BBFC ratings on games

GrantM

Dandy Guy, in Space
Have you noticed a lot of recently released games having BBFC ratings on them instead of the PEGI ratings they use?

I wonder why that it is so because normally I noticed BBFC ratings on really violent games like the Grand Theft Auto games

There are a number of BBFC rated games, as I think parents are more familiar with the symbols used like U,PG,12 etc and trust it more that the PEGI style ratings.

Also, some publishers submit for their game to go to the BBFC because it may contain content that is 'unsuitable' for that age group. For example Ninja Gaiden and the decapations involved in the game was taken out of it and was rated 16+ by the PEGI system.
For the release of Ninja Gaiden Black however - it has been put to the BBFC for a more clarified rating and decapations are back in apparently! So it will probably be marked 15/18 by the BBFC.

The thing about the BBFC is that it is UK law for it to be complied while the PEGI system is not, so it's probably a good thing that more games are rated like that and UK only as well! :wink:
________
Honda RA302

I'd say about half of them are 18 cert, basically because the copmanies will sell more that way. (it being 'controversial' and all)

Because the boundaries are 12,15,18 for BBFC and 11(?),16,18 for PEGI, some games in the 15/16 range try for a BBFC certificate so they can legally sell the game to 15 year olds. Half-Life 2 is one such example, pre-release it was a 16, but then it became a 15...

BBFC is legally enforced, but PEGI is just a guide. I consider rating of games to be unecessary is most cases, as you'll see worse on the news.

Back