Best Anime of 2011

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
We know what the site staff think of the year just gone, thanks to that awesome front page article, but what stood out for you guys? I'm going to limit my post to TV shows that aired at least one cour in 2011, but I'm also interested to hear what people liked about DVD releases on either side of the pond.

I watched all or "enough" of 79 shows last year, and about 22 of them stood out to me for their overall quality (as well as a handful of others for more specific aspects), which is a pretty good chunk imo. Here we go with some categories (Runners up are in a “soft” order from fifth to second):

Best "genre" show

This feels like a bit of a cop-out for me to just name some shows that I really liked, but weren't quite the best of the year, but whatever. Some shows don't really try to be anything other than a great example of a well established genre, and I think that deserves to be recognized when it works.

Runners up: GOSICK, The World God Only Knows s.2, Tamayura ~hitotose~, Kimi ni Todoke s.2

Winner: Kyoukaisen-jou no Horizon

Best Comedy

Yes, I suppose this is like a slightly more specific version of the above category, but I thought this was a fairly strong year for funnies, so it gets its own spot.

Runners up: Mitsudomoe s.2, Level E, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

Winner: Working'!!

Best Animation

Ridiculously competitive, I dropped a couple of shows from my shortlist that could arguably have won.

Runners up: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Tiger & Bunny, Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam, Guilty Crown

Winner: Hanasaku Iroha

Best Writing

Generic category titles~. Any number of reasons why a show could be in here.

Runners up: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Hourou Musuko, Mawaru Penguindrum,

Winner: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai

Best Soundtrack

Runners up: Fate/Zero, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Guilty Crown

Winner: THE IDOLM@STER

Best Character Design

Runners up: Yumekui Merry, Mawaru Penguindrum, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai, Hanasaku Iroha

Winner: Guilty Crown

Best Cast (Characters)

Runners up: THE IDOLM@STER, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai, Hourou Musuko

Winner: Mawaru Penguindrum

Best Cast (Seiyuu)

Runners up: Kyoukaisen-jou no Horizon, Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai

Winner: Hanasaku Iroha

Best Male Character

Runners up: Kaburagi Kotetsu (Tiger & Bunny), Kawachi Daikichi (Usagi Drop), Matsuyuki Atsumu (Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai), Watase Sanetoshi (Mawaru Penguindrum)

Winner: Okabe Rintarou/Hououin Kyouma (Steins;Gate)

Best Female Character

Runners up: Kaname Madoka (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica), Hoshii Miki (THE IDOLM@STER), Anjou Naruko (Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai), Natsume Masako (Mawaru Penguindrum)

Winner: Akemi Homura (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)

Best Show Not Enough People Watched

Weird or niche to various degrees, or in the case of C³ probably just dropped by everyone after the horrible first episode:

Runners up: Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai!, Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai, Showa Monogatari, Hyouge Mono

Winner: C³: Cube×Cursed×Curious

Worst Show

This is basically a list of the shows I started watching, but dropped for some reason. One or two of them are maybe not that bad, but caught me at the wrong time.

Runners up: Nichijou, Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, Phi Brain, SofuTeni, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi, Hen Zemi, R-15

"Winner": Maken-ki!

Best Show

Runners up: Hanasaku Iroha, Chihayafuru, Steins;Gate, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica,

Winner: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai

While my staff picks are more focused towards the UK releases, I did watch alot of anime in the 2011 seasons, so i'm going to join in and post some of my best (and worst) of the year.

Best Comedy

If there was one anime genre that disappointed me this year, it would be this, I can only think of a few that I enjoyed but I do have a clear winner.

Runners up: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, Level-E, Katte ni Kaizō (OVA), Ben-To

Winner: Maria Holic Alive

Best Animation

While i expect anime shows to be mentions, i'm going to cheat here and put an anime film that came out in Japan in 2011.

Runners up: Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Ano Hana, Tiger & Bunny, No.6

Winner: Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion

Best Writing

A bit of a hard one here, alot of my favourite shows where very well written.

Runners up: Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Mawaru Penguindrum, Ano Hana

Winner: Steins;Gate

Best Soundtrack

This one might come as quite a surprise but my pick is unique to anime, it's a lot more expermential with a mixture of soft jazz and noise rock, mixed in with this anime and you have a winner.

