Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BBQ with Shelf for more meat and side shelves for meat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tachi

Mushi-shi
Hello People,

Need a bit of advice, So i'm entrusting you all for your opinion on what BBQ i should buy.

Its just a cheap one because it's only set to last me a year or two (though will be used alot!) But i need to know what ones best by friday as i'm holding a BBQ on the weekend.

So far i'm torn between BBQ's, shame i can't find one that has both a shelf and a lid :(

Shelves:
Wilko Florida Barbecue Trolley Large£25.00
Tesco rectangular charcoal bbq £26.66

Lids:
Wilko Tennessee BBQ Smoker Square £32.00
Argos Square Smoker Charcoal BBQ £39.99

If anyone else can find a decent priced (£50 or under) with both a shelf (on the sides of the BBQ for holding meat or beer) AND a lid then i'll be eternally grateful.

I'd go with shelves since it saves you having to use tables to put the cooked stuff on, it gives you space to put uncooked food on and makes serving people a bit easier. I also never really saw the point of lids anyway since you need to keep an eye on the food all the time.

Maxon said:
I'd go with shelves since it saves you having to use tables to put the cooked stuff on, it gives you space to put uncooked food on and makes serving people a bit easier. I also never really saw the point of lids anyway since you need to keep an eye on the food all the time.

Cheers,

In honesty i'm not entirely sure why lids help (unless your smoking it?) But they make it look nice,

The shelves are alot more helpful, especially as i won't have any space to put the meat.

Which shelf one would you buy?

Probably the Tesco based purely on the top shelf. The Wilko top shelf looks pretty small.

Edit: Actually, the Tesco one also has hooks for hanging cooking utensils.

Maxon said:
Probably the Tesco based purely on the top shelf. The Wilko top shelf looks pretty small.

Edit: Actually, the Tesco one also has hooks for hanging cooking utensils.

Good shout.

Lid lid lid lid lid.
  • You can control the temperature — the rate of cooking can be slowed down as and when necessary. (Use the vent at the top to control this.)
  • You can use indirect heating (allowing for rib smoking and slow cooking)
  • You can cook food on a hotplate over the grill without sacrificing smoked flavour, allowing for a lower risk of hamburgers crumbling into the coals.
  • Preparing tandoori dishes become more plausible if heat is being circulated around the food

Shelves shelves shelves shelves.

I've always thought the lids were rather meaningless actually, but Zin5ki does raise a few good points. (Though it does make me think I may as well use an oven for a lot of it).

Gahhhhhh they are really good points.

I'd like shelves and a lid but don't want to pay £100 for it :(

Gotta keep looking.

-Tachi- said:
Gahhhhhh they are really good points.

I'd like shelves and a lid but don't want to pay £100 for it :(

Gotta keep looking.

Buy it, and sell it in two years when you don't need it? Surely someone would want a well loved grill? lol.

Yeah i suppose so (noticed you and jayme both like the pic of me cooking.... im guessing because i looked like a retard in it ;) )

Thaks to all thats suggested atm, further suggestions and indeed if anyone comes across a decent BBQ let me know and i'll see if its what i'm aiming for :)

otherwise the poll will decide my bbq choice in the end.

-Tachi- said:
Yeah i suppose so (noticed you and jayme both like the pic of me cooking.... im guessing because i looked like a retard in it ;) )

You must pose like that for a picture this weekend when cooking again! :p

Also, dude, you can cook correctly for a barbecue? (i.e. not all burnt ****). You're preference should shine through if you enjoy preparing and doing them.

I'd say shelf. It's easier to pull in/out of shed/garage with the wheels, you can cook meat while people are eating anyways (and it's not like you cant ask for some help while you munch into it), you have somewhere to put plates on for easier plating-up, and I'd rather the grill spread out lengthways rather than making it look fatter (especially if you store it in a garage and you want to walk past it).

Jaymii said:
If one continues to repeat that word above a certain frequency, one ends up tongue-tied. (I end up uttering "shevshevshev".)

The same cannot be said about repeating the word "lid". There's another advantage.

In fairness though, ribs and chicken pieces can be started in the oven and finished over the coals, so one may enjoy an extensive barbecue cuisine without owning a lid.

Zin5ki said:
Jaymii said:
If one continues to repeat that word above a certain frequency, one ends up tongue-tied. (I end up uttering "shevshevshev".)

The same cannot be said about repeating the word "lid". There's another advantage.
Nope. Saying "lid" repeatedly eventually ends up "dulih dulih dulih dulih dulih".

Shirayuri said:
-Tachi- said:

You must pose like that for a picture this weekend when cooking again! :p

Fair enough, i'll pose with one cooking outside though.

Jaymii said:
Also, dude, you can cook correctly for a barbecue? (i.e. not all burnt ****). You're preference should shine through if you enjoy preparing and doing them.

Yup, Can cook on gas/electric and bbq.

Went to Saisbury's on the way home yesterday, Ended up buying a BBQ with both a LID and SHELVES :D £29.99 Really lucky as it was last on the shelf and wasn't on their website when i checked it yesterday so bargain!!!

Looks similar to this

43inch cooking distance. Can't wait to set it all up :)

Back