BRAID

Tachi

Mushi-shi
Hi,

now i know that me and Muts have played and completed the main "story" of this game, but i'm wondering if anyone else has yet to play this excellent platform puzzler with a unique twist to it.

The game itself is reletively simple in concept, but the logic to complete some of the puzzles in it can really push you sometimes, having patience and a degree of luck (especially when you have to let 2 hedgehog like things pass 3 mario pot plant esque creatures, having to rewind time to do so had me frustrated for a solid 30 mins)

The story of Braid is, complex. To the casual gamer who plays the game for what it is, you'll believe its a game about a hero chasing from castle to castle to find his princess. When you reach the epilogue, i'd say about 80% of the story unfolds. For the most part you'll read books that tell you a rough storyline on whats happening (leading you down the path of the hero - princess scenario) However, this game lies to you from the off. And you don't understand to what extent until you learn the final story. In a way it highlights that not everything you're given should be taken at face value.

I mentioned that the above is for the casual gamer... there is alot more to it when you learn a few key things... If you open a red book, but then make the character hide behind scenery (so he's invisible to your screen) the true story unfolds, the majority of the messages you see from creatures you believe are merely saying "the princess is in another castle" are shown their true meanings when the character isn't onscreen. The reason? Is it too much to believe the character is hiding things from himself? that the truth can only be shown when this mental block isn't in place? when he's not onscreen to contort the truth? I'm not going to spoil the endings or anything, but in this alternate view on the game, the secret view, it refers heavily to the manhattan and atom bomb projects.

More than just a game, its a phillisophical and thought provoking game with deeply hidden meanings and if like me, will have you sat thinking about it long after you've turned the console off.

Its currently £2 on the PS Store, i'd say its well worth giving it another show Hawthorn, To a degree its just a simple platformer, but it pushes you to think alot more than you'd expect from a platformer.

A real mind F*** by the end though.

I've played bits of it, but I've also seen the ending on YT, it's a pretty good twist, but I doubt I would actually complete the game myself, seeing as pure puzzle games aren't exactly my thing, well except for Portal

Fair enough, the rewinding motion reminds me very much of the ps2 prince of persia.

Very clever how they've made the game and what you need to do to get certain things. (for instance, sometimes you have to control time over something offscreen for it to get to where you need it to be.

Ah, Braid. Finished it a couple of years ago. Got so addicted I did a world a night and couldn't think of anything other than floating puzzle pieces.

Really loved the final level.

Getting all the stars was maddening.

Back