Clip from new Rooster Teeth series 'gen:LOCK' featuring David Tennant and Monica Rial

Mr L

Great Teacher
Rooster Teeth have released a clip from their upcoming series 'gen:LOCK' that will start next year.

Watch here.

The. Animation looks like a step up from RWBY which should he a given if they're involving the likes of 'David Tennant' and 'Michael B Jordan'.

I always want to support projects like this due to my feelings on how a lot of western animation is these days. Either its light, comedic had appealing to kids or raunchy and risqué humour for adults. There can be some crossover appeal with the former but overall its still very confining.

Hearing David Tenant matched with Monica Rial is something I never ever thought would happen, she even calls him 'Doctor'. .

I'm very wary about Rooster Teeth stuff, to be honest. I was a massive fan back in the day, but after the absolute generic garbage fire that is RWBY and the slow decline into awfulness that is post Season 10 Red vs Blue, I'll remain skeptical. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, they've learned since Season 1 of RWBY, the animation looks pretty decent on the robots, although I'm not too sure about the character models, and they have real voice actors now rather than just hiring random people around the office plus the writer's at the time girlfriend. Oh, it's also not being written by either of the cringelords responsible for RWBY either. I can only assume if they're attracting good talent such as Tenant and Jordan, that they must think the script is up to snuff, so I'll probably give it a go.

Last edited:
RWVY seems polarsing based on all the opinions I've heard. I haven't seen enough to formulate my own opinion. It didn't suck me in enough to binge it and I had some questions on certain plot developments but didn't hate it either. Weirdly though, the Chibi comedy spin off seemed better executed in many respects. I could tolerate the presentational glass given the budget and considering CGI anime style animation was something not even Japan had mastered when RWBY started,

Though now that 'Land of the Lustrous' exists, the bar for CG anime is a lot higher than it used to be.

RWVY seems polarsing based on all the opinions I've heard. I haven't seen enough to formulate my own opinion. It didn't suck me in enough to binge it and I had some questions on certain plot developments but didn't hate it either. Weirdly though, the Chibi comedy spin off seemed better executed in many respects. I could tolerate the presentational glass given the budget and considering CGI anime style animation was something not even Japan had mastered when RWBY started,

Though now that 'Land of the Lustrous' exists, the bar for CG anime is a lot higher than it used to be.

I've only seen Season 1 of RWBY, and I just found it to be awful in all respects. Yes, the animation was crap, and I can understand why, the team was tiny back then, but a good story and cast can elevate that so it doesn't matter. I like the 2016/2017 versions of Berserk, looking past animation is not something that I'm incapable of doing, however the writing was awful, with cringey humour shoved in, trite and overdone plot points and some of the most dislikeable characters I've seen in a show, ranging from over-done walking cliches to boring as all hell to plain obnoxious. The only positives I'll give it are the fight choreography and music, which were both really great. Just made me feel like the talents of Monty Oum and Jeff Williams were being wasted on such crap. It was pretty annoying as a fan of Red vs Blue, as it took both of them away from that series, which is (or was anyway) better in every respect.

GwG posted a short clip a little while ago of something entitled Rooster Teeth; I think it was a short that featured characters from the RWBY series. I must say if that's what the animation looks like throughout the series then in my opinion it looks positively awful!

There's flawed animation in a show, which is annoying but , you know - it happens. No anime is going to be perfectly executed when you consider certain circumstances (budget; time constraints; different people coming and going). The animation itself doesn't have to be perfect, but I do expect there to be a degree of quality throughout. You know, you want to be able to tell that the creators have actually researched things to make movements look convincing, and you want to see that they've put their heart and soul into the project. Aside from it being an awful show, this is where Yuri!!! On Ice let itself down for me - you could tell it had been rushed to the point where the animation in parts was just so shoddy and inconsistent. Very poor.

And then, there's just...awful animation style from the off. The fact that the collective studio had come to an agreement that "this" is how the show should look visually throughout. I understand completely that this is a subjective thing; we all have different tastes regarding style, but I just can't get on board with something if I don't like it visually, however good the show might be. The overall style of a show has to appeal to me - the visual "look" of it; the overall aesthetic, if you will. @Neil.T has told me before that Ergo Proxy is one that he would recommend, but I've stated that based on it just being so visually unappealing to me, I simply have no interest whatsoever in even wanting to check it out. It's that simple. As shallow as it might seem, I just know what I like and what I don't like. Maybe it's the artist in me. Anything with a rigid and realistic look is automatically not going to interest me - I much prefer less realistic and stylised animation, and as @Lambadelta compared the clip to a "cheesy game cinematic" - that's exactly what I was trying to think of whan I saw that clip that GwG posted that time. Even if it's only a short, it's just AWFUL!

Added to the fact that RWBY is a multiple season series (I just can't be bothered with long-winded anime; even 50 episodes is pushing it for me, but that's the max limit; I've got **** to do), it's something I definitely won't be checking out any time soon.

