China got of to a flying start

Gacha said:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5htyQcYIQm7c-zInuJmwHf2AvAr7Q

KASHGAR, China (AFP) — Chinese authorities moved Tuesday to keep a lid on further information about a deadly assault on Kashgar police with a truck, explosives and machetes.
Well we can all see how this olympics is gonna end.

America invading claiming China has WMD's?

wait..... they do

Ryo Chan said:
Gacha said:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5htyQcYIQm7c-zInuJmwHf2AvAr7Q

KASHGAR, China (AFP) — Chinese authorities moved Tuesday to keep a lid on further information about a deadly assault on Kashgar police with a truck, explosives and machetes.
Well we can all see how this olympics is gonna end.

America invading claiming China has WMD's?

wait..... they do
It's the only ways to make sure America *won't* invade. Why do you think the Iranians want them?

I don't have any problems with China. All the people in the West who go on about Tibet need to have a good long look at their own countries first before passing judgement on other people's. Especially the Yanks.

well can't get any worse

oh wait

An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.0 has struck Sichuan province in China, the US Geological Survey says.

The quake struck just before 1800 (1000 GMT), 48km (30 miles) north-west of Guangyuan city, and occurred at a depth of 10km (6.2 miles), the agency said.

To quote family guy

"You want an explanation..... GOD IS P***ED" :D

ayase said:
I don't have any problems with China. All the people in the West who go on about Tibet need to have a good long look at their own countries first before passing judgement on other people's. Especially the Yanks.

I think you're being unduly kind on China and unduly harsh on the West. All Western countries are by far superior to China in terms of human rights and freedom of speech.

In terms of Tibet, I agree that many countries in the West seem hypocritical in their criticisms of that whole situation. Russia still exerts control over Chechnya , the UK still exerts ownership over Northern Ireland, Spain does the same with Catalonia and the Basque regions etc. So, yes, that does come across as being hypocritical.

Ryo Chan said:
This is true, China's actually the doing more to look after the environment than the UK and US combined

Eh, what? Where did you get this idea from? Beijing - for example - is so polluted that it's routinely covered in prohibitive and hazardous smog blankets. The US and the UK are, by far, much better for being environmentally friendly than China.

CitizenGeek said:
Ryo Chan said:
This is true, China's actually the doing more to look after the environment than the UK and US combined

Eh, what? Where did you get this idea from? Beijing - for example - is so polluted that it's routinely covered in prohibitive and hazardous smog blankets. The US and the UK are, by far, much better for being environmentally friendly than China.

shoulda reworded it, yes they do have terrible pollution issues, but according to a sky news report a week or so ago, they've tackled it quite a bit, more so than the UK or the US is tackling theres.

Not saying that they're not big polluters stills, but atleast they're trying

Ryo Chan said:
shoulda reworded it, yes they do have terrible pollution issues, but according to a sky news report a week or so ago, they've tackled it quite a bit, more so than the UK or the US is tackling theres.

China has taken temporary measures to reduce pollution in Beijing in time for the Olympics. But these measures are definitely only temporary (banning cars in large parts of the city, for example, is obviously temporary) and I've seen or read nothing that would suggest a shift in China's attitude to pollution. The UK, and to a lesser extent, the US are pretty much a hundred million times better than China in terms of environmentalism ;]

Ryo Chan said:
aren't the US the ones refusing to sign this treaty about cutting their carbon footprint though?

Yes, but China's only responsibility to the treaty is to monitor and report CO2 emissions. The US has a horrible track record on protecting the environment, but at least there is a movement in that country to change things. No such movement, as far as I can tell, exists in China.

Many US cities have so much air pollution (more so in hot conditions) that living in them is no different than if you were smoking 30 odd cigarettes a day. But I have no clue how bad in comparison Beijing is/was.

Ah yeah, i heard about that, and the fact that they are apparently trying to 'clean up' Beijing of things they deem an 'eyesore', this includes a lot of the people on the streets. Seems kinda stupid to be honest. They also put some provinces into military law i believe.

£20 says London suffers a small-scale terrorist attack in 2012. I don't wish it on anyone, but you just know someone will be plotting one.

CitizenGeek said:
All Western countries are by far superior to China in terms of human rights and freedom of speech.
Yeah, like we can protest outside parliament... oh wait...
Sure, China's worse. But that still pisses me off.

Ryo Chan said:

Eh, when you pollute that much, even small actions will have proportionally larger knock-on effects.
Plus China has the ability to, y'know, stop all cars from entering the capital. Most other governments don't.

kupoartist said:
£20 says London suffers a small-scale terrorist attack in 2012. I don't wish it on anyone, but you just know someone will be plotting one.
£20 says the facilities won't be ready by 2012 anyway ^^;

Ramadahl said:
kupoartist said:
It will be ready, but then, we will see the number of immigrants doubling.. :p

chaos said:
Ramadahl said:
kupoartist said:
It will be ready, but then, we will see the number of immigrants doubling.. :p

Being semi-serious here I bet there will be a lot less athlete defections during the Olympics in China than in any Western country it has been held in recently or the near future.

On the pollution side I will have to look it up but I am sure I have heard a quote somewhere (probably friends of the earth through friends) that China is opening something like 2 new coal/rice straw fired power stations a week to meet power demands.

CitizenGeek said:
ayase said:

I think you're being unduly kind on China and unduly harsh on the West. All Western countries are by far superior to China in terms of human rights and freedom of speech.

In terms of Tibet, I agree that many countries in the West seem hypocritical in their criticisms of that whole situation. Russia still exerts control over Chechnya , the UK still exerts ownership over Northern Ireland, Spain does the same with Catalonia and the Basque regions etc. So, yes, that does come across as being hypocritical.
The main reason I don't have a problem with China CG, Is because it's not my damn country. It's up to the people of China to decide how their country is run through whatever means they deem necessary. They overthrew the government back in the 40's.

I don't like our government and military interfering with Iraq and Afghanistan any more that I like our politicians trying to interfere with China. Does Hu Jintao ever get up and tell us how to run Britain like George Wa*ker Bush (only today, just before he goes to China no less!) was telling China to run theirs?

This thread is getting too serious. To that end, here's a conspiracy theory: there are loads of good Chinese restaurants in the UK because the Chinese are trying to get the rest of the world overweight and slow so they can beat us at the olympics. Makes sense to me. :p

Back