best mystery series available in the UK?

P.H.O.E.N.I.X.

Completely Average High School Student
I absolutely loved Eden Of The East, although it is a mash-up of mystery / sci-fi / social critique and not a "pure" mystery series.
Are there any other good / very good mystery series available in the UK? Thank you!

p.s. I already saw Count of Monte Cristo, Death Note, Monster. I'd buy Higurashi but it isn't available in the UK AFAIK.

Actually, I also have a secondary (a little bit unrelated...) question - how come SO MANY great anime shows just can't be bought in the UK? I tried to buy Mushi-shi, Haruhi Suzumiya, Denno Coil, Letter from Momo etc and they're nowhere to be found (unless as US imports, ofc)

Market size really, if it doesn't make financial sense then a company has no reason to do it, although if you mean A Letter to Momo, Anime Limited are releasing that over here at some point, kinda got sick of asking about it so dunno what the latest information is though.

I'd like to throw Ergo Proxy in as my suggestion, but it's not a show for everyone that's for sure.

Un-Go.

It does suffer a lot of due to being too crammed (should have been 26 episode series instead of 13 episode series) but it's still pretty good show despite of that. The beginning is rough though.

Baccano springs to mind (Blu-Ray out in a few months, DVD out years ago). Not quite a mystery but very much along the same lines as Eden of the East (at least in my opinion) is Steins;Gate. Both excellent.

Is GOSICK or Ghost Hound available here? I will just instantly assume that Hyouka and Mouryou no Hako aren't, but will mention them for recommendations sake anyway.

I'd probably give Durarara a shot too, if you liked the modern, cosmopolitan aesthetic of Eden of the East - likewise, perhaps something like Heaven's Memo Pad.

I saw msgeek's mention of Baccano! and somehow assumed DRRR!! had already been mentioned because of that - I definitely back up Lutga's recommendation there.

Gosick was on Crunchyroll but they took it down.

Haruhi Suzumiya was released here, although at least the first season has been tough to get for a while (the second season and film were also released but I'm not sure if they're still easy to get, I think you can also get the chibi special thing but I don't know much about it). Mushi-shi was also released at some point but it'd also take some effort to get. I don't think there's a version of Haruhi Suzumiya in the USA that's much easier to get (could be wrong) and I think the main reason Mushi-shi is still available is because it was re-released (while it only had the original release in the UK). We've got less companies and they're smaller so it's kind of inevitable that we'll have less available at any time.

I can't think of any mystery shows that haven't been mentioned at the moment, I'll have to think about it.

Some of the old Mushi Shi single volumes are available reasonably cheaply second hand on the likes of Amazon if you don't mind picking it up piecemeal.

But yeah, Season 1 of Haruhi is almost impossible to get in the UK these days - the prices it goes for when it does pop up are often pretty ridiculous, so the remaining second hand volumes/collected set must be pretty rare (I don't think it sold that well when it originally came out).

Depends on how you define a mystery series but if it's one that keeps you guessing then:

Serial Experiments Lain which was MVM and is out of print but can be picked up secondhand. Also my No1 series :)
noir which is no longer available, was part of the ADV UK catalogue, so can probably be picked up secondhand.
Possibly Madlax which is noir's 'younger sister' . More of an actioner than pure mystery and also part of the ADV UK catalogue.

Noir is amazing - plus, one of Yuki Kajiura's first soundtracks, so you can see what she did before going on to do Madoka, SAO etc. It looks really nice too, and is in widescreen, which is pretty rare considering it's about 15 years old now.

Another is a favourite of mine, even if it does tend towards the ridiculous at times (though probably no more so than Death Note and its book that kills people).

Not a series but Perfect Blue is a suspenseful psychological thriller and essential viewing.

I really enjoyed Another - probably one of the few genuinely scary anime I've seen, it's seriously creepy. Plus, gotta love that Ali Project OP theme.

Back