Buying R1 Anime DVD'S from Amazon marketplace.......

Ninja Boy!

Thousand Master
i just wanted to know how many of you have shopped for R1 Anime DVD's using the marketplace sellers on amazon.co.uk and was satisfied?
also has anyone actually bought any boxsets/starter sets or the likes from any of them?
i ask this because there are a few boxsets/starter sets i am interested in getting however i would like to know how it turned out for some of you guys here because i dont want to pay any extra customs or anything due to the size or weight....
i have only purchased single dvd's with no problems but nothing 'heavy'
and oh, the only seller i have used so far is 'Caiman'

some of the prices are very tempting.... :)

I have bought some before (you will be responsible for customs though unless they mention they're a UK seller). Caiman are a good company and their discs have always been authentic for me. However, beware that a great deal of the others sell bootlegs and pretend they're R1 sets, either through ignorance or intentional desire to rip people off. So be very careful about reading their descriptions and judging for yourself!

Amazon Zshops are brilliant for tracking down the odd out of print title but the bootlegs are out there in force and if a deal seems too good to be true it often is :(

R

I've bought shed loads from Caiman and they're faultless - even with box sets. And hasn't the import duty charge thingy been increased from £18 recently?

harkins said:
I've bought shed loads from Caiman and they're faultless - even with box sets. And hasn't the import duty charge thingy been increased from £18 recently?

increased from £18?..so its higher? im not sure about these import charge rates..

also since you seemd to have ordered quite alot how is their packaging with box-sets and the likes?

harkins said:

No. It's still £18 and doesn't go up until the end of this year. If you go over you are charged 17.5% of the value for VAT and then £8 by royal mail, even if it is £18.01.

I try and get it from CDxers, there very reliable and there based in the UK so no suprise import duties, which can occasionally happen.

Also very quick delivery 8)

Ninja Boy! said:
harkins said:

increased from £18?..so its higher? im not sure about these import charge rates..

also since you seemd to have ordered quite alot how is their packaging with box-sets and the likes?
Nothing special, just bubble wrapped and in a reasonably sturdy cardboard box. I've only ever ordered a couple of box-sets though, due to the import duty thing. Usually get box-sets from UP1. But Caiman are reliable, cheap and pretty sharpish with their dispatches.

ayase said:
harkins said:

No. It's still £18 and doesn't go up until the end of this year. If you go over you are charged 17.5% of the value for VAT and then £8 by royal mail, even if it is £18.01.
Oh I see. I thought it had already happened as I keep ordering movies from Japan that cost over £20 a time. Not been hit with any charges yet, but they come by courier and not Royal Mail - but I wouldn't think that'd make any difference. And I ordered an audio CD that cost over fifty quid from a Amazon Japan marketplace seller. That escaped too. In fact I've only ever been charged once and that was the Elfen Lied artbox that came (I think) from CaimanUSA.

Having just looked at a thread that Dan created back in April, it's going up to £118 (approx) in December. That's fantastic!

Like others here, I've also bought quite a few things from Caiman. Their service is superb and nothing's ever gone wrong.

I've never been caught by customs, but that's only because I only buy singles and cheap sets from them. Up1 gets my cash for the more expensive things.

harkins said:
[Oh I see. I thought it had already happened as I keep ordering movies from Japan that cost over £20 a time. Not been hit with any charges yet, but they come by courier and not Royal Mail - but I wouldn't think that'd make any difference. And I ordered an audio CD that cost over fifty quid from a Amazon Japan marketplace seller. That escaped too. In fact I've only ever been charged once and that was the Elfen Lied artbox that came (I think) from CaimanUSA.

CDs often escape because of their small size. Anything DVD size or bigger usually doesn't. I was pretty lucky until the start of this year when i had four parcels in a row charged, so now I tend to make up large orders so they only get one Royal Mail charge (This won't work with Caiman though, as they dispatch each item seperately) or buy single items under £18.

ps. Which CD cost you £50? :eek:

ayase said:
ps. Which CD cost you £50? :eek:
It was the soundtrack to the film 'All About Lily Chou Chou'. It's out of print so I had to get it from a marketplace seller and although there were some cheaper used copies, their sellers wouldn't ship overseas. It cost £50.97p inc p&p. It's very good though. So's the film, although it's very very bleak.

ayase said:
or buy single items under £18.

Remember the value used by customs is the item value + the shipping cost.

So buying items just under £18 can still result in a charge as the shipping costs will put it over the limit.

Caiman are generally the seller I mostly buy from as they usually have the anime I'am looking for.However there are several others I have used ,such as dvdlegacy uk, supermoviedeals usa and inportcds all are reliable and sell the genuine article.As for the inport duties ,I live in Ireland and all the dvd's (singles & boxsets) that I've ordered have been under 30 euro's roughly £24 and I've never been charged duties.

I have used Caiman and a few of the Playtrade sellers and few other Amazon market place people. I have always had pretty good service but I only tend to use them if I can't buy direct from where I normally buy in the US. Though they do tend to be very useful for one off things and maybe older bits and pieces I can't find else where.

As for the import duty threshold increase is it definitely happening in December.

I mostly use Caiman and up1 for my region 1 dvd needs. They serve me really well, have good prices and service. I did bought a few odd region straight from amazon as well.

Back