BBFC Passed Anime Updates

A Studio Ghibli movie with a 12 rating is pretty rare. The only other one is Grave of the Fireflies. Even Princess Mononoke only has a PG rating, even though it's pretty graphic at times (standards were quite different back in the 90s).
I'd say it would probably still warrant a PG rating as usual but the BBFC always rate higher when there are instances of self harm or suicide, especially if done by a minor.

A Studio Ghibli movie with a 12 rating is pretty rare. The only other one is Grave of the Fireflies. Even Princess Mononoke only has a PG rating, even though it's pretty graphic at times (standards were quite different back in the 90s).
There was a Studio Canal release of Spirited Away that got a 12 rating too.

Edit: I have it somewhere packed away but found this pic online.
Screenshot_20231120_173508_eBay.jpg

I was wondering why it was a 12 and isn't anymore. Apparently it's because the subtitles in one of the extras show Miyazaki saying "****" - then they decided to just remove the subs from that line and the rating got knocked down to a PG.

How many sales did Miyazaki's foul mouth cost Optimum?!

Edit: Why can't we swear on AUKN? The BBFC has decreed the word that rhymes with "truck" is OK for 12 year olds to read and there's definitely nobody anywhere near that age here! 😅

Big load of AL title just went up.
1200px-BBFC_PG_2019.svg.png

Harmonie
Blue Thermal

1701334065317-png.31594

Mobile Fighter G-Gundam Part 2
Shirobako

1701334073269-png.31595

Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3

Last edited:
29436-b5888e398d0460db7b8f9b0a0f93bcff.png

A Galaxy Next Door - mild injury detail, brief bloody images, brief mild violence, mild sex references, mild bad language.

1701334065317.png

Granbelm - sexualised images, moderate fantasy violence, bloody images, brief knife threat, moderate sex references.

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - moderate violence, bloody images.

Somali and the Forest Spirit - moderate fantasy violence, bloody images.

1701334073269.png

Science Fell in Love So I Tried to Prove It - strong sex references, violence, bloody images.

The Great Pretender - drug misuse, brief sexualised nudity, strong bloody violence, child trafficking theme, sexual violence.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Season 1 & 2 - strong sex references, sexualised nudity, sexual assault.

Back