Bandai threaten fansubbers over Solid State Society

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
In a press release recently issued to several major US anime websites, North American DVD distributor Bandai have sent out a stark warning to those planning to produce or distribute fansubs of Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society.

“Fansubs, even those not sold for profit, are harmful to our properties and industry overall and we will be watching closely to make sure our rights regarding SSS are not infringed,â€

lol love to see them do something about it, they can't touch fansubbers in sweden or else piratebay and other bittorrent sites would of died along time ago

It's all about supply and demand, really. As long as it takes months (sometimes even years) for anime to reach Western shores, the fans will find other ways of getting their fix. If Bandai really wanted to put a to stop to the people fansubbing their anime, then they should be moving towards worldwide simultaneous releases.

Some people are always going to want everything for free, so forget them. Bandai (and all the Western anime companies) are going to have to work with the fans (rather an against) if they want to get out of the current routine. These empty threats do nothing but cause a lot of bother for a few days and then it's back to the same old.

With this threat is this a possible hint that it may be released in the UK and US at the same time on DVD like KARAS? We shall see.

Another threat, when Bandai actually start doing realese world wide then I will stop relying on fan-subbers, but for now they get me the fix I need when I need it, god bless'em all

hmm..i don't really tend to watch fansubs all the time but there is a few i will, but i think in a way it would have been better just to release it in the US and UK at the same time as it would mean there is less fansubs

I'll say this much, if they get snippy about something they make in japan and arn't releasing in the English terotory (say, Keroro Gunsou) then they can kiss it.

Conan-san said:
I'll say this much, if they get snippy about something they make in japan and arn't releasing in the English terotory (say, Keroro Gunsou) then they can kiss it.

They aren't going to, because they can't say anything until they own the rights to it.

I can see why they are protecting Ghost in the Shell and if they get the Anime dubbed released in US and UK within say a month of the Japan release then they can issue warnings but if they're going to take years releasing it then its there own fault.

It's greed pure and simple but it's actually worse than that, they are biting the hand that feeds. It's just common sense not to annoy the fans who want what you put your name to, coz duh without loyal anime fans they are out of a job

“Fansubs, even those not sold for profit, are harmful to our properties and industry overallâ€

RichB06 said:
It's greed pure and simple but it's actually worse than that, they are biting the hand that feeds. It's just common sense not to annoy the fans who want what you put your name to, coz duh without loyal anime fans they are out of a job

“Fansubs, even those not sold for profit, are harmful to our properties and industry overallâ€

McIcy said:
Yep never ever paid for a fan sub, thats why they are called fan subs as in subbed by fans for fans, one big community

has anyone ever paid? No,

plus the idea of bandai theartening people is quite amusing.

Like there gunna go to every fan subbers house and say "we're gunna beat up there mum if you don't stop"

Guyver 0 said:
McIcy said:
Yep never ever paid for a fan sub, thats why they are called fan subs as in subbed by fans for fans, one big community

has anyone ever paid? No,

plus the idea of bandai theartening people is quite amusing.

Like there gunna go to every fan subbers house and say "we're gunna beat up there mum if you don't stop"
Lots of people have paid for fansubs, which is why so many are sold on E-bay. If they didn't sell then no-one would bother trying.

As for what they can do to those who distribute fansubs, they can sue them for copyright violations and other related violations. They have the right to have websites removed where links to download the title are available. There are lots of things they can do to prevent distribution and they have merely stated that they will pursue any and/or all of them as they see fit should they encounter it.

Is it really so hard for people to just y'know...be patient until stuff is available here?

I've seen people say it here and plenty of other places..."OMG Naruto dub suxxx, fansubs are 703 episodes instead, so I'll stick with that".

Really, that's proof fansubs are damaging legit stuff.

I don't doubt for a second that a lot of people who watch fansubs DO also support official releases, but the fact is...if even ONE person avoids the official release in favour of fansubs, the subs are stealing custom.

Using the wait as an excuse is LAME...a movie named See No Evil came out in America in May, but hasn't come out here at all yet, and I don't know if it ever will. I want to see it, but I haven't felt an overwhelming urge to download some crappy version taped from a cinema in Ohio with a DV cam. I can wait to see if/when it's out here...the wait isn't gonna kill me.

I'm sure someone will try to argue it's different, but it's really not...it's a "fan"-made piece of crap to download for free instead of waiting and patying for it.

Other than the need to be "cool" and see something before the general public, I really don't see the point of fansubs.

Bandai are just openly voicing the policy all copyright holders have - the difference being, SSS's release will be a very significant event. Companies such as them reserve the right to prosecute but most don't see the need to exercise it.

It's fair enough really. The film is already licenced so the more honest fansub groups/sites won't bother with it anyway - the unscrupulous minority who flout this informal code of conduct will just find some other way (e.g. bootlegs). The reason why Bandai are being so in-your-face about this release is how lucrative it is.

My only criticism is this bit, which is both self-contradictory and a tired old excuse.
Fansubs, even those not sold for profit, are harmful to our properties and industry overall ...
It's been said so many times I don't know why they still bother.

Back