Black Cat

JAKEMAN

Stand User
This has just come into Funimation's grasp and I must say from what I have seen from it, it is very good. It has a good mix of action and comedy, sorta what Nadesico was like.

Memorable characters, good fight scenes and a catchy opening and ending, (Good one for all you catgirl and boy fans for the ending animation)

So I defiently recomend this series.

Seen the whole series and its one of my fave's. Train Heartnet is a classic anti-stylised hero, but I love the characters that turn up later in the series, especially the girl who falls in love with Train.

Eve is brilliant as a dark character but in one ep. she gets to let loose as Trains 'older' sister.

The end of the series is good too as although it finishes this story there is hope left over for a 2nd series.

I’m thinking of getting this as you’re all sounding very positive about it.

I read that the lead character, Sven, is something of a Spike Spiegel inspired individual. Is that at all true?

Ryo Chan said:
halfway through black cat (and buying the DVD's too) and i have to agree

Eve and train are just a great characters :D
And you seem to have an imense phobia towards Creed... :D The pinicle of evil bishy-ness.

But yeah, this show rocks. All hail the breadcrust waiteress!!!

harkins said:
I’m thinking of getting this as you’re all sounding very positive about it.

I read that the lead character, Sven, is something of a Spike Spiegel inspired individual. Is that at all true?

Kinda like him, he is really laid back and tries to get all his food on credit (usually just gets given bread crusts). I love his special ability and also his briefcase as you never know what it will do next

Only seen 6 episodes and thought it was below average. Sorry...

The old cliche, the manga is much better. I'll probably eventually get around to seeing the whole series though.

A studio which doesn't blow the budget on animation needs to do the real story... though I still liked the animation of Black Cat for all Gonzo is worth. >_>

I really like the black cat anime, but i do have to agree the manga is better. I dont know why they changed as much as they did? I think sven and trains partnership works better in the manga and adds some really funny situations!

There's also the fact that the manga is huge, 20 volumes long, and they've only made 23 episodes. They've changed loads of stuff, and rushed the ending. A shame, as if it followed the manga closely you'd be looking at at least 50-100 episodes.

If they can fit a Bleach volume into two episodes with filler content, I think they can handle Black Cat in around 25-30 episodes no problem. >_>

Still don't think its a good idea to shoehorn 20 volumes worth of stuff into 23 episodes. Obviously there's loads and loads of stuff they've missed out or changed. Black Cat was actually scheduled for 52 episodes at first, but I'm guessing they ran out of budget or television ratings if they had to rush to end it at 23 eps. No matter how good you are at chopping and changing stuff, its going to be to the detriment of the story if you had to cut the series by half.

Bleach had reached over 60 episodes before it got to the end of th SS arc, and that was around volume 21 of the manga, so my initial projection was off. Maybe not up to 100 eps, but Black Cat could easliy have been the 50-60-70 depeding on filler etc. or with similar pacing to Bleach.

But I'm just basing this on the first 6 episodes and other reviews I've read.

Watched the first 4 episodes of this now and so far so good. I suppose I have an advantage in never having read the manga and therefore I’m not missing the bits they’ve left out.

Train is possibly the least interesting lead I’ve ever seen in the first volume of a series but I’m sure there’s much more to come from him. However, Sven is probably one of the most interesting and likeable characters I’ve seen. It looks set to develop into really good series.

Train Heartnet is the most generic character in any Shounen series I have ever read, he's really bland and all "I used to kill now, I see life in a new direction. ^_^" and Sven is the moody guy who has a heart of gold. Eve's better than them both, she's probably developed the most while them two stay the same.

Lupus Inu said:
Train Heartnet is the most generic character in any Shounen series I have ever read, he's really bland and all "I used to kill now, I see life in a new direction. ^_^" and Sven is the moody guy who has a heart of gold. Eve's better than them both, she's probably developed the most while them two stay the same.

Yeah but later on she becomes the generic key to the end of the world.

Besides I love the generic they are well established which means they can cut back on the histories and setting the characters up and get on with the anime story itself

Last edited by a moderator:
Back