Blu Ray region question

butch-cassidy

Straw Hat Pirate
Hi guys,

I've hit a bit of a confusing situation and hope some of you might be able to help me. I've been looking at expanding my blu ray collection and came across some nice Madmen releases. When I was checking if they were region locked I discovered they are marked as region B, which means that even if they are locked they will work here as we too are region B.

The problem I have is I remember there being a lot of furore when Madmen and Funimation both announced they were region locking FMA Brotherhood 3 when Manga said they were stopping the blu rays at 2. I'm a tad confused because if the Azzies are indeed region B that we could still use them here... is there something I am missing here?

Madman merely announced that FMA:B was going to be region locked to Region B.

The issue many people took with it was due to the fact that the US release was far cheaper and much easier to order online.

butch-cassidy said:
Hi guys,

I've hit a bit of a confusing situation and hope some of you might be able to help me. I've been looking at expanding my blu ray collection and came across some nice Madmen releases. When I was checking if they were region locked I discovered they are marked as region B, which means that even if they are locked they will work here as we too are region B.

The problem I have is I remember there being a lot of furore when Madmen and Funimation both announced they were region locking FMA Brotherhood 3 when Manga said they were stopping the blu rays at 2. I'm a tad confused because if the Azzies are indeed region B that we could still use them here... is there something I am missing here?
buray regions:
A- America (north and south), Japan
C-China
B -everywhere else.

As bluiray region lock isn't broken yet, you need a region A player. Next to nothing comes out outside th US and Japan, for English releases.

Taken from Wikipedia,

Region A includes most North, Central and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus the Republic of China (Taiwan), Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Korea.
Region B includes most European, African and southwest Asian countries plus Australia and New Zealand.
Region C contains the remaining central and south Asian countries, as well as the People's Republic of China and Russia.

Reaper gI said:
butch-cassidy said:
Hi guys,

buray regions:
A- America (north and south), Japan
C-China
B -everywhere else.

As bluiray region lock isn't broken yet, you need a region A player. Next to nothing comes out outside th US and Japan, for English releases.
Not exactly..
Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

Region Free Blu-Ray players should be available. Or try AVForums for a hack or something.

someone here (godot i think) linked to a very nice region free one from tesco for only £50 odd quid

and i can tell you first hand it works wonders

ilmaestro said:
Reaper gI said:
As bluray region lock isn't broken yet
If the region coding hadn't been broken, why have they had to come up with newer versions of it?
It's doable with mod chips on some players. Bypassing the check, I assume.
No software solution yet, besides ripping and bruteforce decoding the disk.

Full BD Live spec needs internet connetcion, which means they can do evil EA style DRM, or just be able to lock disks based on your IP.

You didn't answer my question.

I would also question the practical relevance of the distinction between "removing region coding" and "changing region of player on the fly" or "bypassing the region check", which is far easier and produces the same effect.

mangaman74 said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNIKA-BRSS10-MULTI-ALL-REGION-BLU-RAY-DVD-PLAYER-/150592553932?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders

Technika BRSS10 Blu-Ray Player has sold out at Tesco Direct. There seems to be a copy on ebay at the moment for just over £80.

The link at Tesco is here,

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-6218.aspx

on tesco it's say it has been discontinued? does that mean they won't restock on it? =(

Reaper gI said:
AnyDVD HD manages OK, no ripping involved and my computer doesn't do bruteforce anything. I don't actually have any region locked BDs but it does strip out content protection etc so I can take screenshots.

link2link8 said:
mangaman74 said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNIKA-BRSS10-MULTI-ALL-REGION-BLU-RAY-DVD-PLAYER-/150592553932?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders

Technika BRSS10 Blu-Ray Player has sold out at Tesco Direct. There seems to be a copy on ebay at the moment for just over £80.

The link at Tesco is here,

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-6218.aspx

on tesco it's say it has been discontinued? does that mean they won't restock on it? =(

Yeah I would say so, I would still try your local Tesco. You never know, the stores may still have some in stock.

Shiroi Hane said:
Reaper gI said:
AnyDVD HD manages OK, no ripping involved and my computer doesn't do bruteforce anything. I don't actually have any region locked BDs but it does strip out content protection etc so I can take screenshots.

It works on region locked BDs. I use my media PC as an region A player cos it was cheaper than another dedicated player. PowerDVD 10 and a util called DVDfab work for playing.

I'm assuming you chaps pay for AnyDVD HD? Are there no free alternatives for stripping region protection from BDs? I'm thinking of getting a laptop with a BD drive and hooking it up to my TV (seeing as I need a laptop anyway, I thought I might explore this avenue rather than buying a multi-region player as well).

AnyDVD HD was the best/only option at the time and since I got a lifetime subscription (while they were still available) I've never had to look for alternatives, sorry.
I don't actually have any region locked discs mind, but it is helpful if I want to take screenshots or rip a clean OP/ED to put on my PSP.

Back