Can someone help me, please?...

Aion

Time-Traveller
Mathematics has always been a troublesome area for me, and I need some help working something out in order to reaffirm my love for Madhouse: If you happen to have the time, could you watch these three opening animations and tell me how many school girls/females you count?

Thanks in advance!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ob5TWOwFz0Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ob5TWOwFz0Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_Q5BmxDYug?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_Q5BmxDYug?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOBz4PTr6kU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOBz4PTr6kU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

PS: Fabio needs to watch the first two, at the very least. Otherwise...

Let's just grab some metalcore ******** and throw a bunch of pretty, flashing images around and call it an opening.

With that said Rainbow was great.

Maxon said:
These guys aren't kawaii enough.

I dunno there was something incredibly camp about the second one. Frequently shirtless (without a manly physique) and unbuttoned jeans... I'm not sure what I should draw from this post

Hard to return when I never went anywhere exotic. It's just, I couldn't be arsed to type my username, or check the forum more frequently than every few days/week.

Rainbow was great when Bro was doing his Kamina thing and there was an evil warden screaming "Sakuragiiiii!!!!!!" - far less great after that. It lost its sense of purpose completely once episodic 'closing off' stories took center stage. Rainbow minus Bro is a lot like TTGL minus Kamina...

The One Outs toplessness puzzles me. It's clearly not a show for those better making s... ladies, and yet the opening seems to pander to the fairer sex by having the lead show off his ladyboy curves. He's never nekid in the series proper, and I don't even recall there being ONE female during the Death Note-esque psychological warfare.

Anyway: more people should watch the first two; in particular, people who love **** with school girl moe/never watch anything animated without pantsu. Kaiji's my latest top ten addition for the simple fact it made card games involving people with big noses thrilling - and I mean edge of your seat thrilling.

Why did you catch it and then let it go in the first place? A bit daft, that...

It remains high on intensity, all the way to the end. The first 'game' deals with how Toua can win using only fastballs and intelligence; the second deals with how Toua deals with the fastest base runner (an American who goes, "Oh, ****!"); and the third with a 'trick stadium', full of cheating. The only downer is that it, like Kaiji, ends incomplete.

Talking of Kaiji, if you like either Death Note or One Outs, you'll like Kaiji, too. It's about those in debt putting their lives on the line, using their brains and luck - gambling against others in debt. The fact its lead is a loser, rather than a genius, makes it easy to get into.

I watched Kaiji, it was the reason I started One Outs. And by the sounds of that description, I'll totally enjoy it all the way through. I did start to watch it again, but then realised I couldn't remember much and would need to start it from the beginning - so once I clear some of my "currently watching" shows up, I'll be sure to raise the position of One Outs.

Have you seen Akagi?

I gave it a chance after finishing Kaiji the other day; watching the first few episodes. Even after sitting through the start, I had no clue how mahjong is played. Baseball was easy enough to pick up as I watched Touch (and, later, One Outs), but it seemed like mahjong requires some serious Wikiing. And, being a lazy person, that seemed like a bit too much effort. I'll probably give it another chance at a later date, though - I liked Kaiji too much not to.

Kaiji had more appeal because of the focus not just being on one form of gambling, and the rules being as new to the main character as the reader/viewer. It refreshed itself when it started to get dull. But Akagi is a title you need to be into mahjong to get a lot out of. That's a big difference.

By the way, you'll like Liar Game (manga) since you liked Kaiji. Its premise is practically identical: there's an organization that uses those in debt in psychological battles against his other; the risk being going further in debt and the reward being moving out of the red. Just like with Kaiji, there are various games that make up the story arcs.

I'll check it out. :)

I haven't seen Akagi but I can't imagine it being wildly dissimilar in terms of "learning as you watch" compared to Hikaru no Go. Go is a game I would not be able to play in the slightest if I sat down, however, once the anime kicked in, the adrenaline of the situation and whatever's at stake seemed to outweigh whatever confusion I was having, technically. The character was indeed new to the game at the beginning, but that doesn't mean it was explained in an easy fashion - background commentators and everything else help with that, ever so slightly. I'll need to check it out for myself, I think. One of my mates enjoyed it without any prior mahjong knowledge, so I figured it'd be easy enough to kick back and watch; I guess not.