Runners up: Madoka Magica, Nichijou, The Mystic Archives of Dantalian

Winner: Ben-To

Best Male Character

This is an easy pick, although i have to commend a lot of strong male characters this year.

Runners up: Kyubey (Madoka Magica), Shota Kazehaya (Kimi Ni Todoke S2), Kaburagi Kotetsu (Tiger & Bunny), Claude Claudel (Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth), Daikichi Kawachi (Usagi Drop)

Best Female Character

Again, another easy pick for me.

Runners up: Yune (Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth), Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Startos), Kurisu Makise (Steins;Gate), Rin Kaga (Usagi Drop), Sayaka Miki (Madoka Magica)

Winner: Akemi Homura (Madoka Magica)

While I watched all of maes nomination, I hated C³ but of course thats my opinion, while my pick has gotten some talk this year, I felt it was very underrated.

Runners up: Dororon Enma-kun, Lotte no Omocha!, Mashiroiro Symphony, The Mystic Archives of Dantalian

Winner: Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth

Most Overrated

While some anime I found very average to good this season, there seem to be shows that become popular for the wrong reasons.

Runners up: Infinite Stratos, YuruYuri, Softenni, No.6

Winner: Nichijou

Worst show

I've watched my far few of bad anime this year and 2011 was no exception.

Runners up: Infinite Stratos, Dragon Crisis!, Rio ~Rainbow Gate, Oniichan no Koto...blah, Battle Girls, Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai, Mayo Chiki, R-15, C³, Maken-Ki.

Loser: Aria the Scarlet Ammo - It should be Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai or Maken-Ki but I had the common decency to at least drop these, so i'm giving this to Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Aria the Scarlet Ammo has a horrible female lead character, awful plot progression and story, unnecessary fan-service and characters, cringe worthy character interaction and one of the worst antagonist reveals in anime.

Most disappointing

These are the series that didn't impress me from finish to end, these aren't horrible and some are good, however these didn't wow me neither.

Runners up: Nichijou, No.6, Star Driver, Fractale, Deadman Wonderland, Kamisama no Memochou

Winner: [C] – The Money of Soul and Possibility Control

Best Show

If you have read my blog or the staff picks of 2011, then you already know what my best of 2011 is, unless you want to see my runners-up are :D

Runners up: Ano Hana, Tiger & Bunny, Kimi ni Todoke S2, Fate/Zero, Usagi Drop, Steins;Gate

Winner: Madoka Magica

Here goes nothing
Best "genre" show
Gosick

Best Comedy
Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

Runners up: Carnival Phantasm, Hidan no Aria (to laugh at), Yuru Yuri

Best Animation
The IDOLM@STER

runner up: Hanasaku Iroha

Best Writing
Anohana

Best Soundtrack
The IDOLM@STER

runner up: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Best Character Design
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi
Gradient hair yey!

Best Cast (Characters)
Hourou Musuko

runner up: Mawaru Penguin Drum

Best Cast (Seiyuu)
Dog Days

Best Male Character
Okabe Rintarou (Steins;Gate)

runners up, Rider and Waver Velvet (Fate/Zero)

Best Female Character
Sakura Kyouko (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)

runners up: Maekawa-san and Touwa Meme (Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko)

The IDOLM@STER

Worst Show
Blood-C

Best Show
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Runner up: Mawaru Penguin Drum

Lawrence said:
Clearly you were watching Star Driver for the wrong reasons Reevo.

So I should just admire the visuals and ignore the repetitive nature of these episodes with Takuto winning every single fight, leading to no tension or excitement?

It has it's flaws and deeply affected my enjoyment of Star Driver, as said it's not the worst just disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished a grand total of 6 airing series in 2011, so my awards aren't exactly spread out. It's more of a favourites list for me than anything else...

Best "genre" show
Ika Musume s2 was the best in the genre of squid girls.

Best Comedy
Mitsudomoe Z was hilarious, shame it was only an 8-episode series.

Best Animation
I liked Fractale's visuals, almost Ghibli-esque at times.

Best Writing
The World God Only Knows s2 was decent.

Best Soundtrack
Mitsudomoe Z had some decent tunes. Honourable mention for Working!! which has very nice background music indeed.

Best Character Design
Mitsudomoe Z. You either love the character design or hate it, and I love it!

