Could You See Samurai Pizza Cats Getting A UK Release?

Invisible Crane

Adventurer
I'm surprised no one (Manga UK, Animatsu, MVM, Anime Limited, etc) has considered this, sure it's an old show but it's got a cult following and it's probably a cheap license as well?. I remember asking Manga UK on Twitter if they would consider licensed SPC and I think they did express some interest but nothing came out of that obviously?

Hm, I'm not sure how big its cult following is in the UK? I know it aired on television but I think it was on a satellite channel at a time when such things were mostly for a rather select demographic in the UK.

There's also the problem of its length, as all of that would have to get BBFCed. People would complain if it wasn't released in one big set and they would complain if it was. And MVM still remembers the trauma of trying to release a dub-only westernised version of a popular kiddy show; it didn't go too well.

I bought the US version already (of the Japanese version; I find the dub unintelligible and would need SDH to be able to watch it). I'm guessing that at $34 from Amazon USA a lot of the hardcore pizza cat fans will have sorted themselves out already.

R

The point is also rendered ever so slightly moot by the fact that the Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee DVD set works in UK players without need of a hack. I can't say with 100% confidence that the separate Samurai Pizza Cats set will, but there seems to be a pattern of all Discotek's stuff being region free on DVD.

And I love them for that.

Honestly, I think it's more up the alley of the likes of Contender (or whatever they are called these days) or whoever it was released the likes of Battle of the Planets, Cities of Gold and Thundercats etc.

Rui said:
I know it aired on television but I think it was on a satellite channel at a time when such things were mostly for a rather select demographic in the UK.
If I remember correctly, it originally aired on ITV as part of the CITV slot many moons ago and didn't move to satellite TV until much later (the only time I saw it running on a satellite channel was when it was run as part of the made in Japan season on what was known as fox kids).

I saw it long before we had cable and we've never had satellite. I'm sure it was a Saturday rather than a weekday show, probably on whatever incarnation of Get Fresh/Ghost Train/etc. was around at the time.

This topic makes me sad now. I missed the entire Samurai Pizza Cats wave in the UK, apparently.

R

Guys - turn those frowns upside down and nab Discotek's DVDs!

I almost NEVER do ths, but since my Kyatto-Ninden Teyandee set arrived, I've popped it on a few times to watch a few isolated episodes ahead of watching it in one run. It's great fun, and really holds up. Those kinds of shows never really date badly.

Back