Who knows; maybe I'm dumb for not comprehending what was shown. This mate of yours may very well be a superior lifeform. But the basics of the game weren't explained to the viewer, and I got a headache from all the terms thrown around. Plus, the signs on the pieces used to play the game made no sense to my English-only brain.

On a random note: watch Gungrave after Berserk. It fits with this topic well; Gungrave being a true tale of broship and lacking female characters. It's the gangster version of Berserk, as well as anime's The Godfather.

That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
The One Outs toplessness puzzles me. It's clearly not a show for those better making s... ladies, and yet the opening seems to pander to the fairer sex by having the lead show off his ladyboy curves. He's never nekid in the series proper, and I don't even recall there being ONE female during the Death Note-esque psychological warfare.

Interesting, perhaps it's a psychological warfare thing, since Light's shirtless in the OP of Death Note but never in the series.

But that sounds kinda interesting, I might check it out, though I'm still finishing Rainbow atm.

That-Bastard-Bad-Guy-Aion said:
Rainbow was great when Bro was doing his Kamina thing and there was an evil warden screaming "Sakuragiiiii!!!!!!" - far less great after that. It lost its sense of purpose completely once episodic 'closing off' stories took center stage. Rainbow minus Bro is a lot like TTGL minus Kamina...

That's the whole point though, Sakuragi and Kamina were plot device characters used to teach and inspire their younger comrades to become true men. I thought it wouldn't be as good once they lost Sakuragi but there was generally less angst and more drama, it was a good coming of age series. I also dislike when people complain about Kamina dying, it's really boring.

One thing to bear in mind about Akagi is that the manga ran in a magazine aimed at mahjong players, where as Kaiji and Hikaru no Go are from more general seinen and shonen magazines respectively.

I've only seen the first half of the Akagi anime so far and I did enjoy it, but the scenes which stick in my mind the most were the ones that took place away from the gaming table, and there aren't an awful lot of those. I think the series does a remarkable job of making what could be a very dull show about some blokes in a room playing a board game seem tense and exciting, even when you don't understand the rules of mahjong, but it's never going to be as accessible or as outlandish as Kaiji.

tl;dr - Kaiji needs a second season.

Lupus said:
That's the whole point though, Sakuragi and Kamina were plot device characters used to teach and inspire their younger comrades to become true men. I thought it wouldn't be as good once they lost Sakuragi but there was generally less angst and more drama, it was a good coming of age series. I also dislike when people complain about Kamina dying, it's really boring.

I understood that Sakuragi's character was intended to provide the impetus for his followers to push on and defeat all that stood in their way. Mario becoming Bro-lite was evidence enough of the author's intention... if the obvious required evidence.

The thing is, the short stories kind of sucked. Mario falling for Bro's woman (predictably due to his Bro-lite transformation) and then letting her get married was a touch pointless; as was his relationship with some American fella called Jeffery. Joe being happy to wait whilst, for all he knew, his sister was being given the Austrian treatment by her 'father' and her somehow appearing before him as a happy, not mentally destroyed bunny was retarded. And as for Cabbage becoming a sumo wrestler, seriously...

...basically, I had a 'game over' feeling once the prison drama was done and dusted. And, annoyingly, the most manly man - Soldier - didn't even get a sodding back-story, or any closure. Without there even being a villain to hate after the evil prison warden lost his teeth, it all just felt so... worthless.

Also, I forgot to add this: Fabio and Maes need to post in this thread, more than anyone else. Both seem to exclusively hunt for school girls, and it's creeping me out. A session or two with Rainbow/Bro's manly speeches would straighten 'em out, I reckon...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qorT7snIpUI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qorT7snIpUI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Maxon said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Maxon said:
These guys aren't kawaii enough.

I dunno there was something incredibly camp about the second one. Frequently shirtless (without a manly physique) and unbuttoned jeans... I'm not sure what I should draw from this post
FABULOUS != Kawaii

I assume you meant =/= and yeah I know, but I wasn't sure where else to fit my comment in and I didn't want it standing on its own, it might get lonely. =P

Back