draw on the grey board, and the reaction comes on the computer screen... It's far too confusing do do it like that for me.

So are any of the mentioned tablets anything like the IPad, where you can see the screen on the tablet? I've not heard of it myself, but I can imagine it.

My usual workings are pencil sketch, pen/ink and scan. I then commonly use Photoshop or print and use Copic pens.

Yeah, the Cintiq series (the one Rui posted earlier on) is just that - it's basically a screen that you draw onto directly. They're horribly expensive and many tablet users argue that they're not worth the money as, aside from the ability to draw directly onto the screen, you can't really do anything you couldn't do with a standard model. Buy one and people will probably look at you as if you'd bought a big tasteless pimpmobile that says you have more money than class.

I've got one and I love it dearly.

All I just do is draw the picture on paper,then scan it on the computer and digitally colour it in on gimp,like my avatar, but if you're getting a graphics tablet I recommend that you 'don't' get one smaller than A4 because they tend to not cover the screen.
:D

That's a good point actually. The original tablet I bought is about A5 size and, while it's fine for colouring, I never liked trying to draw anything on it from scratch.

dinkeytom said:
All I just do is draw the picture on paper,then scan it on the computer and digitally colour it in on gimp,like my avatar, but if you're getting a graphics tablet I recommend that you 'don't' get one smaller than A4 because they tend to not cover the screen.
:D

What? Yes they do, theres a setting to let it cover the whole screen or only a section.

You could keep zooming in and out to do a larger page, but if you like working at a large scale, I find there's not much room to move your arm when you're working on an A5.

I would have no problem using an A5 screen. I've only had the pleasure of using a tabet to draw on one occasion and that was an A5. Obviously an A4 would be much better, but if it was the difference of a few hundred pounds, then I'd take the compromise.

Thanks for all the tips and advice people. Looks like I'm going to have to fork out some money if I'm wanting to take this seriously. Untill then, I'll being going old school with a pencil and pad. I guess This will be the third time I've saved for a tablet (last time managed to get to £600). Hopefully this time I'll have something to aim for and keep me on track.
...either that or I just find an awesome artist and join forces. :p

If it ever comes to fruition, then I'll most definately be using you all as my study group. Long time no read by the way Black. Hope all's well. =D

Back