Best Cast (Characters)
Working!!.

Best Cast (Seiyuu)
I don't really care about voice actors, but I like the cast of Working!!.

Best Male Character
Satou Jun from Working!!

Best Female Character
Inami Mahiru from Working!! Haruna from Kore wa Zombie is a close second.

Worst Show
The Nana to Kaoru OVA was a horrific adaptation of the manga.

Best Show
Working!!

Best "genre" show

Runner up: Kaiji

Winner: Tiger & Bunny

Best Comedy

Runner up: Carnival Phantasm

Winner: Gintama'

Best Animation

Runner up: The iDOLM@STER

Winner: Fate/Zero

Best Writing

Runner up: Steins;Gate

Winner: Usagi Drop

Best Soundtrack

Runner up: The iDOLM@STER

Winner: The World God Only Knows II

Best Character Design

Runner up: Steins;Gate

Winner: Tiger & Bunny

Best Cast (Characters)

Runner up: Usagi Drop

Winner: Kimi ni Todoke

Best Cast (Seiyuu)

Runner up: The World God Only Knows II

Winner: Gintama'

Best Male Character

Runner up: Ryu Sanada (Kimi ni Todoke)

Best Female Character

Runner up: Kurisu Makise (Steins;Gate)

Winner: Ume "Kurumi" Kurumizawa (Kimi ni Todoke)

Runner up: Morita-san wa Mukuchi

Winner: Dororon Enma-kun

Worst Show

Runners up: Dragon Crisis, Hidari no Aria, Deadman Wonderland, C3, Mirai Nikki, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

"Winner": Freezing

Most Overrated Show

Runner up: Ano Hana

Winner: Madoka Magica

Best Show

Runner up: Usagi Drop, Tiger & Bunny

Winner: Steins;Gate

Best "genre" show:
The World God Only Knows II

Best Comedy:
Squid Girl Season 2

Best Animation:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Best Writing:
Steins;Gate

Best Soundtrack:

Best Character Design:
Tiger & Bunny

Best Cast (Characters):

Best Cast (Seiyuu):
Shakugan no Shana III -FINAL-

Best Male Character
Okabe Rintarou (Steins;Gate)

Best Female Character
Akemi Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)

Best Show Not Enough People Watched:
Usagi Drop (Too many people shied away due to the way the manga ended)

Runner-up: Morita-san wa Mukuchi

Worst Show:
Dragon Crisis! (Why did I watch this all the way through again?)

Best Show:
Steins;Gate

Also, I noticed that there's no category for characters with no gender, so:

Best No Gender Character:
Kyubey (Puella Magi Madoka Magica).
Gen Urobuchi (writer) has stated that Kyubey has no gender.

Also, as you asked:
Best British DVD Release:
Sound of the Sky

Oh yeah, Star Driver finished this year, for some reason I had that down as all 2010. Would probably have got a shout somewhere in Best Soundtrack, at the very least.

VoxPhantom said:
the genre of squid girls.
How did I forget that this was a genre?! :lol:

MaxonTreik said:
Best Female Character

Winner: Ume "Kurumi" Kurumizawa (Kimi ni Todoke)
Great shout.

vashdaman said:
I watched all or "enough" of 79 shows last year

I find this both incredibly scary and incredibly impressive.

Do you live in a hyperbolic time chamber by any chance? If not, PLEASE TEACH ME!
It sounds like waaay more than it is. If you think of it as 20 shows a season, with three or four of them dropped after <5 eps, you only have to find time for 16/17 episodes a week, and I watch 12 while I'm running or exercising so that only leaves ~1.5-2 hours of stuff to watch during lunch time at work or something over the course of the week.

You manage to watch anime during your lunch break(and for that matter, while your running? how is that possible?), that's awesome! Your living the dream, Ilmae.

Lunch break = watching anime on iPhone, running = I have a networked PC in the same room as my treadmill (but could go to the gym and use the things on the treadmill that let you hook your iPhone up to a screen, too).

Ha, that's pretty cool how you've got your treadmill set up. The first thing that comes to my mind when people talk of running, is running outside, so I had an image of you running along with a portable DVD player watching anime :lol:

I didn't even think of Iphone's either to be honest, since I've been using the same Samsung D500 since 2005,and even that I hardly even turn on due to my irritation with portable communication.....

Back