CosDocs.

Ash

Dandy Guy, in Space
Spotted an advertisement on Anime Central's website for "CosDocs", it seems as they're making a show about Cosplayers.

And If you remember the quote from Neo magazine about what Mark Buchanan will be promising this year;
"Also, everyone at Anime Central will spend atleast Friday afternoons dressed in cosplay."

If this is what he was talking about, I have no doubts of seeing Monster subbed on Anime Central.

Just received email from Anime Central and it isn't going to be anything big, just short documentaries during the commercials.

Email:
Tomorrow (16/2/2008) Anime Central will broadcast the first batch of CosDocs, a series of short documentaries celebrating the Cosplay phenomenon.

Airing during ad-breaks on SKY Channel 199, the first collection will see our participants introduce themselves dressed in their spectacular outfits.

McIcy said:
Wish I had the channel so i could check it out, would be interested to see others cosplays

I caught one of them whilst channel flicking on Saturday; an early 20's chap dressed as Allen Walker from D Gray-man. it was basically a couple of minutes long with him saying "yeah, I have a job, I go home, make this outfit *shrug*"
Was kinda painful to watch really...

The cosplayers were actually -good- from what I saw. However, what they had to say was pretty dull. "I'm Jack, I'm an accountant based in Surrey, etc." Oh lawd. Just tell us why you made the choice to cosplay as that character and why you like the series he/she is from. Though I suppose it DOES give us an outlook on their REAL life, which I can respect.

From my experience though, the underlying draw behind cosplay is its social aspect within its specific environment, so taking them out of the environment and interviewing them separately doesn't really give much of an indication or feel for cosplays appeal.

It kinda reminds me of a documentary I saw ages ago where a sociologist took clubbers and townies aside and interviewed them in isolation, showing a completely different side to them than their group behaviour (i.e. we are generally all quite scared, lonely people).

If they did a study on cosplayers actually at the conventions, that would probably give people a better idea what it's all about (and how fun it can be!)

I can see your point, its more fun at convensions in cosplay as more people come up to you or want there pics taken with you, also the Glomping can be fun

These are actually starting to piss me off. AC seemed to have gone for a nice 'prestigious' wobbly camera effect or something and it makes it look cheap, The same applies for the echo in where it is filmed. They also talk about why they like anime, But so many of them just seem to explain what they like about one genre or end up saying something along the lines of "I like anime because they can go places in which real life can't". Gah! Their outfits are okay, I suppose, Not the best I've seen by far. Some don't even reslemble the people they are mean't to be Cosplaying. If you haven't seen them, this person on YouTube has recorded them and is apparently in some of them.

As Fellistowe said, They need to show them at expos socializing - NOT like this. I HAVE to turn over at the beginning and end of every adverts now. ;/

Also, CosDoc's WTF

Jayme said:
As Fellistowe said, They need to show them at expos socializing - NOT like this. I HAVE to turn over at the beginning and end of every adverts now. ;/
Having cosplayers in their natural habitat and having David Attenborough commentating? :0

It'd show what anime fans are really like, but that's not the type of anime fan I'd like to see.

I don't own a tv, and obviously, I don't have sky either. But I watched some of these on Youtube...and they're ridiculous.
I've never cosplayed before, and realise that costumes aren't going to magically turn the wearer into a doppelganger of chosen anime chracter. But to see these people standing in a camera, stiff, and meekly drone their opinion of anime is pretty alarming. If I was just trying the channel for the first time, these cosdocs would probably put me off anime.
I agree that seeing cosplayers joking around at a convention would be far less disturbing.

These ads are tacky and cringeworthy. When they come on I have to turn over or at least flick on mute as quick as possible. Ugh... really bad idea and it's actually a little worse than I thought it would be. I don't think I could recommend the channel so easily no in case they saw one of them... just ugh...

:D glad to see so many fans ^ ^ gotta admit they are quite bad but as that allen walker d grayman cosplayer :p they did kinda box us in on what to say and by box i mean tell oh and ime not 20 yet damn it still a few months before i hit that milestone

i can hardly bear to watch those Ads tbh i thought it was only gonna be mass photoshoot done in groups followed by whats you favourite channel(shout obligatory anime central question) though they made me retake the scene when i said qvc the first time :wink:

anyway waffling short sorry to make you all cringe when in comes on but if its any consolation i die a little inside to when i see it :oops:

ragnarock said:
:D glad to see so many fans ^ ^ gotta admit they are quite bad but as that allen walker d grayman cosplayer :p they did kinda box us in on what to say and by box i mean tell oh and ime not 20 yet damn it still a few months before i hit that milestone

i can hardly bear to watch those Ads tbh i thought it was only gonna be mass photoshoot done in groups followed by whats you favourite channel(shout obligatory anime central question) though they made me retake the scene when i said qvc the first time :wink:

anyway waffling short sorry to make you all cringe when in comes on but if its any consolation i die a little inside to when i see it :oops:

Oh..eh...hehe...uhumm...*cough*

I didn't mean what I said, heh. Quite eloquent really, like watching Chaucer recite a sonnet...Is what I'm sure your 'cosdoc' resembled, I haven't seen it...to my most sincere regret...

heh. :p

It is cringe worthy watching it, but it does take some nerve to stand up there in front of a camera dressed up and have to talk about yourself and your hobby. I used to LARP and I don't think I would have coped even if nobody could tell who I was in full armour and wig with or without make-up.

Back