Brian K. Vaughan To Write Live-Action Gundam Film At Legendary Pictures

Do I attempt to explain my feelings about this, or do I just post a knee-jerk reaction gif?
7LMHQ2D.gif

I don't really have anything against Vaughan in particular, though I was nowhere near as smitten with Saga as a lot of people seem to be. And while not necessarily his fault, I do find it a little obnoxious how people seem to fete him as the saviour of western comics when plenty of equally good if not better stuff comes out of small and European publishers on a regular basis, just nobody reads it.

I think my main issue is how deeply Gundam's underlying themes are connected to the Japanese post-war experience that Tomino and his contemporaries lived through - Even when younger directors take on the series, part of Gundam's soul is forever in the zeitgeist of 1979 Japan and adapting it for western general audiences 40 years later... I dunno, it just can't be the same, it won't be the same without that thread running back and without the audience familiarity.
It is currently unclear whether the film will adapt an existing story in the Mobile Suit Gundam pantheon, or be an original story.
While I'm not really interested either way, I'd prefer the latter. I don't want to see some Hollywood pretty boys playing Char and Amuro.

Hugo in live action Alita is bad enough, geez. Though I was genuinely all set to actually give a live action anime adaptation a chance for once, then I saw uncanny Rosa Salazar "smile" in the trailer and just NOPED out.

Last edited:
Back