British Dubbed Animes?

asaza

Hikikomori
THIS ONLY just popped into my head just now... have we british ever dubbed any animes rather than us relying on the americans and canadians doing it before us? and should us british people be given the chance to do so?

The nearest thing I've heard is the Hellsing dub, but those were just Americans doing horrible English accents. At least Crispin Freeman was saved from embarassment.

In regard to Brits actually doing it, I don't see why not. However, the UK has a very limted number of talented voice actors and unless the American production companies set up a base here, there's little chance of corporate backing.

do u know what anime i think would benifit from a british dub cast?

That anime of Agatha Christie's Marple and Proiot, that would just mix so perfectly, hopefully with David suchet and who ever play the nower days miss marple as the british cast. :lol:

I dunno about anime but I do know that we do dub foreign films sometimes. The dubs for Jackie Chan's Miracles and The Grude both have British dubs if I remember correctly.

Manga UK still occasionally dub anime they release. Recent examples include commissioning the dubs for Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (though using the same American voice actors from SAC) and Millennium Actress (this was actually dubbed in the UK, not sure if it contains British actors though).

Vaguely related - Dragon Quest VIII was dubbed by an all-British cast. Even the American accented people. So we got bad American accents for a change!

Cat Girl Nuku Nuku and KO Century Beast Warriors - Beast Warriors was dubbed into English by the UK magazine Anime FX / Anime UK, lead by Helen Mcarthy. Apparently she roped her friends into doing the voices :)

It would depend if the British accent fits then anime. I mean atleast the American accent is to an extent standardised in the form it's harder to tell what part of America they are from. But i honestly can't see someone from Bolton or Aberdeen doing an anime dub.

I know we have done some dubs to foriegn films, such as Taxi. But honest to god i watched 5 minutes of it and switched back to french and subtitles. It just didin't fit and sounded horrible.

The Hellsing dub was terrible, so bad that I had to goto the subs and I always use the dubs (Im lazy :D)

Plus can you imagine a scouse accent for.. say... Edward Elric or Spike. heh.

Xelis said:
Plus can you imagine a scouse accent for.. say... Edward Elric or Spike. heh.
If it was to be Edward Elric his new code name would be Full Metal Alchy. >__>

The day a British dubs come into play, is the day I sign up to become a [crappy] Voice Actor.

Didn't the BBC do a dub of Urusei Yatsura (or a similar, old-school anime) many, many years ago? I remember hearing of it but never actually seeing it.

McIcy said:
Steam Boy and the voices really didn't fit I prefer subbed but my local blockbusters only had the subbed version

I almost cried at the Steamboy dub, while shouting 'How could they do this!?' :lol:

Gawyn said:
Didn't the BBC do a dub of Urusei Yatsura (or a similar, old-school anime) many, many years ago? I remember hearing of it but never actually seeing it.
Yeah they did. It was shown on BBC Choice (BBC3) on digital way before Freeview ever existed so I never saw it either. Think it was only about 4 episodes and they called it 'Lum the Invader Girl' or something along those lines.

Most of Manga's dubs in the 1990s were made in Britain, they just used American actors.

Other shows I can think of with British accents are Fire Tripper, Laughing Target and Doomed Megalopolis (UK VHS only as the US releae has a different dub).

Maybe Devilman, Maris the Wondergirl and Dominion Tank Police as well but I'm not very good at indentifying accents (even my own!) so I could be mistaken...

Some of the British dubs are crap, but I think that FMA would be great if they had British accents. Alot of people don't think so, but Risembool and everything around them seems so... English, I thought it was a slight shame when the American actors and actresses dubbed it. And I'm not talking about all kind of 'posh' british accents when they sit and drink tea, I'm talking about real British accents. :)
I really am not giving any hate towards the american voice actors though - I'm just saying that I think FMA would have suited Brits this time around. Anyone agree with me?

Mr B said:
Cat Girl Nuku Nuku and KO Century Beast Warriors - Beast Warriors was dubbed into English by the UK magazine Anime FX / Anime UK, lead by Helen Mcarthy. Apparently she roped her friends into doing the voices :)

No it wasn't Anime FX/Anime UK, it was a company called Crusader Video, Helen McCarthy was involved with the voice-overs, but little else, I believe.

They rather foolishly decided to do Brit dubbed Anime for a British audience, it was only after they'd dubbed K.O Century Beast Warriors (not even all of it, I don't believe they ever finished releasing the whole series (which I now own on DVD) did they realise how expensive dubbing an entire series is (especially with the BBFCs exorbitant charges!!).

It was a bold move, but in the end they folded. Very little British anime still exists today, I still had the original KO Century Beast Warriors VHS cassette at home until recently...

It seems that it is more cost effective for us to let the yanks do all the hard work, and then we foot the bill for re-packaging and re-classifying the DVDs.

You won't find ANY anime DVDs with proper British dialogue on... If you do I'll eat your trousers...

Back