Big Pokèmon announcement now international

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
It's been the latest buzz around the gaming circuit that a big Pokèmon announcement is coming on 8th January. Now, the US Facebook page for Pokèmon has updated that the announcement is now international.

This is big. I've been saying that Gen VI on the 3DS will happen in 2013 since 2011. Could it finally be happening?

I hope so.

I just hope it's not this Gen III remake people are obsessed with going on about (which seems to have resurfaced with this announcement of an announcement). I loved those games, but there's no real benefit for the player. FR/LG made sense because it was the only way to get most of those Pokémon on the GBA. Ditto HG/SS with the DS. But all the Pokémon from R/S/E are available on existing DS games...I don't see the point, really.

It won't be RS remakes. This is what I said about it on ANN:

f Ruby/Sapphire remakes are to happen at all, they will be during 2015 at the earliest. Simple matter of fact is, Generation V is over. Genesect was revealed and distributed in Japan last August, with an international release in October and it's also going to be distributed again in Japan in January. So are we really supposed to believe that Genesect is the main thing about the "ExtremeSpeed Genesect" movie? Of course it isn't!

Then we have the extremely accelerated release of Mythical Pokémon we saw in 2012 compared to the really slow way Generation V started with Victini being revealed in 2010, yet being the only Mythical star of 2011's movie. I imagine that when GameFreak were planning this generation, they did intend for it to be 4 years long (after all, they made four Mythical Pokémon). However, when you read the Iwata Asks about Black 2/White 2, it was subtle but also clear that Satoru Iwata was not happy that GameFreak were staying with the DS for Black 2/White 2. So I imagine he was very firm with them that that would be their last DS game. That means any plan for a game between B2W2 and Gen VI had to be scrapped (as GameFreak save new consoles for new generations).

Then there's the fact that The Pokémon Company were one of the first companies to receive a 3DS development kit, back in February 2010. GameFreak have also recently released "Rhythm Hunter HarmoKnight" as an eShop title in Japan, so they are obviously playing around with the 3DS.

Then, we have Junichi Masuda's comments about the franchise "evolving" in 2013. Now, how would the franchise "evolve" by going back and remaking an old game? It wouldn't.

And look at the anime. The Unova league is finished. What will it do after N episode if we don't have a new region to explore? Go back to Hoenn? Why?

Now, why am I specific when I say 2015? Well, there is usually an extra year between a primary pair and the next games in a generation (Gold/Silver-Crystal were an exception as there was only a year gap:
Red/Blue (1996) -> Yellow (1998)
Ruby/Sapphire (2002) - FR/LG (2004)
Diamond/Pearl (2006) - Platinum (2008)
Black/White (2010) - Black 2/White 2 (2012).

But, the next game could always be a third version right? Well, it might be, but it might not. After all, third versions (and sequels - thanks B2W2) have been going on a four year cycle since Crystal:
Crystal (2000) - Emerald (2004) - Platinum (2008) - Black 2/White 2 (2012).
If you wanted to be picky, you could count the minor revision of the Japanese Blue as a third version and that would fit this too, but that would mean the above example wouldn't count unless you considered RGB a trio (which to be fair, they are essentially the same games).

So that makes me think:
2012: Black 2/White 2
2013: Gen VI Primary Pair
2015: RS Remakes (If we receive them at all).
2016: Gen VI Third Version/Sequel/WhateverGFThrowAtUs

I think it would also be a bad business move to rely on nostalgia and remakes anyway.

Also, there is the fact that Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias and Latios are available in Black 2/White 2. Groudon and Kyogre were given out in Japan last year to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Ruby/Sapphire, Rayquaza was given out last year for Pokémon Conquest's release (and the trio were already in HGSS) and Deoxys was given out in Japan last month. Only one left is Jirachi, which will probably be given out in the summer for Tanabata, which is an annual tradition in Japan.

This might be an early leak...

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/07/pokemon-rainbow-for-nintendo-3ds-and-pokemon-wii-u-application-being-revealed-tomorrow/

Odd name, if so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Max Takeshi said:
This might be an early leak...

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/07/pokemon-rainbow-for-nintendo-3ds-and-pokemon-wii-u-application-being-revealed-tomorrow/

Odd name, if so.

Well rainbow does sound better than grey.

Last edited by a moderator:
This....
Looks...
Absolutely...
Fecking...
Amazing...

Also, WORLDWIDE OCTOBER 2013 RELEASE. First time for the franchise!

Joshawott said:
This....
Looks...
Absolutely...
Fecking...
Amazing...

Also, WORLDWIDE OCTOBER 2013 RELEASE. First time for the franchise!
Eh, I disagree. IMO it looks awful :/
They should have stuck to a top down 2/2.5D World.
If it was like Colosseum or XD I wouldn't have minded, but this... eugh.
It looks like the Yugioh DS games, and that isn't really a compliment.

Here's a comparison between it and B2W2:
Black 2/White 2:
hqdefault.jpg

X/Y:
img_thumbnail_2.png

I know which one I prefer. They did note though that the trailer might not be representative of the final graphics. So they'll probably look smoother.

Joshawott said:
Here's a comparison between it and B2W2:
Black 2/White 2:
hqdefault.jpg

X/Y:
img_thumbnail_2.png

I know which one I prefer. They did note though that the trailer might not be representative of the final graphics. So they'll probably look smoother.
I've been waiting for a full 3D pokemon since i finished sapphire moreso because i got bored with the same thing with only minor improvements over and over again. Looks like i'll have to get my hands on a 3DS sometime soon.

FourthLion said:
Max Takeshi said:
Pokemon X and Y for worldwide release October 2013.

So what's the enhanced remake a few years down the line going to be called? Pokemon Chromosome?

Surely Pokemon Z?

POkemon Z is probably where they'd go. I'm going with the idea that they have gone all maths with this, and decided to use X.Y and the inevitable Z at a later date. It's a good way to say "here is our step into the 3rd dimension".

It does look nice though, may take a little getting used to, but i can see it being pretty interesting. The starters don't look too bad either, though i'll probably stick to fire. I don't think i've wanted to go water since gold =/

Yeah, it's been strongly hinted that the names X and Y are referring to the X and Y points of a 3D axis (which also includes Z). As for the main legendaries, there have been suggestions of Norse Mythology.

I'll be choosing Froakie as my starter I think.

I thought the same thing about x, y and z being representative of the jump to 3d.

Fire starter (ear wormed myself) definitely looks the coolest again.

However, there's also the fact that there is a double helix on the Japanese logos, so it could instead be referring to Chromosomes.

tumblr_mgbij2Hh9Q1s0hjr6o1_500.png

You have been warned.

New games look awesome, not sure which version I will be getting, but I know I will be picking Froakie as my starter <3

I also better start saving for a 3DS first lol.

It could mean chromosomes for sure, but i like the idea of it being mathematical. It opens up a whole new side of math jokes for me to amuse myself with:

BAJArstCAAAPFi7_zpsc18047ba.jpg

Back