Btooom! Good, bad or indifferent?

This show sounds a bit like SAO crossed with Battle Royale & has attracted some rather mixed views, especially over some of its content, though it gets some praise for character development.

So was just wondering is it worth picking up?

I've seen the show and I do recommend BTOOOM!, the show is available on Crunchyroll if you want to try out the episodes subbed (the Sentai release is Dual Audio) before you make your final decision.

The show does take its inspiration to the likes of Battle Royale in comparison to SAO, and does a good job at making each of the 12 episodes enjoyable with plenty of action and interesting character and plot development. The show ends on a good note for more material as it's based on the manga which has three volumes released in English already. Like every anime these days there are some fanservice elements placed in certain points but it's not as bad as H.O.T.D. with the plot only used as a major plot element in Episode 2 and used on scene near the end of the series from what I remember. No nipples or ass are exposed, nor sex.

I gave the show a good 8-9/10 on MAL and others have given them at least an 8. It's one of the best but not well known shows of 2012.

I'm definitely a fan of Btooom. It knows what it is and that's pure pulpy exploitation. It's always entertaining to watch, and the main character does actually develop throughout which is good to see. The series definitely does not skimp on the violence and some scenes can be uncomfortable to watch (episode 2 in particular), but it does suit the show's tone.

Thanks all.

I have seen a number of people criticising the lead female character as just being there as 'rapebait' at least as far as the initial episodes are concerned which doesn't particularly pleasant & is somewhat off putting of the show as a whole.

robot monkey said:
Thanks all.

I have seen a number of people criticising the lead female character as just being there as 'rapebait' at least as far as the initial episodes are concerned which doesn't particularly pleasant & is somewhat off putting of the show as a whole.

It's true the female character does get a bit paranoid but it's based on what happened in the first few episodes so it's a bit realistic in a way from her point of view. She does get better development later on.

NormanicGrav said:
robot monkey said:
Thanks all.

It's true the female character does get a bit paranoid but it's based on what happened in the first few episodes so it's a bit realistic in a way from her point of view. She does get better development later on.

Thanks for that feedback.

I think the problem was that the writer seems to think that the only way to give character to a female character is to give her a tragic rape event. Or two or three. And the Director seems to think the only way to get viewers is to have her naked in the OP a few times for no good reason.

Then there was the fact that the main character seems surprisingly resilient to being blown up multiple times...

Ath said:
I dunno, I think the sexual violence will be enough to push it into 18.

You mean the scene in one of the flashback episodes, yeah I guess (if it were as bad as Mawaru Penguindrum then it's fine by me).

Depends how they feel on the day really.

I'd say its firmly a 15, particularly the was they are letting more and more in 15's

Back