DISCALIMER: I'm pretty blunt anyway but at certain times of the month my hormones just crank it up a notch!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's flawed animation in a show, which is annoying but , you know - it happens. No anime is going to be perfectly executed when you consider certain circumstances (budget; time constraints; different people coming and going). The animation itself doesn't have to be perfect, but I do expect there to be a degree of quality throughout. You know, you want to be able to tell that the creators have actually researched things to make movements look convincing, and you want to see that they've put their heart and soul into the project. Aside from it being an awful show, this is where Yuri!!! On Ice let itself down for me - you could tell it had been rushed to the point where the animation in parts was just so shoddy and inconsistent. Very poor.

And then, there's just...awful animation style from the off. The fact that the collective studio had come to an agreement that "this" is how the show should look visually throughout. I understand completely that this is a subjective thing; we all have different tastes regarding style, but I just can't get on board with something if I don't like it visually, however good the show might be. The overall style of a show has to appeal to me - the visual "look" of it; the overall aesthetic, if you will. @Neil.T has told me before that Ergo Proxy is one that he would recommend, but I've stated that based on it just being so visually unappealing to me, I simply have no interest whatsoever in even wanting to check it out. It's that simple. As shallow as it might seem, I just know what I like and what I don't like. Maybe it's the artist in me. Anything with a rigid and realistic look is automatically not going to interest me - I much prefer less realistic and stylised animation, and as @Lambadelta compared the clip to a "cheesy game cinematic" - that's exactly what I was trying to think of whan I saw that clip that GwG posted that time. Even if it's only a short, it's just AWFUL!

Added to the fact that RWBY is a multiple season series (I just can't be bothered with long-winded anime; even 50 episodes is pushing it for me, but that's the max limit; I've got **** to do), it's something I definitely won't be checking out any time soon.

DISCALIMER: I'm pretty blunt anyway but at certain times of the month my hormones just crank it up a notch!

There's a distinction to be mbade between animation and art style and I find the letter more likely turn me off than the former. This show's style of this doesn't bother me at all but I can't realky form an opinion on the animation with this isolated clip though I did think better of it than RWBY.

In fact RWBY's art never bothered me either (apart from some of the backgrounds).

2D/3D hybrids always seeks to be a contentious issue in animation and is a style still being refined. I see it in video games too with titles that feature 2D gameplay but use 3D graphics, its always a sore spot for some no matter how well its executed.

There's a distinction to be mbade between animation and art style and I find the letter more likely turn me off than the former
Rightly so, it's why I'm so picky about anime as it is. I can't just watch anything - aside from subject matter and genre, the visual style has to appeal to me.

2D/3D hybrids always seeks to be a contentious issue in animation and is a style still being refined. I see it in video games too with titles that feature 2D gameplay but use 3D graphics, its always a sore spot for some no matter how well its executed.
I can agree with this well enough. I think so long as there's a balance and the CGI isn't just being used for the sake of it. Use it to complement the 2D elements, rather than to overpower, in my opinion. Sometimes it can look too out of place. Even in the Digimon Adventure Tri movie's I've started watching, things like the rippling water effects (made in CGI) look a bit...odd. It's all too easy to go overboard with the effects. Maybe it's just easier to do certain things in CGI. I mean, I'm a huge fan of the Disney and Pixar films now; I never used to like the early Pixar stuff, but the animation has improved over the years. It looks less rigid than it used to, because the technology has improved over time. Even the newer Disney films now are animated in the "style" of the 2D films, but in 3D CGI.

Rightly so, it's why I'm so picky about anime as it is. I can't just watch anything - aside from subject matter and genre, the visual style has to appeal to me.

I can agree with this well enough. I think so long as there's a balance and the CGI isn't just being used for the sake of it. Use it to complement the 2D elements, rather than to overpower, in my opinion. Sometimes it can look too out of place. Even in the Digimon Adventure Tri movie's I've started watching, things like the rippling water effects (made in CGI) look a bit...odd. It's all too easy to go overboard with the effects. Maybe it's just easier to do certain things in CGI. I mean, I'm a huge fan of the Disney and Pixar films now; I never used to like the early Pixar stuff, but the animation has improved over the years. It looks less rigid than it used to, because the technology has improved over time. Even the newer Disney films now are animated in the "style" of the 2D films, but in 3D CGI.

Even if I find some of the CG noticeable I can overlook or forgive it if it pays benefit in other areas. In 'Attack on Titan' it allowed for panning cameras to really show off the 'omnidirectional' combat. In the recent 'Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory', the CG mechs moved very smoothly which actually made it easier to follow some of the faster paced action.

Certainly if you what smooth animation, CGI is far easier and cheaper, it lets them do things that would require a movie budget to achieve hand drawn.

Back