British anime heroes & heroines

cercia

School Idol
For this site I thought I'd make a Top 5 British Heroes/Heroines in anime, what's yours? A lot of characters in anime are Japanese and/or of uncertain birth with convenient UK seiyuu, but not actually British. Obviously these types don't count, they have to be properly designed British/UK charas. If u want, the list can include Scots, Welsh, northern etc. but nothing Japanese. Anyway mine are:

ANGELA CHARON BROOKS (Somedays Dreamers)
kadr03.jpg

ALEXANDER ANDERSON (Hellsing)
anderson.jpg

ENGLAND (Hetalia Wars)
91156m.jpg

JOKER (Read or Die)
_joker.jpg

JUDEAU (Berserk), actually I have no idea if he's English...
Judeau3.jpg

Possibly... I've checked the Wikia and there's no mention of the origin of either April or July. It'd be cool if April was British, as she's not the typical blonde/blue eyed character that most Brits in anime seem to be.

Hmmm...the only British anime character I can recall of any noteworthy-ness would be Negi Springfield. As for being British, his American Voice actor just kills it for me...lol.

Speaking of British chars though, Funimation are announcing (with a clip) Hetalia's England voice actor today....should be....interesting.

Professor Irony said:
Never having seen the show, I can't help wondering - why does Hetalia England have a unicorn?

I've seen the first episode, and it seems like a playful take on national stereotypes and symbols - the unicorn is on the royal coat of arms along with a "lion rampant".

On topic, can't think of any other British characters asides from those already mentioned.

How about the anime Emma - A Victorian Romance. It is set in Victorian era England so most of the cast is English. Here are the two leads William Jones & Emma.

I just recently saw the episodes of Darker Than Black where November 11 appears. It seemed pretty heavily implied to me that he was British.

Can Arthur Trine from Gundam SQUEED Destiny get a shout? His buffonery has kept me amused all the way through the series.

I love it that the senior bridge staff of the Minerva are named Arthur and Gladys! :)

death-note-28.jpg

Near is British, I think. I'm more sure about him being British than I am Mello, anyway. There isn't anything to suggest either are anything but, and they both lived in Winchester.

Professor Irony said:
Never having seen the show, I can't help wondering - why does Hetalia England have a unicorn?

All of the characters in Hetalia are their respective countries personified. It's a running joke that England is always surrounded by imaginary friends, who happen to be creatures from various British legends and traditions. I suppose we do tend to be rather fixated on our past and do have a rich imagination in terms of whimsical creatures, so it's fair enough.

Since it's on topic, I feel the need to direct people to England's most popular image song from Hetalia, which is wonderful :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xckz1e ... shortfilms

R

his accent to me passed off as being more Irish in my ears, that or i haven't heard his voice properly for a long time

but either way, he isn't British

United Kingdom = England Wales Scotland, Northern Ireland

Great Britain = England Wales Scotland

Throw in Gibraltar, The Falklands, Diego Garcia, and we have the British Empire.

We first meet Anderson in Hellsing Ultimate when they're all assigned to that mission in Northern Ireland, which may be where confusion occurs.

And as for UK dub actors doing UK accents for US dub studios, they have to generic the accent so that US audiences can understand it without subtitles.

Remember the US is the country that had to show Trainspotting with subtitles. Hellsing Ultimate's dub is Ok for the most part. But seriously, what the smeg is Seras's accent? No, what is it, really? Anyone?

Back